Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by bfwolf
I was just approved for a new AAdvantage platinum personal card. I was hoping to make an award redemption in 6 days, but doubt I'll have the card by then. Is it correct to assume that the 10% miles rebate only applies after I've activated the card?
If you go to your AA.com account, and it says "AAdvantage card-member" under your mileage balance on the home page - the benefit should be tied to your account at that point and it will rebate. Check your profile out and log in .
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by jtav559
If you go to your AA.com account, and it says "AAdvantage card-member" under your mileage balance on the home page - the benefit should be tied to your account at that point and it will rebate. Check your profile out and log in .
It does say that, but I also have the CitiBusiness card, which doesn't have the rebate. I assume it would say that even if all I had was the CitiBusiness card?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Lifetime Platinum, AA
Is the 10 per cent redeemed miles back really ending?

I complained to Barclay when this was announced and told them that they should at least match Citi benefits like double miles on restaurants. I got back a message telling me to call customer service, which I ignored, figuring it was going to be some mealy-mouthed apologia about the wonders of companion tickets, etc. Meanwhile this week I got a form letter about my renewal mentioning all the benefits -- including the 10 per cent miles back. This time I called customer service and asked why I was getting a misleading letter like that when the benefit is ending in a matter of weeks. The customer service rep told me that so many card owners complained that the benefit was being retained. I looked on here and on the Barclay website for confirmation but have found nothing. Does anyone know what's going on? I spent a lot on this card the past year and am wondering if this is a targeted benefit. Or, conversely, if the customer service guy was full of crap.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Yes, it is correct. Act fast.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Lindsy
I complained to Barclay when this was announced and told them that they should at least match Citi benefits like double miles on restaurants. I got back a message telling me to call customer service, which I ignored, figuring it was going to be some mealy-mouthed apologia about the wonders of companion tickets, etc. Meanwhile this week I got a form letter about my renewal mentioning all the benefits -- including the 10 per cent miles back. This time I called customer service and asked why I was getting a misleading letter like that when the benefit is ending in a matter of weeks. The customer service rep told me that so many card owners complained that the benefit was being retained. I looked on here and on the Barclay website for confirmation but have found nothing. Does anyone know what's going on? I spent a lot on this card the past year and am wondering if this is a targeted benefit. Or, conversely, if the customer service guy was full of crap.
I obviously cannot speak to Customer Service, but the below is what is on my card account. I also have no status:

10% Miles Back - This benefit will end May 1, 2019

10% of your redeemed miles back (10,000 miles maximum per calendar year).
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it based on reservation date or ticketing? If i book tonight (4/30) but it doesn't go through right away is there any recourse?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by azepine00
Is it based on reservation date or ticketing? If i book tonight (4/30) but it doesn't go through right away is there any recourse?
If I have it right, it’s based on ticketing; the moment that the mileage is removed, the bonus (if not exceeded for the year) is reflected in the activity history of your AA account).

I would be very glad if I was wrong but it’s almost a moot point now.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:23 pm

10% kickback still working as of 11:15 PM ET...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.