Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Guess I'm the guinea pig here..and why you may need to hurry

I called and spoke first with AA reservations. They took my record locator and ticket #s but couldn't do anything. The lady transferred me to AAdvantage Customer Service after re-summarizing my situation.

Two keys:

1. Explain that you should have only been charged the difference for the upgraded award.
2. Go to your account summary/statement. There will be a line that shows you were refunded the entire amount from the original award. However, the numbers don't add up. For me, there was a difference in mileage balance between my March-end statement and April-beginning statement.

The agent wasn't able to explain this (10,000 mile) difference. She surmised correctly that this had to do with the 10,000 miles I was rebated when I booked the award last year.

She needed to submit this for further investigation and claimed it would take some weeks. I asked for a tracking # but she said everything was noted and I could simply reference my account #.

You will need to go line-by-line in your statement history with the AAgent. Some peoples' histories may already have disappeared (after 6 months), so you will have a tough time explaining..

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
There was no automatic correction, and I've been too lazy to call. I will try to get to it this week and will update here when I do.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:43 am

If I redeem a coach award for 37500. Would I then get 3750 miles or does it round down to 3000?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
If I redeem a coach award for 37500. Would I then get 3750 miles or does it round down to 3000?
No rounding, 10% exactly.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:27 am

Thanks! Also, do I have to wait until I physically activate the card or let's say I sign up for the card and get approved and before the card arrives make the purchase do I still get the 10%?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by duranza
Actually it doesn't work that way.. I asked. same scenario
They actually redeposit your miles so that bonus from booking has now disappeared.. so you can't count on those miles..
Hmm so would I be under the same scenario thats a bummer so lets say I have 70K miles and get a ticket and have 7K remaining from the 10%. I then later on want to upgrade that ticket that costs an additional 40K. Would I only need the 33K to do so from the original 7K bonus from the original purchase or is that "lost"?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:34 pm

Does the Admirals club pay-with-miles count as an "award" for purposes of getting 10% rebate of miles back? Has anyone used it and gotten miles credited back?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Does anyone know if this would apply to miles + copay upgrades? I assume no by the verbage but have not seen it explicitly stated...
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
Originally Posted by uscjeff
Does anyone know if this would apply to miles + copay upgrades? I assume no by the verbage but have not seen it explicitly stated...
Yes (if you haven't reached the 10 K per year rebate cap yet). You will see it as "CITI AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS" in your statement. I received mine instantly when my LAX>HKG miles + copay was processed/cleared
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by uscjeff
The answer is in the last three Q&As in the wiki above.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by frudd38
It is ALWAYS clawed back if a re-deposit happens, whether it's a cancel or change that required re-deposit (Citi think it's a cancel even on a change).

The reason you don't notice it is because it doesn't show on the mileage activity as a clawback, your balance is just short the X amount beginning next statement. (Look back if you don't believe it)

I've posted this in a separate thread and it has been confirmed by multiple AA agents as a glitch of sorts, especially if you made a change (that requires re-deposit) and if you already hit the 10% cap, you'll need an agent to return those miles manually since it will not be automatic.
Last week, I cancelled an award that I booked early last year. They clawed back the discount. I made many other award bookings later in 2016, at the time, no discount because I had hit the 10k max. Any one have this happen and did you have success getting the clawback reversed based on not getting the full 10k on last years bookings?

thanks in advance!

Last edited by beachfan; Feb 1, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
How soon after approval for the Citi AA card am I eligible for the 10% rebate? For example, if I apply now and am approved, and then make an award booking later tonight or tomorrow, will I get the rebate? Or will I need to have a card in hand, activated?
I don't see that you've ever gotten a response on this. Did you figure it out?

EDIT: Found on Barclay Aviator sight your card must be "open and active" for it to apply. So I assume active means "activated", as opposed to having made charges, a statement generated, etc...

Last edited by glocklt4; Feb 9, 2017 at 11:20 am
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Last week, I cancelled an award that I booked early last year. They clawed back the discount. I made many other award bookings later in 2016, at the time, no discount because I had hit the 10k max. Any one have this happen and did you have success getting the clawback reversed based on not getting the full 10k on last years bookings?
Did you ever get an answer, either here on FT or from AA?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:59 pm

Brand New Citi account

I applied for and was approved for a new account during my checkout process with AA. So then I used the new card (got temp acct info) to pay for the taxes and complete checkout of my mileage award redemption.

Will I get the 10% miles back even though the citi account was opened the same day as the award reservations were made?

I assume I will as the new citi account was used to purchase the tix, but I thought I would ask.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 4:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I read a few pages and I'm still somewhat confused. Suppose I have redeemed 110k worth of itineraries receiving 10K rebate in total for this year. If I cancel these flights, the rebate is gone for good? Do I get A) 110k back but no more 10k rebate for any other redemption I make or B) only 100k back and no more 10k rebate as well or....I could get to use the rebate again? (With manual intervention needed etc?)
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AA advantage
10% AA mileage rebate

There is a 10% AA mileage rebate if you have an AA card,
Recently, I booked an award flight needing 110k miles, having only 102k miles in my wife's account. I authorized a transfer of 8k miles from my account costing $115.

What I didn't know is that the 10% rebate or 10K miles posts immediately upon redemption and I only needed 100k miles (110k less 10%) making the transfer unnecessary.

Guest relations would not buy this argument and refused to reverse the transfer.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.