Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Also, a question!

I'm trying to decide how to return to the USA and debating between a 77W from AUH-DFW that I can confirm in First or an A380 on AUH-JFK that I can confirm in Business. I really want to take advantage of last-minute space to upgrade AUH-JFK to Apartment but I don't know if I can count on that happening.

If I book a 77W in Business to JFK and then space on an A380 opens up in Apartment, will they let me change flights/planes to accommodate the upgrade as long as the origin/destination are the same? If there is also First availability on that 77W, will they require me to take that as opposed to letting me switch to the A380?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by amit1978
The flight times are very similar with around a 2 hr connection. I've only ever had a layover in DXB with Emirates and the lounge was absolutely heaving on both occasions
Was this in Concourse A, B or C?

Concourse A (where the QF flights park) J lounge is massive and don't think it ever gets to a crowded point, as opposed to B's.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Steven6702
Also, a question!

I'm trying to decide how to return to the USA and debating between a 77W from AUH-DFW that I can confirm in First or an A380 on AUH-JFK that I can confirm in Business. I really want to take advantage of last-minute space to upgrade AUH-JFK to Apartment but I don't know if I can count on that happening.

If I book a 77W in Business to JFK and then space on an A380 opens up in Apartment, will they let me change flights/planes to accommodate the upgrade as long as the origin/destination are the same? If there is also First availability on that 77W, will they require me to take that as opposed to letting me switch to the A380?
You asked two questions. Answers are yes, and no, respectively, with a catch. If you make the change from J to F after the March devaluation, you'll be required to pay the new, higher F rate.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I currently have a LHR-AUH award booked in F. I'm wondering if I found a way to do CDG-LHR-AUH if I could avoid the APD out of LHR. Seems to be about $400/person in taxes and fees for my 2 awards LHR-AUH and AUH-MEL. Wondering if there are any ways to reduce that without too much extra travel/effort.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
You asked two questions. Answers are yes, and no, respectively, with a catch. If you make the change from J to F after the March devaluation, you'll be required to pay the new, higher F rate.
Thank you! Luckily I'm traveling in mid-March.

One more question if you don't mind... I may be pushing my luck here, but if I book Business on the 77W to DFW and then First on the A380 opens up to JFK, would they allow me to upgrade and route AUH-JFK-DFW via A380 and then connect to DFW?

Okay fine, two questions... What do you think I should do? Top priority is to secure Apartment space in the A380, second priority is to get back to DFW as expediently as possible.

Really appreciate the guidance!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Steven6702
Also, a question!

If you switch from an all-EY routing to an EY+AA routing (or vice versa), you will be subject to the $150 change fee.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by mikelat
I currently have a LHR-AUH award booked in F. I'm wondering if I found a way to do CDG-LHR-AUH if I could avoid the APD out of LHR. Seems to be about $400/person in taxes and fees for my 2 awards LHR-AUH and AUH-MEL. Wondering if there are any ways to reduce that without too much extra travel/effort.
Since you're already booked there's nothing you could do as you will be up for the $150 redeposit fee.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just for kicks, I called up the EXP desk to see if they could find space on AUH-LAX (showing at least 2 in guest business) for next April. The agent said she could only find Y, so I thanked her and hung up.

Called AA Australia via Skype and was able to find and ticket the flight I wanted, in J, in under five minutes. Thanks to everybody for sharing their recent experiences with booking EY premium space. ^
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
Since you're EXP - the $150 change fee doesn't apply.

Calling to change by adding CDG-LHR might reduce your taxes, but France also has a high "solidarity" tax for premium passengers.

If you leave from say BRU, AMS and almost any other European port, that will completely drop the APD for you (but add that airport's departure tax.)
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you switch from an all-EY routing to an EY+AA routing (or vice versa), you will be subject to the $150 change fee.
Isn't both awards are Partner awards?

Or because EY is not a oneworld member, so the routing change is what costs that, not the award type?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Happy
Isn't both awards are Partner awards?

Or because EY is not a oneworld member, so the routing change is what costs that, not the award type?
Even if no new award is needed, there is a change fee applicable ( as per the fees list ) - for an EP member using miles from own account, the fee would be waived
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:25 pm

Or because EY is not a oneworld member
Yes
so the routing change is what costs that, not the award type?
The award code (things we don't generally see, something like UD22X5D) is actually different for OW and non-OW even if the start/end regions are the same and the mileage required is the same. So it's a change of award type.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Upgrades on Eithad using AA miles?

Is it possible to upgrade on Eithad flights using AA miles? If it is, is there a chart which explains how many miles needed.
Thanks
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by klakhav
Is it possible to upgrade on Eithad flights using AA miles? If it is, is there a chart which explains how many miles needed.
Thanks
No
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:24 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Has anyone had success putting together an itinerary with an EY flight and another airline's? I'm trying to find AKL-BNE-AUH with AKL-BNE on QF J and BNE-AUH on EY F but the price is appearing as two separate awards (17,500 and 60,000) rather than one for the region. Is this something to do with EY bookings/different classes or should someone be able to price up the 60,000 it theoretically should be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.