Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:53 pm

Would upgrading an old AA award invoke recently acquired credit card's 10% rebate?

I redeemed an AAdvantage award some time ago. Recently, I acquired the Barclays Aviator Red Card, which offers the 10% back on redeemed miles each calendar year. However I acquired the card after having made my redemption.

If I were to upgrade my existing award (to first), I understand some sort of 'reissue' or 'reticketing' takes place (indeed, the change fee is suppose to be waived in such a situation, where the change involves an upgrade, so I understand it). Would this be such a reissuing as to invoke the 10% refund associated with the card, even though the original ticketing date was before I got the card?

I will probably call the card's line to get their take on it, but it can't hurt to hear from someone who has actually done this, or knows something definitive about this.

Hope this is the right forum for this.

Thanks
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:52 am

It should.

I had the opposite experience. I had a CC while making a redemption, so received the 10% rebate initially. I then upgraded the award. The upgrade process consisted of an reinstated followed by another redemption, and the reinstatement triggered a clawback of the 10% rebate miles.

In your case, the redemption should trigger the awarding of the 10% rebate.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:10 pm

AA Mile rebate tricks?

I have to get an international flight for 90K (AAnytime) for 4 people. So that’s 360K Miles total. It sucks but it’s better than paying $1,800/ticket. Before I purchase them, are there any rebate tricks to know about? We have the Citi Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard. Would signing up for a new card be beneficial? Is there anything else I can do to get some of those miles back?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Tricks? bad word

But you might want to consider:

https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards...astercard.html

For $95 you get 60K and miles back on award ticket
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zebranz
Tricks? bad word

But you might want to consider:

https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards...astercard.html

For $95 you get 60K and miles back on award ticket
N.B. You get 10% of your miles back but it is capped at 10K per year.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:10 pm

I noticed in the terms and conditions it referenced you may not be eligible if you HAD or HAVE the card. Anyone know the particulars? I HAD one and took advantage of this offer about a year ago, then cancelled the card.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
At $1,800, I might considering buying the ticket. I usually redeem my AA miles for more than 2 cents a mile. I typically use them only for partner travel on Etihad/Qatar/JAL/Cathay.
fedechat likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
The 10% rebate, although pretty much instantaneous now, requires that you have the full 360,000 miles in your account.

I would also consider a few things:
1) You will need to split the purchase into two different accounts, since there is a cap on the number of miles you can purchase in a year. That's an extra $30.
2) Even with the current bonus, you will be spending about $7,200 to purchase 360,000 miles outright (once you factor in the excise tax and processing fees)--i.e., the same amount of money as purchasing 4 x $1800 tickets. This does not include any taxes you would have to pay on the award tickets themselves.
3) By using miles, you also lose the miles you would earn on a revenue ticket. In this case, depending on how much the taxes (which are subtracted) are, that's ~35,000 miles (assuming the standard rate of 5 miles/$).

Of course, you might really need the flexibility of an AAnytime award, in which case, $7,200 might be a deal. But otherwise, I think it's better to purchase the revenue tickets.
CJR likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:14 pm

I have about 800,000 Miles in my account now so I have enough but I just hate getting such a mediocre value for them. If I bought a revenue ticket, I’d get more miles as well as 3x points with the Chase Sapphire Reserve card? Or would it be better to use my Citicard if I purchased revenue tickets? I could also do 2 award tickets and 2 revenue tickets. Tough decisions...
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Did you check the price for round trip? keep in mind international oneway is usually more expensive than round trip. Can you tell us the route and dates? did you try to look for OW partners?.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:47 pm

Yeah but it’s a multi-city flight.

STL to AKL Dec 20
MEL to STL Jan 17

i just looked at aa.com, I didn’t realize there were other sites to check? Is that right??
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mac1986
Yeah but it’s a multi-city flight.

STL to AKL Dec 20
MEL to STL Jan 17

i just looked at aa.com, I didn’t realize there were other sites to check? Is that right??
Looks like you are going on a cruise, perhaps. Have a nice time.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Since you have so many miles (and I would apply a discount on their marginal value given how many miles you have), it might be worth using miles. But 90K for economy one-way!

If you are flexible about routing, I would also think about connecting through Asia. For example, there appear to be four J tickets to Tokyo on 12/19 (STL-ORD-SFO-HND), which would be 60k miles per person (I haven't called in to confirm that AA can see them, and my guess is that they are not going to last long). You would still need to get from TYO to AKL, but you could simply buy a revenue ticket for that leg (I see award availability to Australia but not New Zealand).

Anyways, my point is that there are possible better ways to use your miles and still get to AKL—unless, of course, you value the one-stop itinerary that a 90K AAnytime award would give you.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Didn't expect this but got 10% back on a Miles + Copay upgrade redemption I just made. Makes that upgrade an even better value! Nice extra perk
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
When does the rebate take effect?

I just applied for a Barclay card yesterday and I was instantly approved. I still have 100k+ Aadvantage miles I'd like to book to use the 10% rebate by end of the year. Do I have to wait to activate the card for my account to be eligible or can I already make a reservation & get the rebate right away? I can put some reservations on hold to make sure the seats don't go away...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.