Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I'm looking at an EY booking FCO-AUH-PER in J which will be 75k. There will be a two day stop in AUH but it will all be on one ticket.

Now, if I was to change this post-22 March for another routing FCO-X-PER perhaps with CX or CX and AY, I'm wondering if I would be subject to the old (as they are now) prices. The origin and destination are unchanged so on that basis it should be fine but does AA view this booking as actually two reservations, FCO-AUH and AUH-PER by way of the fact there is a stopover, even though they are on the one ticket?

(In fact, if I was to go with a oneworld option and didn't have a stopover I should in theory get 15k back (75k for EY; 60k for oneworld via Asia 2 or Middle East).)

How does this sound? Is my thinking correct that it is one award and therefore changing carriers only (eg. FCO-xHKG-PER) would see me charged at the current rate of 60k?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you make a change to the dates of the EY booking, it should have no need to deposit miles and reissue . There are 2 awards issued and will be valid with the awards

If you choose to switch to a Europe-AU award, that will need a mileage redeposit of the existing award and then issuance of a new award at the new price
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:51 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you make a change to the dates of the EY booking, it should have no need to deposit miles and reissue . There are 2 awards issued and will be valid with the awards

If you choose to switch to a Europe-AU award, that will need a mileage redeposit of the existing award and then issuance of a new award at the new price
Ahhh, yes. I was forgetting that even though the origin and destination remain the same I'd be changing to a different award zone. That makes sense I guess.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by frisbfreek
They do release C space 30 days out, in both directions. The statement above is accurate for F space--I see 0 F space in advance, with seats released day before for JFK-AUH but not for AUH-JFK. Anybody know why AUH-JFK isn't released?
Hmm, so not totally accurate. Today's JFK-AUH flight still has 2 F left and available, while tomorrow's JFK-AUH has 1 F left and 0 available. And they seem to hold back 3 F seats on Jetihad as well. I'm wondering if they only release seats on specific days of the week, or only if some other criteria are also met?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:14 am

They do release C space 30 days out, in both directions. The statement above is accurate for F space--I see 0 F space in advance, with seats released day before for JFK-AUH but not for AUH-JFK. Anybody know why AUH-JFK isn't released?
AUHJFK consistently available close-in on the A380. Looking at 6(!) on Thursday's EY103. Above statement is misleading, if you'd like to edit I can delete this post, or we can just keep mine. Doesn't make a difference, I suppose.

Jamie
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
AUHJFK consistently available close-in on the A380. Looking at 6(!) on Thursday's EY103. Above statement is misleading, if you'd like to edit I can delete this post, or we can just keep mine. Doesn't make a difference, I suppose.

Jamie
Great find Jamie, I didn't bother looking 3 days out but there is definitely bookable space on Thursday. As of now that's the only space released to GuestSeat in both directions over the next 3 days though, despite having at least 1 seat not booked every day (and even when Thursday JFK-AUH has 6 seats left). So releases are really intermittent and unpredictable then? Or at least I can't seem to figure out a pattern.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:50 am

Great find Jamie, I didn't bother looking 3 days out but there is definitely bookable space on Thursday. As of now that's the only space released to GuestSeat in both directions over the next 3 days though, despite having at least 1 seat not booked every day (and even when Thursday JFK-AUH has 6 seats left). So releases are really intermittent and unpredictable then? Or at least I can't seem to figure out a pattern.
Yeah, I haven't figured out a pattern myself. I'll step up the effort during the summer as that's when I fly.

My problem is I'm flying DARDXB/DXBJFK on EK with a 3-day stop in DXB. This is a problem, as I won't want to start my journey on EK if I think EY is going to release while I'm in Dubai. I'm ticketed already on DARAUH, I suppose I could fly that and have Alaska drop the DARDXB leg from my reservation. But I'm hearing over on the EY site that EK > EY even vs. Apartment flights. So I'm quite torn.

Good luck finding your awards home, definitely looks promising as long as you stay on your toes.

Best, Jamie
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, DL GOLD (status matched)
AUS line success MEL-AUH-LHR

I just wanted to add to the thank yous on this thread and share my experience with the Australian AA line

I spent an hour with a regular AA agent on the USA EXP line who found nothing for all of late August/early Sept between Australia-AUH and AUH-London on Etihad

I called the Australia number, had to hold for 10 minutes and then within about 6 minutes had MEL-AUH in F on the 380 and AUH-LHR in J on the exact flights I'd found on the Etihad site. And only $78 AUD in taxes

Very easy and agent was extremely quick and helpful
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by spsDC
I spent an hour with a regular AA agent on the USA EXP line who found nothing for all of late August/early Sept between Australia-AUH and AUH-London on Etihad
Did you have them searching the specific dates and departure times for MEL-AUH and AUH-LHR you wanted in the correct cabins? Because the cabins don't match MEL-LHR searches would have come up blank for both J and F, getting agents to book awards with a voluntarily downgraded segment usually takes extra hand holding.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:40 pm

Ah, I saw there are some dates with 2 seats available on EY F (AUH-MEL), so I have called the AA Australia line to book 2 tickets, using 2 different aadvantage account.

When I call the Australia line I have had no problem to book for first account on F. I was super excited. However, when I booked for my friend using his account, the agent told me there is no availability at all on F. Now he has been booked on business and have the tickets hold for 5 days. Is it system glitch?

I really would like to book First class apartment for him as well.

Did anyone encounter such problem before and how was it resolved?

Thanks,

Last edited by hktramz; Dec 7, 2015 at 6:50 pm
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by hktramz
Ah, I saw there are some dates with 2 seats available on EY F (AUH-MEL), so I have called the AA Australia line to book 2 tickets, using 2 different aadvantage account.

When I call the Australia line I have had no problem to book for first account on F. I was super excited. However, when I booked for my friend using his account, the agent told me there is no availability at all on F. Now he has been booked on business and have the tickets hold for 5 days. Is it system glitch?

I really would like to book First class apartment for him as well.

Did anyone encounter such problem before and how was it resolved?

Thanks,
Sometimes inventory drops from EY side if a single seat is reserved. Once reserved 2 J (online it showed 3 available prior), once these 2 got selected from AA side, availability disappeared. It never reappeared right up to departure. But that doesn't mean it doesn't in general.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: AA PLAT, DL GOLD (status matched)
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Did you have them searching the specific dates and departure times for MEL-AUH and AUH-LHR you wanted in the correct cabins? Because the cabins don't match MEL-LHR searches would have come up blank for both J and F, getting agents to book awards with a voluntarily downgraded segment usually takes extra hand holding.
@Ambraciot: Yes, I asked them to look segment by segment on 2 specific days. I had seen F available on MEL-AUH on Aug 28 and she grabbed that. Then I asked to look for J only on AUH-LHR because I could see there was nothing in F on the dates I wanted on the 380 or 77W. She saw 2 J options, I picked the shorter connection and it was all done for 90K.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Book EY with AA miles. Schedule changed moved me from desired flight to earlier one for some reason. I presume I call EY and not AA correct? Funny enough this is the first time I've ever had a flight change on a partner award reservation.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by spsDC
I picked the shorter connection and it was all done for 90K.
If they'd booked it as a single F award with a voluntarily downgraded J leg it would only be 80k. But that only works if your stay in AUH is short enough to be a connection instead of a stopover.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
If they'd booked it as a single F award with a voluntarily downgraded J leg it would only be 80k. But that only works if your stay in AUH is short enough to be a connection instead of a stopover.
That's not true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.