Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC, Amex, SPG Gold, VA Red, HHonours Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
You would have to pay for F all the way through and specifically ask for a "voluntary downgrade". The mixed-class routing will not come up automatically and the agent will have to put it together manually.
Many thanks will make the call tonight
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
As a datapoint, I was attempting to book BOM-AUH-JFK-YVR on EY-EY-CX in F and the American AA rep could not see a single leg, including the CX piece and was adamant there was no space. Australia made the reservation no problem and put it on hold as they said it needed to be manually approved and to call back in 24 hours to ticket and pay which I have not yet done.

Mark
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:00 am

Trying to book CDG-AUH-MLE and see 2 GuestSeat Business available on Ethiad's site. When calling the agents can only see 1 available?

Any ideas/tips to help me make them see the 2?

The agents say that they cannot see any I availability (which matches to expertflyer as well) but it's strange that Ethiad is showing guest seats with miles then?

Last edited by econoar; Dec 30, 2015 at 10:15 am
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC, Amex, SPG Gold, VA Red, HHonours Gold
Originally Posted by econoar
Trying to book CDG-AUH-MLE and see 2 GuestSeat Business available on Ethiad's site. When calling the agents can only see 1 available?

The agents say that they cannot see any I availability (which matches to expertflyer as well) but it's strange that Ethiad is showing guest seats with miles then?
I have just put my reservation on hold LHR-AUH-MLE, at first agent said i could only have economy from AUH to MLE, but I asked her to look again and reconfirmed with her the flight numbers i saw availability for and she then found business
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by econoar

Data point, called Australian line and they instantly got it!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Yesterday most days in September had GuestFirst availability on the A380 AUH-JFK. Today it's almost all gone. Still seeing a few seats here and there so I suspect those seats were snatched up rather than removed from inventory by EY.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
I posted on the success thread about my booking, but wanted to mention here that when I called the NZ desk to reserve (I couldn't get through to the Australia desk), I had an agent tell me that she couldn't see any availability for my flights, even the OW flights that I KNEW had availability. A case where HUACA solved the problem. So beware that even some Australian and New Zealand agents can be clueless. (Every other agent I spoke to on the NZ desk was amazing)
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:15 pm

I see guest availability on my dates (2 seats) and both US agents and Aussie agents are telling me they see nothing. Any suggestions ?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Trying to book MLE-AUH-MUC in C but the agent is claiming they need to book under some other booking code to release the space from Etihad, and then it will cost 47,500 miles instead of 30,000 miles.

Anyone else run into this? Sounds bizarre.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by patrickf3
I see guest availability on my dates (2 seats) and both US agents and Aussie agents are telling me they see nothing. Any suggestions ?
In the wiki at the top of the page,, it states "You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as 'GuestSeats'."

Are you doing that?

In the meantime, I'll delete your other post; we don't allow cross posting. (You can always ask a moderator to move a post, etc. clicking on the little widget under your name that resembles a red-edged white triangle with an exclamation point.)

/Moderator
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
SIN-AUH-USA one award or two

I had thought it was one award, but the agent is saying I need two separate awards?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
I had thought it was one award, but the agent is saying I need two separate awards?
Definitely two awards. Asia 2 - USA is only allowed as one award when flying over the Pacific. Your routing will price out as Asia 2 to ME + ME to USA. (Although priced as two awards, you can however get it all on one ticket)
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Definitely two awards. Asia 2 - USA is only allowed as one award when flying over the Pacific. Your routing will price out as Asia 2 to ME + ME to USA. (Although priced as two awards, you can however get it all on one ticket)
OK thanks. I was reading somewhere that there was an exception on routes which are a valid routing for the operating carriers. (Many carriers sell tickets from SIN to the East Coast that go over Europe).
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
OK thanks. I was reading somewhere that there was an exception on routes which are a valid routing for the operating carriers. (Many carriers sell tickets from SIN to the East Coast that go over Europe).
Being a valid routing is simply a prerequisite for being able to book the award, but not an exception to the routing rules. I generally refer to this table to see what the various exceptions are.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by nirobert
Trying to book MLE-AUH-MUC in C but the agent is claiming they need to book under some other booking code to release the space from Etihad, and then it will cost 47,500 miles instead of 30,000 miles.

Anyone else run into this? Sounds bizarre.
Might be that a thorough availability MLE-AUH-MUC is not possible whereas if looked individually MLE-AUH//AUH-MUC there is, hence being quoted 17.5k+30k. In this case, ask the agent to get through with the support desk to verify the quoted charge.

Or you're laying over 24 hours in AUH?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.