Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It's tied to the AAdvantage account. Only redemption activity from your account gets you the 10% rebate.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:47 pm

You don't need to use the card to pay for the taxes to get the discount. Being a cardholder is sufficient.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by dave_SEA
I have a Citi AA credit card that advertises 10% back on rdeemed miles (up to 10K max)

Once your card has been approved and associated to the account, is this feature tied to the credit card or the actual Aadvantage account? I need to book award travel with miles coming from my wife's account, and wondering if I pay the taxes for the fare using my credit card.
For detailed information, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html (especially the wiki, which answers this & numerous other questions about the benefit).
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
super, thanks all!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:39 pm

I have the barclays red aviator card.
the wiki says The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards, but it also says if i book for someone else i would get the rebate.
am i reading it right?
if I book award ticket for my family member, do i get the 10% rebate?
or i will only get the 10% rebate if i book for myself?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:11 pm

If you book an award using miles from your AA account, you get the rebate. It doesn't matter who gets the tickets.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by zaxon
I have the barclays red aviator card.
the wiki says The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards, but it also says if i book for someone else i would get the rebate.
am i reading it right?
if I book award ticket for my family member, do i get the 10% rebate?
or i will only get the 10% rebate if i book for myself?
What does it say under the heading
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Two bookings (pre devaluation) one in 2016, another in 2017, 10% rebate in both ?

I have just booked my second pre devaluation award. Both 'qualify' for the 10% rebate...
As the award flights are taken in
Two separate years, BUT are booked in this year...will I receive the rebate for the second award scheduled for January 2017 ?
I have contacted Aviator who directs me to AA ... Who does not seem to know a definitive answer....
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
The annual limit is based on when you booked and doesn't matter what year the flights are booked for (ie booking for 2017 is irrelevant).
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by aafreq
I have just booked my second pre devaluation award. Both 'qualify' for the 10% rebate...
As the award flights are taken in
Two separate years, BUT are booked in this year...will I receive the rebate for the second award scheduled for January 2017 ?
Originally Posted by armus
The annual limit is based on when you booked and doesn't matter what year the flights are booked for (ie booking for 2017 is irrelevant).
Correct, as explained in the wiki above (under Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?).
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:59 am

I'm looking to make 2 separate 90k bookings for myself and my wife. We are each cardholders, but all miles will come from my account (she's just short of 90k). I'm assuming I'll be capped at the 10k rebate? No way to get her advantage account rebated for her ticket, right?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by slice
I'm looking to make 2 separate 90k bookings for myself and my wife. We are each cardholders, but all miles will come from my account (she's just short of 90k). I'm assuming I'll be capped at the 10k rebate? No way to get her advantage account rebated for her ticket, right?
If she's only a few miles (<100) short, AA might spot her the rest.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slice
No. Miles have to come out of her account in order to get the 10% rebate.

You could calculate the cost of buying miles on the shortage to see if a 9K rebate worth the cost or not.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Plat
I booked an award ticket last October in J on CX for 55K miles, and immediately got my 5500 mile rebate. I want to try and get this upgraded to F if last minute CX award availability opens up - which would be a 55K mile difference with the new award chart. However, I have already hit my 10K mile rebate cap in 2016 for another award flight purchase.

From reading this thread, I assume that I will actually need 60,500 miles in my account to actually do this, as they will claw back my original 5500 miles and the new "rebate" wouldn't go through since I have already gotten my 10K for 2016. Is this correct?

I may be a few thousand miles short and am just deciding if I should transfer some SPG points just to be safe...
Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Not if you use them before they get their claws on them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.