Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

“Enhanced bin access” (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

“Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.”
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld® RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:40 pm

travel on award ticket, why does AA sell miles but not MCE seats?

I'm a little confused as to why AA is willing to see you extra miles when flying on an award ticket. On the other hand, they can't sell MCE seating for $$ on the same award ticket?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
IT system limitations
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by maizenblue07
IT system limitations
seriously? they're still using a 1985-era IT system? the CEO or CIO didn't get a memo that it's already 2015?

when I give my friends/relatives my award tickets, they can pay extra to UA for Economy Plus seats.

not so when I give them my award tickets on AA. Seems like a lot of lost pure profit to me.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
just one of many where they are still deficient in maximizing revenue from awards--by which i mean the chance to lessen the outstanding miles liability on their sheets.

for instance, J seats go out empty LHR-JFK often but the day of, they show no saver availability--a great chance if i wanted to book that from a coach seat, but poor management up to departure is likely why. same on being able to dump more miles for a BA codeshare to eco +
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Or just look at it as encouragement to book at the AAnytime level and choose any seat you'd like...
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AppleApe
I'm a little confused as to why AA is willing to see you extra miles when flying on an award ticket. On the other hand, they can't sell MCE seating for $$ on the same award ticket?
I believe that it cannot sell MCE seating since that would class as part of price of ticket and so the various taxes would then need to be calculated as per a paid ticket

Selling miles doesn't impact the fare
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I believe that it cannot sell MCE seating since that would class as part of price of ticket and so the various taxes would then need to be calculated as per a paid ticket

Selling miles doesn't impact the fare

if so, how can other airlines do it so easily? or does the government only charge taxes on AA tickets?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AppleApe
if so, how can other airlines do it so easily? or does the government only charge taxes on AA tickets?
Which airlines do you have in mind? DL handles extras (wifi, Comfort+, Mileage Boost) all as ancillary transactions, not part of fare. (Maybe AA's systems can't handle that.)
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It was discussed here a few weeks ago, but there seems to be a bug with the AA app that lets even GLD pax on saver award tickets select certain MCE seats in advance, for free. It still works as of a few days ago, at least with the Android app.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Citi Platinum
Refund question [MCE cost refund if I gain status?]

I am a Citi AAdvantage Platinum card member. I booked my first flights on AA a week ago and bought Economy Plus seats, the trip is in September. I will easily meet the spending requirement ($3000 in 3 months) to qualify for the 50,000 miles. Once the 50,000 miles post to my account and I get instant free Advantage Platinum status, will I get a refund for the Economy Plus seats? Also, how do upgrades work? Will my credit card put me ahead of other Advantage Platinums or does it not help with upgrade priority?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by geraldrice
I am a Citi AAdvantage Platinum card member. I booked my first flights on AA a week ago and bought Economy Plus seats, the trip is in September. I will easily meet the spending requirement ($3000 in 3 months) to qualify for the 50,000 miles. Once the 50,000 miles post to my account and I get instant free Advantage Platinum status, will I get a refund for the Economy Plus seats? Also, how do upgrades work? Will my credit card put me ahead of other Advantage Platinums or does it not help with upgrade priority?
You won't be getting Advantage Platinum status.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Ummm...why would you get platinum status from the credit card?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Ummm...why would you get platinum status from the credit card?
As I said, not from the card itself, that does not grant platinum status, but from the 50,000 miles that will post to my account. I will meet the spend requirement and will then get 50,000 miles. Advantage platinum starts at 50,000 miles according to this link:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...false&from=Nav
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Love to know the card offer which provides that. Where did you get it?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:58 pm

According to this link, platinum status starts at 50,000 miles. As I said, I will meet the minimum spending requirement and will therefore get 50,000 miles

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...false&from=Nav

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.