Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by edy4eva
That's not true.
A single award will always price that way. You've posted about the FT theory that EY and AA routing rules are incompatible elsewhere.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
A single award will always price that way. You've posted about the FT theory that EY and AA routing rules are incompatible elsewhere.
AA only allows a single award where the connection in the 3rd region is one of the specific exceptions - otherwise , as in the case of EY travel, 2 awards are needed
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
If they'd booked it as a single F award with a voluntarily downgraded J leg it would only be 80k. But that only works if your stay in AUH is short enough to be a connection instead of a stopover.
As pointed out by others, this is incorrect.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:08 am

Sorry if this was asked before, but does anyone know how much would be taxes in C on LHR - MLE RT?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by spsDC
I just wanted to add to the thank yous on this thread and share my experience with the Australian AA line

I spent an hour with a regular AA agent on the USA EXP line who found nothing for all of late August/early Sept between Australia-AUH and AUH-London on Etihad

I called the Australia number, had to hold for 10 minutes and then within about 6 minutes had MEL-AUH in F on the 380 and AUH-LHR in J on the exact flights I'd found on the Etihad site. And only $78 AUD in taxes

Very easy and agent was extremely quick and helpful
I had some success with calling the UK office, managed to get BNE-LHR in J, they also offered MEL-LHR in J on QF which only requires 60k miles so not sure which one to go for. Do either offer chauffeur drive?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by amit1978
I had some success with calling the UK office, managed to get BNE-LHR in J, they also offered MEL-LHR in J on QF which only requires 60k miles so not sure which one to go for. Do either offer chauffeur drive?
Depends on the routing?
If both ends of flights are EY then yes. If there's a domestic connection then no.

As for QF, their rule is must be 081 stock but most have had success booking chauffeur drive on 001 tickets despite being implicitly excluded.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by PaulJohnson
Sorry if this was asked before, but does anyone know how much would be taxes in C on LHR - MLE RT?
Search on Etihad redemptions for the taxes/fees on open business seats and you shall have your answer.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:02 am

Depends on the routing?
If both ends of flights are EY then yes. If there's a domestic connection then no.

As for QF, their rule is must be 081 stock but most have had success booking chauffeur drive on 001 tickets despite being implicitly excluded.
Is it worth burning the extra miles to fly EY?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
One word = Yes.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...s-lhr-auh.html

Not my trip report but pictures of the F seat on the A380.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Book EY with AA miles. Schedule changed moved me from desired flight to earlier one for some reason. I presume I call EY and not AA correct? Funny enough this is the first time I've ever had a flight change on a partner award reservation.
If it's before the day of travel call AA, EY won't touch the ticket before then.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by ChurchofTee
One word = Yes.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...s-lhr-auh.html

Not my trip report but pictures of the F seat on the A380.
The OP was comparing EY J to QF J.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:10 am

Depends on how you value your miles. Just pick whatever suits you. For me the most direct and least cumbersome itinerary wins.

EY J > QF J. (if this was EK vs QF, it would be QF).

But then QF has proper J lounge in MEL whereas EY in BNE it's NZ which is so outdated (will be renewed next year).

Transit and security in AUH can be chaotic. Whereas in DXB there's far more order and space and capacity.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:21 pm

Depends on how you value your miles. Just pick whatever suits you. For me the most direct and least cumbersome itinerary wins.

EY J > QF J. (if this was EK vs QF, it would be QF).

But then QF has proper J lounge in MEL whereas EY in BNE it's NZ which is so outdated (will be renewed next year).

Transit and security in AUH can be chaotic. Whereas in DXB there's far more order and space and capacity.
The flight times are very similar with around a 2 hr connection. I've only ever had a layover in DXB with Emirates and the lounge was absolutely heaving on both occasions
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
While there has been some success in the past, more recently I have come across reports the option is no longer showing on Qantas.com/yourbooking for AAdvantage reward bookings.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
One more data point... AA Australia just put on hold two Apartment seats for me on LHR-AUH that AA USA told me were unavailable, though part of me feels like I'm setting myself up for sadness by getting so little time on there.

Alas, I don't see any JFK-AUH or vice versa anytime through EOY, so I guess I'll have to take what I can get!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.