Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by ucsddeej
...From reading this thread, I assume that I will actually need 60,500 miles in my account to actually do this, as they will claw back my original 5500 miles and the new "rebate" wouldn't go through since I have already gotten my 10K for 2016. Is this correct?
Yes. While the account activity will show the full "reinstate award" line of 55K, the total activity balance at the bottom will be 5.5K short.

eta: You would then have your current balance plus 49.5 redeposited miles. The request to redeposit and request to pull the miles for the new award are entered one right after the other. Without your forethought to top up you would be short the 110K needed for the new F NA-ASIA award.

Last edited by alien; Mar 23, 2016 at 7:12 am
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Originally Posted by alien
2nd Update & Final Resolution: This was finally resolved today. I happened to make a new award and my account activity showed the mileage redemption followed by mileage credits, in 1K increments altering between CITI and Barclays, for the 10% rebate. (So, if I had not made the new redemption I am thinking I would have had to call back and again direct them to other existing award reservations that the 10% could be reapplied to.)
My case is the same except that I've already received the this year's 10k bonus from other redemptions.

Last year, I booked a J award for 55k - 5.5k = 49.5k miles.

This year, I upgraded that award to F and paid 67.5k miles.

The booking agent assured me that I will pay additional 12.5k (67.5 - 55). Do I have to get AAgent to manually reimburse me 5.5k miles?

(Due to AAgent's incompetence, 67.5k miles came out of my account and the reimbursed miles went into my dad's account. But that's another story..)
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by eethan
My case is the same except that I've already received the this year's 10k bonus from other redemptions.

Last year, I booked a J award for 55k - 5.5k = 49.5k miles.

This year, I upgraded that award to F and paid 67.5k miles.

The booking agent assured me that I will pay additional 12.5k (67.5 - 55). Do I have to get AAgent to manually reimburse me 5.5k miles?

(Due to AAgent's incompetence, 67.5k miles came out of my account and the reimbursed miles went into my dad's account. But that's another story..)
I'm not clear on your circumstances...

In 2015 you booked a 55K J award.
55K was taken from you account.
5.5K rebate from CITI was deposited into your account.
This year you booked an award where the full miles were taken out of your account and you subsequently were rebated the max 10K from CITI.
You then upgraded last year's 55K J award to an F 67.5 award.

So, 67.5 miles for the new F award was taken from your account?
The "55K" reinstatement was a line item in your father's account activity? *In reality 49.5 was reinstated as reflected in the Total Miles Posted being off by the 5.5K*
And, you're looking to recoup the 5.5K clawback from a 2015 55K award that was reinstated this year?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Choice Plat
10% rebate is good but it is turning out to be pain in my case...i had some redemptions last year and one of them had to be cancelled and redeposited this year and 10K was clawed back despite sum of all my last year redemptions still exceeds 10K

on top of that I had to cancel and redeposit couple of redemptions this year and its same story..calculations dont add up

AAAgents are more confused and its waste of time to explain all the details so in the end I feel I lost some miles due to this
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:55 am

I made a booking last year to fly this year (actually just completed the trip). I got the 10K AA rebate last year, but because a change was made last month, the refund was minus 10K and the re-book was for the full amount. In short, I'm short 10K. I called last month and was told that AA would do their monthly "review" for this known problem (their words) on 3/8. That has passed and I'm still short 10K. I dread calling them again for this, as I got nowhere last time. Any tips? I know others have had this problem before.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by alien
I'm not clear on your circumstances...

In 2015 you booked a 55K J award.
55K was taken from you account.
5.5K rebate from CITI was deposited into your account.
This year you booked an award where the full miles were taken out of your account and you subsequently were rebated the max 10K from CITI.
You then upgraded last year's 55K J award to an F 67.5 award.

So, 67.5 miles for the new F award was taken from your account?
The "55K" reinstatement was a line item in your father's account activity? *In reality 49.5 was reinstated as reflected in the Total Miles Posted being off by the 5.5K*
And, you're looking to recoup the 5.5K clawback from a 2015 55K award that was reinstated this year?
That's more or less the idea. - Only minor diff is that 49.5k miles were redeemed from my dad's account last year, redeposited last week, and 67.5k miles were redeemed from my account.

