Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

“Enhanced bin access” (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

“Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.”
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld® RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2024, 2:19 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
If I book award tickets for a non-status family member and the AA website allows me to put them in MCE seats, will AA later kick them out of those award seats because they have no status and I am not traveling with them?

I was surprised it was letting me put them in the MCE seats.
Surprised too. Usually it’ll stay unless there’s an equipment change. Or some type of changes.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
I am booked MCE with 3 members of my family on an upcoming roundtrip set of flights in late March. Seats have already been selected. If I split myself and one other passenger out to get on the upgrade list ("divorced" so two separate PNR for each of us, and another for the other two in the reservation) will the other three passengers who are not me lose their MCE seats/privileges? I am in particular concerned if they decide to make some small change to the flight time or even a change to a different type of plane that they may lose those seats but don't know if this concern is unfounded.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Rossodio
I am booked MCE with 3 members of my family on an upcoming roundtrip set of flights in late March. Seats have already been selected. If I split myself and one other passenger out to get on the upgrade list ("divorced" so two separate PNR for each of us, and another for the other two in the reservation) will the other three passengers who are not me lose their MCE seats/privileges? I am in particular concerned if they decide to make some small change to the flight time or even a change to a different type of plane that they may lose those seats but don't know if this concern is unfounded.
No they will not lose their MCE seats. Your companions don't need to be on the same reservation in order to get your seating benefits (you just have to call AA if they're not on the same reservation).

So even if something entirely wonky happened and all your seats were shuffled it would just take a call to AA to get everyone back in MCE next to you.

But schedules for March should be 99% finalized so barring something very wacky there shouldn't be any schedule changes or equipment changes to worry about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.