Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by diver858
Yes. As an EXP last year, I made several award reservation changes, bonus was always credited at ticketing, rarely clawed back when a reservation was cancelled.
It is ALWAYS clawed back if a re-deposit happens, whether it's a cancel or change that required re-deposit (Citi think it's a cancel even on a change).

The reason you don't notice it is because it doesn't show on the mileage activity as a clawback, your balance is just short the X amount beginning next statement. (Look back if you don't believe it)

I've posted this in a separate thread and it has been confirmed by multiple AA agents as a glitch of sorts, especially if you made a change (that requires re-deposit) and if you already hit the 10% cap, you'll need an agent to return those miles manually since it will not be automatic.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Unhappy

FYI... Chase cards 'trip interruption, cancellati insurance is a sham...
Recently I suffered a 'trip interruption when the ship I was on suffered engine failure
Due to 'tainted' fuel and was towed into Duqm OMAN after just transiting the Yemani border.... We had NO AC NO food preparation, NO propulsion and slept on deck to escape the heat...then a 13 hour BUS ride to DuBai...
The chase insurance REFUSED to cover the thousands in additional expenses...
Thus committing Constructive Fraud in denying coverage, be careful with CSP, Freedom and Ink Plus as they engage in deceptive practices....
Old Apr 6, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by frudd38
I've posted this in a separate thread and it has been confirmed by multiple AA agents as a glitch of sorts, especially if you made a change (that requires re-deposit) and if you already hit the 10% cap, you'll need an agent to return those miles manually since it will not be automatic.
I encountered this today. The agent seemed thoroughly confused. She got a supervisor who initially stated that I had already hit the cap and then when I pushed back stating that the award had been reinstated and as such, they should credit me the miles for the subsequent award ticket, she said she'd log an investigation and that it'd take up to 15 days?!?

I swear, the 45 minutes I spent on the phone with her, plus the time it'll take them to "investigate", it would have been cheaper to just credit the 5500 miles to my account.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I just wanted to report that I got a 10% discount on miles used to upgrade AA metal for this weekend. I had a Y fare to LHR and was only charged 13,500 miles to upgrade to C.

It posted as 15,000 mile upgrade reward with a rebate of 750 miles each for the Barclay Aviators and Citi AA cards (I have both). So I got the 10% rebate, or 1500 miles back.

Nice that it works for upgrades. ^

I was surprised to see the rebate as 2 separate 750 mile transactions reflecting both cards rather than just one 1500 mile transaction.

If it ultimately means I end up with 20k in rebates, then I'm for it.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Superguy
I just wanted to report
1. Don't count on those miles staying. I've had it happen before and AA took most of the extra miles back, claiming an error on their part but letting me keep some of them as a grace measure. But that was with multiple Citi cards, this would depend if AA wants to do the rebates separately for Citi and Barclay cardholders (note: multiple accounts with the same issuer only qualify for one set of 10,000 mile rebates). I think AA wants that done per AAdvantage account holder, and not per cardholder, so I wouldn't spend those miles too quickly.

<redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 17, 2015 at 2:31 am Reason: Removed referenced to wrong thread, posts have been moved
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
1. Don't count on those miles staying. I've had it happen before and AA took most of the extra miles back, claiming an error on their part but letting me keep some of them as a grace measure. But that was with multiple Citi cards, this would depend if AA wants to do the rebates separately for Citi and Barclay cardholders (note: multiple accounts with the same issuer only qualify for one set of 10,000 mile rebates). I think AA wants that done per AAdvantage account holder, and not per cardholder, so I wouldn't spend those miles too quickly.
I'm thinking the rebate will stay as they were 5% each. I'm not counting on more than 10k in rebates for having both. Just wishful thinking.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Superguy
I just wanted to report that I got a 10% discount on miles used to upgrade AA metal for this weekend. I had a Y fare to LHR and was only charged 13,500 miles to upgrade to C.

It posted as 15,000 mile upgrade reward with a rebate of 750 miles each for the Barclay Aviators and Citi AA cards (I have both). So I got the 10% rebate, or 1500 miles back.

Nice that it works for upgrades. ^

I was surprised to see the rebate as 2 separate 750 mile transactions reflecting both cards rather than just one 1500 mile transaction.

If it ultimately means I end up with 20k in rebates, then I'm for it.
This post and its replies have been moved here from another unrelated thread.

~Moderator
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Data point to confirm that if you carry both you only get 5% on each card, or at least some percentage breakdown that equals to a total of 10%. To be exact it looks like it broke down to be 33% on one card and 66% on the other card. Not sure why.

Booked two F award tickets to EU for the summer so if we were to get 20% back it would have shown. Instead this is what I got:

ZP62X5A NA-EUR FIRST OW TKT 04/05/15 0 3,125
ZP62X5A NA-EUR FIRST OW TKT 04/05/15 0 3,125
ZP62X5A NA-EUR FIRST OW TKT 04/05/15 0 1,875
ZP62X5A NA-EUR FIRST OW TKT 04/05/15 0 1,875

Totaling 10k miles rebate...

Full disclosure I have the AA platinum card, the AA exec, and the Barclays us card (haven't gotten it in the mail yet but I assume it's red)

Go Gators
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I just did a 55k redemption but accidentally put it on my Citi Exec card instead of US Airways Barclays card so no 10% back. Can I call and ask them to or better to just cancel the original and rebook using my Barclays card?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by uscjeff
I just did a 55k redemption but accidentally put it on my Citi Exec card instead of US Airways Barclays card so no 10% back. Can I call and ask them to or better to just cancel the original and rebook using my Barclays card?
You don't have to use the card to get the rebate. It's tied to your AAdvantage account.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:45 pm

i thought the citi exec $450 AF card was not eligible for the 10% rebate on award redemptions...been checking multiple sites and getting conflicting answers

recently made a large 105K award flight redemption and still got 10% back...
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rove312
It seems to be one per account. ...
This is my experience. I have 2 US Barclays cards and 1 AA Citi card. Just booked an itin that used 360,000 miles and had this show up:

CITI 10% AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS 2015 4,500 4,500
BARCLAYS 10% AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS 2015 4,500 4,500
CITI 10% AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS 2015 500 500
BARCLAYS 10% AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS 2015 500 500

So, total of 10,000 miles returned.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
From what I can tell reading through this thread, the bonus credit of the miles post instantly, however from a 60,000 AAdvantage award mile booking made on March 1st the 10% credit has yet to be applied.

Perhaps it is because I only have access to this benefit through my Barclaycard Aviator Red card, a benefit that was not brought to the AAdvantage program until 2Q15. Does that seem logical? If so, I guess I am out of luck.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: AS gold
I have done four transactions that were eligible for the 10% rebate. None of them posted automatically. Called them a month after ticketing and in every case the rebate then posted within two weeks.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by gamzarme
From what I can tell reading through this thread, the bonus credit of the miles post instantly, however from a 60,000 AAdvantage award mile booking made on March 1st the 10% credit has yet to be applied.

Perhaps it is because I only have access to this benefit through my Barclaycard Aviator Red card, a benefit that was not brought to the AAdvantage program until 2Q15. Does that seem logical? If so, I guess I am out of luck.
You won't get the rebate on that booking as you weren't an AAdvantage cardholder at the time of reservation.

If you're EXP, and the award was still available for a new booking, you could cancel and rebook and likely get it, but otherwise you'd have to pay $150 to redeposit the miles and that would not be worth it. You'll have to book a new award now to get the 10% rebate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.