AA should just be charging the mileage difference - which means redepositing 55k and charging 67.5k.

You guys may have better luck calling AA customer care and getting them to manually add the miles.

As for me, equipment change downgraded the only F segment in my 67.5k "F" award. So, effectively, I have a 100% J award for now... not going to bring this to AA's attention for now.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 4:22 pm

Anyone had luck in getting AA to correct their balances?

Mine are still off, and I'm considering talking to AA customer care, since in the past they have been able to just drop miles instantly into my account.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:02 am

How soon after approval for the Citi AA card am I eligible for the 10% rebate? For example, if I apply now and am approved, and then make an award booking later tonight or tomorrow, will I get the rebate? Or will I need to have a card in hand, activated?
Old May 12, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Double dip possible with 2nd card?

I've read the FAQ but curious about a hypothetical scenario.

I have Citi Visa currently, and have already received max 10K rebate this year.

If I cancel Visa first, then apply for Citi MC, get approved, and redeem awards worth 100K this year, can I again get a 10K rebate?
Old May 12, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: UA/AA
I am inclined to believe this perk is linked by your frequent flyer account and thus switching cc would not achieve your desired result. Let me know how it goes.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:03 am

alien, DaveinLA: any luck getting AA to correct your balances? - your comment about how AA told you they'll auto-correct it in their monthly review - sounds like BS.

I did search before asking and don't believe our questions have been answered before...
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by eethan
alien, DaveinLA: any luck getting AA to correct your balances? - your comment about how AA told you they'll auto-correct it in their monthly review - sounds like BS.

I did search before asking and don't believe our questions have been answered before...
There was no automatic correction, and I've been too lazy to call. I will try to get to it this week and will update here when I do.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:20 pm

If I'm understanding anecdotal evidence on this thread:

Say I have 50,000 miles in my account and book a theoretical award for 50,000.
I get back 5,000 miles a rebate.
I then add 5,000 miles to my account for a total of 10,000.
A seat in a higher cabin becomes available for 60,000 miles.
I call to upgrade the ticket and it will book successfully with the 10,000 additional miles needed from the original 50,000 I redeemed.

I know I have used the rebate several times, including with upgraded awards. I just can't see any of the history that far back to figure out what exactly happens. One would expect that when you call to book the higher award, the AA agent is able to do it because you have the miles needed. I just don't remember exactly, though I do recall somewhat, that booking the higher cabin will drop the original miles back and the new cabin would be booked using a total of all miles required for that cabin. I just don't know if it all works out so that the rebate miles are usable or the flow of operations is more like - miles redeposit, rebate clawed back, ticket re-booked, rebate newly applied. If that's the case, I would not have enough miles if using the rebate miles from the original booking.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
If I'm understanding anecdotal evidence on this thread:

Say I have 50,000 miles in my account and book a theoretical award for 50,000.
I get back 5,000 miles a rebate.
I then add 5,000 miles to my account for a total of 10,000.
A seat in a higher cabin becomes available for 60,000 miles.
I call to upgrade the ticket and it will book successfully with the 10,000 additional miles needed from the original 50,000 I redeemed.

I know I have used the rebate several times, including with upgraded awards. I just can't see any of the history that far back to figure out what exactly happens. One would expect that when you call to book the higher award, the AA agent is able to do it because you have the miles needed. I just don't remember exactly, though I do recall somewhat, that booking the higher cabin will drop the original miles back and the new cabin would be booked using a total of all miles required for that cabin. I just don't know if it all works out so that the rebate miles are usable or the flow of operations is more like - miles redeposit, rebate clawed back, ticket re-booked, rebate newly applied. If that's the case, I would not have enough miles if using the rebate miles from the original booking.
Actually it doesn't work that way.. I asked. same scenario
They actually redeposit your miles so that bonus from booking has now disappeared.. so you can't count on those miles..
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by duranza
Actually it doesn't work that way.. I asked. same scenario
They actually redeposit your miles so that bonus from booking has now disappeared.. so you can't count on those miles..
Thanks. Half expected that had been sorted out. I guess the only thing that sucks about that is if you book in 2016 and upgrade in 2017, you miss out on maximizing your 10% for 2016.

Last edited by hyperzulu; Jun 11, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.