Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Steven6702
Thanks for that insight Dave! I have a question about this that may impact the booking I was planning to confirm this afternoon. Based on your post above, is DFW the only permitted routing for .
It isn't the only permitted routing ; I just posted that one since it was the one that showed that AUH-DFW-AUS is valid on EY/AA

AUH-CHI/NYC-AA/B6/EY-AUS

is also a valid routing, so no problem connecting in JFK if preferref. I would have thought that DFW would be the nicer connection to minimise the time on a AA flight
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It isn't the only permitted routing ; I just posted that one since it was the one that showed that AUH-DFW-AUS is valid on EY/AA

AUH-CHI/NYC-AA/B6/EY-AUS

is also a valid routing, so no problem connecting in JFK if preferref. I would have thought that DFW would be the nicer connection to minimise the time on a AA flight
Yep, that would be preferable from the standpoint of minimizing AA time. However, if I can switch from the AUH-DFW First on 77L to the AUH-DFW Apartment on A380, I'm going to take that in a heartbeat and would be happy for the price of that to be an extra couple hours on AA domestic First
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by JDiver
Y. AA never includes a hotel stay for award or paid flights outside of Off-Schedule Operations.
Actually I believe AA does for fully F and J paid tickets. FULL. As in WPT (who pays that?)

Rule 35 in there international tariff:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.html

AA WILL BEAR LAYOVER EXPENSES WHEN ITS SERVICES ARE USED FOR INTERCONTINENTAL TRANSPORTATION, WHEN THE PASSENGER IS CONNECTING TO/FROM OTHER INTERNATIONAL SERVICES AND SAME-DAY CONNECTING SERVICES INVOLVING AA ARE NOT SCHEDULED OR AVAILABLE. AA WILL ONLY PARTICIPATE IN PRORATION OF EXPENSES WHEN SERVICES ARE PROVIDED AT AIRPORTS DESIGNATED BY AA AND AT SPECIFICALLY DESIGNATED HOTELS (INCLUDING WHEN AA IS THE RECEIVING CARRIER). HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS WILL ONLY BE PROVIDED WHEN CONNECTING TIME EXCEEDS SIX HOURS AND WHEN ARRANGED IN ADVANCE OF ARRIVAL AT THE TRANSFER POINT.
virtually all J and F fares have a line that says 'rule 35 doesnt apply'..until you get up to the full fare tickets.

I dont recall ever seeing a post from anyone that did get them to honor this rule....
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
My JFK-AUH flights in J on the A380 are coming up. In the case that I can't find F space on the A380 (EY seems to only release space on certain flights), is it worth the AA miles changing flights from A380 J to Jetihad F? I believe it's 22.5k per person. My thought is no, particularly since my wife isn't that big of a fan of Indian food and neither one of us has flown on an A380 before, but would love to hear your opinions.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
For what it's worth, I just booked a flight from AUH-MEL in June and actually found a lot of availability on both AUH-MEL and MEL-AUH on the A380 in First. The space is scattered about from June-November.

Here’s the Etihad A380 First Apartment award space that is available for at least two passengers between June and November 2016. FYI, I ran the search around 10 pm EST 12/12 so the space has probably changed a bit since then. Here's a calendar of available dates on the AUH-MEL route:

Again, the award space that is available for at least 2 passengers from Melbourne-MEL to Abu Dhabi-AUH:

Hopefully some will find the info useful!
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Trying to figure out if my routing is valid for one award. I have expertflyer, and I know how to look for published fares, but how do I check if the specific routing is allowed?

Routing is TXL-LHR-AUH-BOM, with TXL-LHR in J and the rest in F. I already had TXL-LHR-AUH booked, but AA wants 25000 more to add AUH-BOM. There's a published fare for TXL-BOM, so I'm wondering about the routing, as many posts above indicate each fare has an allowed route.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by frisbfreek
My JFK-AUH flights in J on the A380 are coming up. In the case that I can't find F space on the A380 (EY seems to only release space on certain flights), is it worth the AA miles changing flights from A380 J to Jetihad F? I believe it's 22.5k per person. My thought is no, particularly since my wife isn't that big of a fan of Indian food and neither one of us has flown on an A380 before, but would love to hear your opinions.
According to a TR I read on TPG, even though the plane and interior branding are all Jet Airways, the crew and food are provided by Etihad and should still deliver the traditional Etihad experience in that regard.

Hope you enjoy! Sorry to hear the A380 F doesn't seem to be opening up. I hope something works out at the last minute!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by Steven6702
According to a TR I read on TPG, even though the plane and interior branding are all Jet Airways, the crew and food are provided by Etihad and should still deliver the traditional Etihad experience in that regard.
Not according to what I read here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...u-bkk-kul.html
A recent quote from there:
Jetihad flights are Jet airways aircrafts with Jet cabin crew onboard but they werar Jet and Etihad badges. The cushions and blankets have Etihad written on them but the food is the absolutely crap Jet food. Pop into AUH MacD's and buy a meal before you boar the Jetihad flight
Enough said

Last edited by Paulchili; Dec 16, 2015 at 11:12 am
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:39 pm

Hmm, the TPG TR was only a few months difference from that, so not sure which to go with.

I flew on one of Etihad’s two daily 777s flying between Abu Dhabi and New York-JFK. One of these flights is operated by Etihad’s own plane, while the second (and the one I flew) is wet-leased, meaning that Etihad leases the plane from Indian carrier Jet Airways and nearly everything on the plane is Jet-branded. Nonetheless, the food and crew are still provided by Etihad, so you can expect the traditional Etihad experience you paid for, regardless of the aircraft you happen to be flying.
I don't speak from personal experience, but it sounds like it perhaps varies by day or by flight?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, EY Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Just a heads up...I just noticed 3 J seats popped up for ORD-AUH next week (12/26) and when I called AA here in the states they could also see the availability and was able to book me. In doing so, I've actually cancelled my 2 booked F tickets on the A380 going JFK-AUH on 12/26 so if anyone is looking for tickets they might be there!!!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by Chgo2AD
Just a heads up...I just noticed 3 J seats popped up for ORD-AUH next week (12/26) and when I called AA here in the states they could also see the availability and was able to book me. In doing so, I've actually cancelled my 2 booked F tickets on the A380 going JFK-AUH on 12/26 so if anyone is looking for tickets they might be there!!!
Nope, those 2 F seats went into the void
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, EY Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by frisbfreek
Nope, those 2 F seats went into the void
Bummer! Hopefully they will release them as there are now 5 first seats available. Keep an eye out on them!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chgo2AD
Bummer! Hopefully they will release them as there are now 5 first seats available. Keep an eye out on them!
I'm looking right in/around that date as well, so glad you mentioned it, last I had looked, unsurprisingly, it was more like F3, so, I think it's a safe bet some award F will reopen on that flight at some point, hoping to grab one!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Just a data point: There were 3 F seats on the A380 JFK-AUH for tomorrow 12/17 when I checked at 5am EST this morning. By 11am EST, there was 1 left, and by 3pm EST they were all gone.

I would have booked one, but connecting flights had 0 availability to anywhere I wanted to go.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:23 pm

With the current transfer bonus to EY Guest which allows more flexibility and better value especially for short-midhaul redemptions, it's hard for me to see the value for using AAdvantage except for F/J long hauls on AU sectors which is going down the drain in few months any way and provided that one had acquired the miles through sign up bonuses.

Last edited by edy4eva; Dec 16, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.