Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Quick question; do folks who have been ticketed (w/ ticket #) fond that their AA-supplied EY-locator (as in not the AA PNR, obviously) doesn't produce result on EY.com? Shows as cancelled or past-flown?

Thanks!
Just checked an EY booking for January and it looks fine in Etihad's manage booking on etihad.com
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Just checked an EY booking for January and it looks fine in Etihad's manage booking on etihad.com
Uh-oh.. ok, thanks for the rapid feedback!
Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Quick question; do folks who have been ticketed (w/ ticket #) find that their AA-supplied EY-locator (as in not the AA PNR, obviously) doesn't produce result on EY.com? Shows as cancelled or past-flown?

Thanks!
No problems with me too. Two bookings for next year are fine. Cant select seats on AUH-LHR A380 because of a two week long 'equipment change' but thats a different matter!
Old Dec 24, 2015, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Thumbs down

Well, there was a reason, in fact. My JFK-AUH-MUC award booking-- w/ ticket # issued-- departing this weekend-- was cancelled unilaterally by AA according to EY's extremely helpful phone rep. I asked how/if/why maybe some other glitch might have occurred, but, nope-- at least according to EY-- AA cancelled it.

Been DMing AA via twitter last 24 hours and they've been assuring me all is well.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 6:59 pm

Well, there was a reason, in fact. My JFK-AUH-MUC award booking-- w/ ticket # issued-- departing this weekend-- was cancelled unilaterally by AA according to EY's extremely helpful phone rep. I asked how/if/why maybe some other glitch might have occurred, but, nope-- at least according to EY-- AA cancelled it.

Been DMing AA via twitter last 24 hours and they've been assuring me all is well.
That is pretty poor. checking reservation on aa.com, does that show it as being ok or does it show as cancelled?

Which day were you travelling? there is award availability on the 27h to AUH if issues getting it reinstated
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:09 pm
Suspended

That is pretty poor. checking reservation on aa.com, does that show it as being ok or does it show as cancelled?
Shows 100% ok on AA.com and to AA res (and AA twitter.)

However, a look at the PNR notes show that the entire booking was cancelled sometime after I booked it and then re-booked then ticketed immediately thereafter. EY's site constantly shows:

Cannot retrieve booking reservation

We're sorry, your booking cannot be retrieved due to any of these reasons: flights have already flown or booking is cancelled. Please call us at at 02 599 0000 from within the UAE or 00971 2 599 0000 from outside the UAE for assistance.
using the EY PNR, and, EY themselves state that there are no flights associated w/ the ticket #. Which tells me I have to keep pushing until EY no longer tells me that, no matter what AA sees.

EY's phone agent seemed to take the matter very seriously and offered to call me on my cell "the second she got an answer for AA" and really, really just seemed commendably interested in the situation.

But, yes, on AA.com (and to all of AA's reps) it shows as holding confirmed.

EDIT TO ADD: EY called back and said booking is cancelled, no flights presently associated with ticket # ("no flight lines") and that they feel 90% confident AA cancelled it.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Just selected my seats, which I couldn't do yesterday.

Last edited by LukeO9; Dec 24, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LukeO9
Mine shows rudimentary stuff, though correct, but I can't select my seat.
I'd gladly settle for that
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:53 pm

JonNYC ... sorry for the troubles ... hopefully it will get sorted out quickly.

Were you ever able to access your itinerary on Etihad.com? Or you never tried before this instance?

Also, maybe it's time to get the Etihad liaison involved. I know asking the US AA agents to send a message to the EY liaison is like pulling teeth ... but the Aussie desk should be able to do it.

It seems as if AA system never properly transmitted the data over to EY.

Edit: Obvious question but did you reconfirm the ticket number(s) and EY PNR with the AA agent? Maybe they got changed during the cancellation / rebooking but never reached you.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
JonNYC ... sorry for the troubles ... hopefully it will get sorted out quickly.

Were you ever able to access your itinerary on Etihad.com? Or you never tried before this instance?

Also, maybe it's time to get the Etihad liaison involved. I know asking the US AA agents to send a message to the EY liaison is like pulling teeth ... but the Aussie desk should be able to do it.

It seems as if AA system never properly transmitted the data over to EY.
Was never able to pull it up, but, too, never tried until a few hours after ticket issued. All AA phone contacts so far have been amazing (AA Twitter gave up the second it got complicated) and they are cueing it over to EY liaison, but, of course, an awfully tough time period to get anything done. They made me call back EY to have them search by ticket # before cueing it over (makes sense) and I do feel somewhat confident that it'll be cueing over shortly.

The expression "no flight lines" (associated with ticket #) keeps coming up-- and indeed the PNR entry is devoid of any flights on EY.com, etc., etc.

If anyone's morbidly curious to follow this strange sojourn, I've tweeted AA begging for their assistance/involvement:
https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/680194977629077504
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by LukeO9
Just selected my seats, which I couldn't do yesterday.
If I'm flying EY20 in F, then transfer to a connecting flight in J the next day (12hr layover, leaving the airport), do I get first lounge access for the connecting flight the following day?
I know with one world airlines you don't get business lounge access if the next leg, the next day (even if within 24 hrs) is in economy, even though its an economy only flight on a J ticket.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:13 pm

Was never able to pull it up, but, too, never tried until a few hours after ticket issued. All AA phone contacts so far have been amazing (AA Twitter gave up the second it got complicated) and they are cueing it over to EY liaison, but, of course, an awfully tough time period to get anything done. They made me call back EY to have them search by ticket # before cueing it over (makes sense) and I do feel somewhat confident that it'll be cueing over shortly.

The expression "no flight lines" (associated with ticket #) keeps coming up-- and indeed the PNR entry is devoid of any flights on EY.com, etc., etc.

If anyone's morbidly curious to follow this strange sojourn, I've tweeted AA begging for their assistance/involvement:
https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/680194977629077504
I feel badly as you're right about being in a tough place timing wise. I know AA's EY 'team' that reviews awards before ticketing does not work over weekends...if that's the same team aka the 'liaison' then it might be difficult to establish contact before Monday and your flight is on this weekend

Is there anyway to convince AA's ticketing department to cancel and reissue the award for (re)ticketing? That might solve this debacle. The Aussie desk might be more helpful with this request vs the US desk

The Twitter team is great for simpler requests (seat/meal selection, praise/complaint, looking up info) but anything remotely serious and they will back down and defer you to contact AA directly. I don't think they have too much authority.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:17 pm

The Aussie desk might be more helpful with this request vs the US desk
If you call now you will be interfering with their Christmas lunch, traditionally the primary meal of the day.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:17 pm

Is there anyway to convince AA's ticketing department to cancel and reissue the award for (re)ticketing? That might solve this debacle. The Aussie desk might be more helpful with this request vs the US desk
that would only work if there is award availability
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:26 pm

that would only work if there is award availability
What if JonNYC forces a reticketing by changing to a different flight for the AUH>MUC leg? There are two flights a day (2am and 9am) ... business class award space is aplenty, if JonNYC is OK with a downgrade on AUH>MUC (I'm assuming he's in F).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.