Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:53 pm

I also just booked a JFK-AUH first class award on the A380 a couple of days out.. So one has to be patient...
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTW4
I also just booked a JFK-AUH first class award on the A380 a couple of days out.. So one has to be patient...
Congrats. Did you have to call overseas or were US-based AA agents able to book it?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Some things I've discovered in the process of trying to book an award from Europe to India/Middle East:

1) It's not enough to follow "a" published routing between the two cities. There has to be a routing for your class of service. In other words, if there's no published EY first class fare for your city pair, no amount of HUACA is going to save you from the fare breaking (and by "no amount" I mean 15+ tries at various times of day with the AA, AU and China desks).

[THE FOLLOWING IS NO LONGER VALID] 2) A good way to find out if there is a published fare if you don't have an ExpertFlyer account is to use the google flights map.

Step 1: input your chosen origin
Step 2: input any place on the planet as destination
Step 3: choose Etihad as the airline
Step 4: select one way, and remove the destination
Step 5: select your class of service, and the date you want to fly
Step 5: click on the map

Any city with an actual price will have a published fare, from the city you selected, in the class you selected, on the date you selected. [THIS BLOCK IS NO LONGER VALID]

Last edited by kalendil; Jan 1, 2016 at 6:58 pm
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kalendil
Some things I've discovered in the process of trying to book an award from Europe to India/Middle East:

1) It's not enough to follow "a" published routing between the two cities. There has to be a routing for your class of service.
Yes, that's always been the case.

2) A good way to find out if there is a published fare if you don't have an ExpertFlyer account is to use the google flights map.

Step 1: input your chosen origin
Step 2: input any place on the planet as destination
Step 3: choose Etihad as the airline
Step 4: select one way, and remove the destination
Step 5: select your class of service, and the date you want to fly
Step 5: click on the map

Any city with an actual price will have a published fare, from the city you selected, in the class you selected, on the date you selected.
What reason would you have to think that would effectively show only through fares vs. constructed fares for the given route/carrier? (not asking rhetorically-- -is- there some reason?)
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Yes, that's always been the case.
I never saw it mentioned in any wiki or posts, thought I'd save some people the frustration of mysterious fare breaks and mention it here.

What reason would you have to think that would effectively show only through fares vs. constructed fares for the given route/carrier?
All told, about 24 man-hours worth of comparing between the map and results on ExpertFlyer. I don't declare it to work perfectly on every carrier (I didn't check it for any other carriers) but I found it pretty reliable for Etihad, specifically, which is why I posted it here, specifically.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:46 pm
Suspended

All told, about 24 man-hours worth of comparing between the map and results on ExpertFlyer. I don't declare it to work perfectly on every carrier (I didn't check it for any other carriers) but I found it pretty reliable for Etihad, specifically, which is why I posted it here, specifically.
Seems awfully unlikely that that would effectively make the distinction between through-fares and constructed fares, I'd think it would in all likelihood just show a revenue ticket EY is willing to sell.

Interesting experiment in any case.

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 21, 2015 at 8:52 pm
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Congrats. Did you have to call overseas or were US-based AA agents able to book it?
JonNYC, RTW4 is on my flight so it was likely bookable via US-based agents as well (as he booked before me).
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:13 pm

Seems awfully unlikely that that would effectively make the distinction between through-fares and constructed fares, I'd think it would in all likelihood just show a revenue ticket EY is willing to sell.

Interesting experiment in any case.
I do not know. It might not make that distinction. However, so far, I've not found a case where a city with a price was not an allowed through fare.

You've got the set of city pairs with through fares, and the set of cities with prices on the map. If the sets just so happen, by some quirk in google's code, to be the same, even if only for now, it's something people can use to help narrow the field of legal routes. Otherwise, questions like "what are all the published routes in India/Middle East from x city in Europe in F" are horrifyingly time intensive to answer.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, EY Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by frisbfreek
Are people still finding that the US AA desk is not seeing certain EY inventory? Another data point: I just booked 2 F seats JFK-AUH (A380) for 3 days out through the US desk. No problems, no long distance charges. I also had no problems when I switched flights (J seats) a week ago.
U.S. AA had no issues in booking my 3 biz class award tickets ORD-AUH for this weekend...booked it last week. My original booking was made via AA Australia and the agent was able to change my outbound but keep my same return.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chgo2AD
U.S. AA had no issues in booking my 3 biz class award tickets ORD-AUH for this weekend...booked it last week. My original booking was made via AA Australia and the agent was able to change my outbound but keep my same return.
Have you flown EY J before? I was considering it but a few folks have told me not so great things.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Have you flown EY J before? I was considering it but a few folks have told me not so great things.
More times that I can count We have always had a good experience with Etihad in J and F. We've had exceptional flights and then some that have been so so but as a whole we are happy with them and haven't had any issues come up that would steer us to another carrier.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:34 am

Yes.. Booked through US based AA agent. Very simple actually...
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:25 am
Suspended

More times that I can count We have always had a good experience with Etihad in J and F. We've had exceptional flights and then some that have been so so but as a whole we are happy with them and haven't had any issues come up that would steer us to another carrier.
You like the hard product?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
You like the hard product?
I do. Obviously you'll have a better experience on the 787 or the new A380 fleet but the 777 that we usually take from ORD-AUH-ORD has always suited us just fine.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:56 am
Suspended

I do. Obviously you'll have a better experience on the 787 or the new A380 fleet but the 777 that we usually take from ORD-AUH-ORD has always suited us just fine.
Thanks I hope I can find a J ORD-AUH but not overly optimistic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.