Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Phasers
Just a data point: There were 3 F seats on the A380 JFK-AUH for tomorrow 12/17 when I checked at 5am EST this morning. By 11am EST, there was 1 left, and by 3pm EST they were all gone.

I would have booked one, but connecting flights had 0 availability to anywhere I wanted to go.
Interesting, thanks for the data.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, *Gold, Skyteam E+
Originally Posted by Phasers
Just a data point: There were 3 F seats on the A380 JFK-AUH for tomorrow 12/17 when I checked at 5am EST this morning. By 11am EST, there was 1 left, and by 3pm EST they were all gone.

I would have booked one, but connecting flights had 0 availability to anywhere I wanted to go.
I booked 2 seats this morning :-) The flight was F7 until 1am ET today. I figured they would release some seats. I checked every couple hours and somewhere between 4-6am ET they released the seats. I think there were 5 guest seats open but I could be wrong. Was scrambling out of bed to call the AA OZ line ASAP and all I saw was there were at least 2 seats open.

Traveling with the wife. Couldn't get two adjacent seats to try out the side-by-side bed but oh well
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by asripathi
I booked 2 seats this morning :-) The flight was F7 until 1am ET today. I figured they would release some seats. I checked every couple hours and somewhere between 4-6am ET they released the seats. I think there were 5 guest seats open but I could be wrong. Was scrambling out of bed to call the AA OZ line ASAP and all I saw was there were at least 2 seats open.

Traveling with the wife. Couldn't get two adjacent seats to try out the side-by-side bed but oh well
You were checking throughout the night? Has anyone deduced at what specific time/hour EST they update their inventory? (I know that there isn't a pattern of if seats will be released, but when it does occur, is it at a certain time?)
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, *Gold, Skyteam E+
Originally Posted by lewis_saint
You were checking throughout the night? Has anyone deduced at what specific time/hour EST they update their inventory? (I know that there isn't a pattern of if seats will be released, but when it does occur, is it at a certain time?)
I was. They were released between 4-6am Eastern. Couldn't tell you if that's always the case as I was only monitoring this particular flight.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:25 am
Suspended

Does anyone know AA miles needed for Etihad F from LHR-AUH? And then from AUH-MLE?

Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Does anyone know AA miles needed for Etihad F from LHR-AUH? And then from AUH-MLE?

Thanks.
40,000--assuming you're just connecting in AUH.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
40,000--assuming you're just connecting in AUH.
Thanks. Seems like there is a ton of availability from LHR to AUH. Guess I will just use my VS miles to get to London and then hop on Etihad to get AUH.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by asripathi
I was. They were released between 4-6am Eastern. Couldn't tell you if that's always the case as I was only monitoring this particular flight.
Very interesting data point. Thanks for that!
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
FYI, I've also seen J seats open up between 7-10 pm EST on multiple occasions. I'm not sure if it's people canceling their J awards or Etihad actually releasing more space, although I'm thinking it's more of the latter.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: EK Gold, Etihad Gold, AA Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
Thumbs down AAdvantage Blocking Premium Etihad Awards Again?

I've tried to book a couple of business class tix for next March a few times over the last several days. Flights showing wide open on Etihad in the saver GuestSeat - actually could get up to 9 seats on the flights! But AA is only showing economy. I had the agent try couple of weeks back and forward and the result was zero availability...

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas for a workaround?

Many thanks in advance
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by EK Captive
Any ideas for a workaround?
Please read the wiki.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Are people still finding that the US AA desk is not seeing certain EY inventory? Another data point: I just booked 2 F seats JFK-AUH (A380) for 3 days out through the US desk. No problems, no long distance charges. I also had no problems when I switched flights (J seats) a week ago.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by frisbfreek
Are people still finding that the US AA desk is not seeing certain EY inventory? Another data point: I just booked 2 F seats JFK-AUH (A380) for 3 days out through the US desk. No problems, no long distance charges. I also had no problems when I switched flights (J seats) a week ago.
Congrats and good to hear! I'd say it's pretty certain that some-- maybe even most-- are still having this issue, but, obviously some RES agents can see awards on -some- flights. I'd always try the US # a couple of times first based on your report. Obviously the long distance charges thing can be worked around many ways.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by frisbfreek
Thanks for the data point. I know we have very little data to draw any conclusions, but I noticed a few things.

First, your flights originate in the US. Seems like most of the others did not.
Second, your flight is within a week. Seems like most of the others were for farther out.

Wonder if there is a correlation.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pbartp
Thanks for the data point. I know we have very little data to draw any conclusions, but I noticed a few things.

First, your flights originate in the US. Seems like most of the others did not.
Second, your flight is within a week. Seems like most of the others were for farther out.

Wonder if there is a correlation.
I don't think I'd agree with those 2 observations, at least that's -my- observation anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.