Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:43 pm
Suspended

PHX-based RES agent Dayna Z. finally got it worked out by calling EY. If you get the message on EY.com "cancelled or already flown" you -must- have AA call EY to work it out, this was no "false negative" or whatever. Now all shows and all ready to go, glad I went -against- my instinct (to assume it was just a glitch/bad display, etc) and insisted.

Pressed the very helpful agent on the exact steps she took, but she genuinely was a little surprised herself it worked out after she saw I had no flights on EY's system despite AA's system saying "all good!"

Best I can tell is she went to book the JFK-AUH award seat again, even though there is no award inventory left, and somehow "your seat was just kind of there"-- she was meticulously trying -not- to cancel out what was left of my original booking so that I'd have a paper-trail, as it were for me to have some kind of theoretical recourse but then, all of a sudden, instead of seeing 4 segments (as she expected) she only saw 2. Didn't know for sure it worked until we checked on EY.com.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:05 pm

Glad it was all sorted out! ^ Good thing you caught it in time and remained persistent until it got fixed.

Enjoy.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:14 pm

in the event that you showed up to the airport without having checked with EY and just thinking it was all good since you had confirmations from AA, what would have happened? AA would have to get you there and pay out denied boarding or they would just bounce blame around?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mike84k
in the event that you showed up to the airport without having checked with EY and just thinking it was all good since you had confirmations from AA, what would have happened? AA would have to get you there and pay out denied boarding or they would just bounce blame around?
I think the phone-call barrage would have started and it would have gotten sorted on the spot in all likelihood. BUT, if one arrived as I generally do (and many others here I'm sure)-- like 1.5 hours before flight (no checked bags, in first,) as opposed to the "proper" amount of time before the flight, I'd say 70/30 that it would get worked out in time to make the flight.

And, of course reaccomodation for my idiotic JFK-AUH-MUC (transit only in AUH, and, yes, of course, 2 awards,) journey would pretty obviously -not- be via AUH!

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 24, 2015 at 9:30 pm
Old Dec 25, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
This sounds very stressful. Glad it worked out OK. Last week I took the EY F Apartment AUH-SYD, and I can conform that it's worth all the stress AA are causing to book it (and keep it!).

Do you use the MyFlights app? Wondering if this would have caught this segment deletion, since it draws EY info from Sabre.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 7:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OneWorldSapphire
This sounds very stressful. Glad it worked out OK. Last week I took the EY F Apartment AUH-SYD, and I can conform that it's worth all the stress AA are causing to book it (and keep it!).

Do you use the MyFlights app? Wondering if this would have caught this segment deletion, since it draws EY info from Sabre.
Only thing that happened outside of normal order was; held JFK-AUH, then, next day called to add AUH-MUC as a separate award under the same PNR, pre-ticketing, needless to say. And that 'aint really unusual, obviously, but *might* have been part of the problem. I have someone that's taken an interest in examining the full history on both sides and has offered to try and figure out what caused the problem (which, if I'm not mistaken, I've not seen reported in either of the EY threads) and, when he does, I'll happily report back here on what, if anything, needs to be avoided or watched-out-for or if mine was truly just a completely random one-off.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
No problems with me too. Two bookings for next year are fine. Cant select seats on AUH-LHR A380 because of a two week long 'equipment change' but thats a different matter!
I did post this in the EY forum too, but highly curious. I have EY11 in early Jan, for which I can no longer choose seats either. It has been equipment change on the A380 for a while. Any insight? EY said on the phone 'check back on the 27th, after the Christmas period', but they couldn't really explain it. Very frustrating!
Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by lewis_saint
I did post this in the EY forum too, but highly curious. I have EY11 in early Jan, for which I can no longer choose seats either. It has been equipment change on the A380 for a while. Any insight? EY said on the phone 'check back on the 27th, after the Christmas period', but they couldn't really explain it. Very frustrating!
Any luck after the 27th?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Only thing that happened outside of normal order was; held JFK-AUH, then, next day called to add AUH-MUC as a separate award under the same PNR, pre-ticketing, needless to say. And that 'aint really unusual, obviously, but *might* have been part of the problem. I have someone that's taken an interest in examining the full history on both sides and has offered to try and figure out what caused the problem (which, if I'm not mistaken, I've not seen reported in either of the EY threads) and, when he does, I'll happily report back here on what, if anything, needs to be avoided or watched-out-for or if mine was truly just a completely random one-off.
Definitely report back..have a trip booked and ticketed for later this year, and want to be as proactive as possible, if necessary, and would not want to deal with at the airport..
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Definitely report back..have a trip booked and ticketed for later this year, and want to be as proactive as possible, if necessary, and would not want to deal with at the airport..
Definitely will stay on top of it, hopefully when I get back I can call the guy. I'd really like to understand what happened and why and be able to explain it. As of now, no one I've spoken to thus far can make -any- sense of it.

In the mean time, for sure, if you use your AA-supplied EY-locator on EY.com and the itin comes up as "past flown or cancelled"-- it needs immediate attention. But as pointed out, mine -never- shows up there (vs if it had then disappeared) so, probably not -too- much to worry about.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As long as it is ticketed and EY can see the booking is ok, why worry too much over seat selection
Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
Any luck after the 27th?
After checking twice daily, it finally sorted itself out yesterday on the 28th. I was able to select my seat on an A380.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by lewis_saint
After checking twice daily, it finally sorted itself out yesterday on the 28th. I was able to select my seat on an A380.
Congrats! Glad to hear it worked out.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC, Amex, SPG Gold, VA Red, HHonours Gold
I am looking to book LHR-AUH-MLE in F for next sept. There is no availability on etihad guest for this whole routing but there is availbility LHR-AUH in F and then AUH-MLE in J.
Can I book this under the one booking for 40k miles per person or would I have to do two seperate bookings?

We want to do a stopover coming back - in Dubai - can anyone advise on best routing - I have avios so perhaps MLE-DOH-AUH?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by vanilla8
I am looking to book LHR-AUH-MLE in F for next sept. There is no availability on etihad guest for this whole routing but there is availbility LHR-AUH in F and then AUH-MLE in J.
Can I book this under the one booking for 40k miles per person or would I have to do two seperate bookings?
You would have to pay for F all the way through and specifically ask for a "voluntary downgrade". The mixed-class routing will not come up automatically and the agent will have to put it together manually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.