Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:35 am

10% rebate tied to AA or card?

I had Barclay Aviator and had already max'ed out my 10K rebate this year, then I cancelled the card.

I just got a new Citi AA now. Do I get another 10K this year now? Or is the "10K rebate per year" a limit placed on my AA account (hence I don't have another 10K even if with my new Citi AA)?

Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by milelover888
I had Barclay Aviator and had already max'ed out my 10K rebate this year, then I cancelled the card.

I just got a new Citi AA now. Do I get another 10K this year now? Or is the "10K rebate per year" a limit placed on my AA account (hence I don't have another 10K even if with my new Citi AA)?
Please read the wiki at the top of this page, which answers this & many other questions. (If you're using mobile, switch to desktop view to see the wiki.)
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Please read the wiki at the top of this page, which answers this & many other questions. (If you're using mobile, switch to desktop view to see the wiki.)
I did read it before I posted, and I don't think my question is covered. It sounds to me that the FAQ covers the scenarios when you have two cards AT THE SAME TIME (then the rebate is distributed over the two cards equally...). My question is different: I had max'ed 10K rebate, then I closed the card (so the transaction is over). I then got a fresh new card, at a later time (but still within the same year). Do I get a new 10K allowance or not? Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I currently have an award on-hold for 5 days.
If I call on January 1st to pay and confirm the award, will it count towards next year's 10%?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
I currently have an award on-hold for 5 days.
If I call on January 1st to pay and confirm the award, will it count towards next year's 10%?
Yes
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
Yes
Conversely, will paying for a held reservation tomorrow count toward the 2015 rebate? Even if it isn't "ticketed" until several days after?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by slice
Conversely, will paying for a held reservation tomorrow count toward the 2015 rebate? Even if it isn't "ticketed" until several days after?
I also want to know this.
Im about to book a 135K award but only want it if it will be good for this years 10%.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Originally Posted by kathysrewards
I also want to know this.
Im about to book a 135K award but only want it if it will be good for this years 10%.
Then better do it by the end of the day. Just remember that you can only claim the 10% (up to 10k miles) once per account - no matter how many cards you have.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Getting 20,000 miles rebate with two Barclays Aviator cards?

I was looking to book to two first class tickets to Asia for September. Both me and my wife have the Red Aviator card that gets us up to 10,000 miles back per year. For the specific dates, I get the availability for two tickets on AA.com but when I tried to book them seperately using our individual accounts, AA does not give us the option to book the second ticket. Kind of strange. So my question is: is my only option to call AA? Second, how much does it cost to book award tickets on the phone? I have Platinum status with AA.

Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Is this just a one-way? If is is a roundtrip, book the outbound for both passengers from one account, and the return from the other account.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Is this just a one-way? If is is a roundtrip, book the outbound for both passengers from one account, and the return from the other account.
Awesome, thanks! It's a roundtrip.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
You can book both one ways from the same account, just ticket the second flight from your second account. Another option is to make the round trip reservation for two people and then have AMerican split the reservation in to two pnrs. And then each ticket from the separate accounts.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by freakflyer
You can book both one ways from the same account, just ticket the second flight from your second account. Another option is to make the round trip reservation for two people and then have AMerican split the reservation in to two pnrs. And then each ticket from the separate accounts.
Thanks very much!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Question about the 10% bonus on award booking.

I have booked a business class ticket using 50k miles that I want to upgrade to F. ( 12.5k more miles)

I ended up with 5K more miles since the booking due to the 10% bonus on award flights for card holders.

Will that 5k bonus disappear when the 50k gets deposited back in order to upgrade on the same flight?

Reason I ask is that I am short some miles in order to upgrade and I need to transfer some and wanted to know exactly how many if this 5k is removed from my account.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by duranza
I have booked a business class ticket using 50k miles that I want to upgrade to F. ( 12.5k more miles)

I ended up with 5K more miles since the booking due to the 10% bonus on award flights for card holders.

Will that 5k bonus disappear when the 50k gets deposited back in order to upgrade on the same flight?

Reason I ask is that I am short some miles in order to upgrade and I need to transfer some and wanted to know exactly how many if this 5k is removed from my account.
Yes, everything will reset itself back. Also, this is not a bonus as you call it, but rather a rebate or credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.