Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by edy4eva
AA charges 80k miles pp that typically cost ~1.8k GBP. A paid J fare can be had for that much, a F fare is 3.2k (both through a TA). Now sure 1.4k GBP is a substantial saving, but this saving shrinks in proportion with the time spent/wasted (whichever way one looks at it).
Typicall I only buy AA miles when there is a sale. Based on the current best value, it is about 1.2p per 1000 miles , so 80k is approximately GBP969 if bought at the lowest cost per mile
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
And there are those that shrug when flights get cancelled, those that shrug when their seats are given away, those that shrug when upgrades aren't processed correctly, those that are content standing in long lines hoping the airlines take care of them. I'm not saying you're one of those people. Just that I'm not. Schedule, price and convenience? How about equipment types, tracking tail numbers, and ensuring contingency plans are in place? And an award booking IS more exciting, given the near certain knowledge somebody else is trying to get the same award.

I respect the blissful tranquility of the non-warriors. But I particularly respect the sleep-deprived warrior that's going to get his F upgrade for his honeymoon.

Jamie
Equipment types and tail numbers are as uninteresting as train spotting

using miles for an award can be great value and do so when it is available to book

If flight from A-B gets cancelled , I know that on routes I travel I will be on the one before or the one after with no issue

I don't worry about upgrades given that I book the class I wish to travel in

not many people who travel frequently ( road warrior is such a awful term ) obsess about the travel but just book the most appropriate flights
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:37 pm

If the OP can get the upgrade, then great. All I'm saying is, you'll be going on a honeymoon to the Maldives. Chances are spending several thousands GBP on this outing in accommodation/food/activities. The AA redemption on EY (whethr J or F) for this route is exceptional value IF it can be had without the extra hassle of chasing availability.

Otherwise the only strong memory will be of the countless hours checking availability (and perhaps re ticketing which up to now is not explicit that AA will apply the current award level on upgrades post March).

Rather than worry about any of that, one could easily get a confirmed F reservation with EY/QR (or even EK) with a stopover at one of the hubs (something that requires 17.5k AA miles extra pp). Or stick to J and occasionally check for F.

All the best.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:59 pm

If the OP can get the upgrade, then great. All I'm saying is, you'll be going on a honeymoon to the Maldives. Chances are spending several thousands GBP on this outing in accommodation/food/activities. The AA redemption on EY (whethr J or F) for this route is exceptional value IF it can be had without the extra hassle of chasing availability.

Otherwise the only strong memory will be of the countless hours checking availability (and perhaps re ticketing which up to now is not explicit that AA will apply the current award level on upgrades post March).

Rather than worry about any of that, one could easily get a confirmed F reservation with EY/QR (or even EK) with a stopover at one of the hubs (something that requires 17.5k AA miles extra pp). Or stick to J and occasionally check for F.

All the best.
If it matters I am flying QR JFK-DOH-MLE in J staying Conrad Maldives Retreat Water Villa then EY MLE-AUH-LHR-(BA) NCE in J - at Hyatt Cannes and still trying to plan my trip back to the states (MIA). Most likely TK NCE-IST-MIA in J.

I've spent countless hours planning this trip as it is a passion of mine, and likely yours too. There is no doubt I will not forget how I intricately planned this trip without taking a second mortgage, however the memories created will last a lifetime.

And yes, I planned my Honeymoon around award availability.

I'll update you tomorrow if the seats open up.

Last edited by patrickf3; Dec 30, 2015 at 9:06 pm
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:12 pm

Are you sure you can book MLE-NCE on EY/BA in F/J on a single award? EY don't publish a F fare that permits such routing.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:17 pm

Are you sure you can book MLE-NCE on EY/BA in F/J on a single award? EY don't publish a F fare that permits such routing.
Correct. I have booked the LHR-NCE flight separately with Avios.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: AA Plat
Just called US CS still couldn't see the F/J award space, then phoned up AUS number without any problems.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
And what if after 2000 minutes spent checking, you do not find anything?
It's beyond my own capabilities, but surely someone here should be able to write code that automates (or partially automates) repeatedly checking for award tickets and available seats on EY's web site.

Various subscription sites already get data from QF and BA web pages, it's just that EY is not in an alliance and so no commercial site has bothered to do it AFAIK.

The only thing I have tried to use is Lazarus (form filling addon for Firefox) but it messes up the EY page.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:55 am

QR / EY Africa - Australia

I've successfully booked LOS-DOH-MEL on a single ticket for 50K J (QR), meaning that the "Doha" 3rd Region exception rule applies (Africa - South Pacific.)

However I have not been able to book LOS-AUH-MEL on EY, in a single ticket, (there is availability but they want to charge 2 tickets LOS-AUH/AUH-MEL).

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Bibbydome
I've successfully booked LOS-DOH-MEL on a single ticket for 50K J (QR), meaning that the "Doha" 3rd Region exception rule applies (Africa - South Pacific.)

However I have not been able to book LOS-AUH-MEL on EY, in a single ticket, (there is availability but they want to charge 2 tickets LOS-AUH/AUH-MEL).

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thoughts and suggestions about what exactly?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:06 am

Thoughts and suggestions about what exactly?
Can the EY booking be ticked in one single ticket?
Should I HUACA?
Any successful bookings with EY passing through a 3th region?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:14 am

Should I HUACA?
Not a chance. This isn't US. Yes it was once possible to book BNE-SIN-AUH (as a single flight though and some agents pulled up the no 3rd region rule occasionally) but those days are long gone since EY made the flight non stop.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Should I HUACA?
I don't believe any of he rule exceptions apply to EY awards.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:45 am

Should I HUACA?
There are no exemptions with EY through the Middle East

If you want to travel LOS-DOH-MEL , you need 2 awards - no point in just wasting agents time calling back

The only Middle East exceptions are purely for QR-QR travel
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
This thread is being archived and supplanted with the following:

Booking AAdvantage Award travel on Etihad / EY - 2016 (Consolidated)

~Moderator

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 14, 2016 at 5:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.