Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

“Enhanced bin access” (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

“Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.”
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld® RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Djokison
MCE can't be purchased on award flights. Thus this is only an issue for no status members and GLD members, as PLT and EXP get it for free.
Ahhh, that's what it is. Thank you for the clarification. I forgot GLD no longer gets comp MCE.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

The wiki has been updated as of 10 Feb 2015. (Remember, any signed in member with 90 days on FT and 90 posts can edit the wiki.)

/Moderator
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
MCE Refund if hit Platinum

Flying to Europe for a week.

The Saturday/Sunday flight out will put me over points for my Platinum Challenge points.

Thinking of reserving a MCE for Return flight on 777 following Saturday.

If I hit Platinum, will they refund my MCE?
If not, should I just wait or eat the Price?
Anyone know how long before it processes (one you hit challenge)?

Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I don't think they will refund it. I'm on the recent elite status promo. Gold posted for me the next day after I received 6000 miles. Platinum still hasn't posted a week after receiving 12,000. How far in advance is this?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by rthib
Flying to Europe for a week.

The Saturday/Sunday flight out will put me over points for my Platinum Challenge points.

Thinking of reserving a MCE for Return flight on 777 following Saturday.

If I hit Platinum, will they refund my MCE?
If not, should I just wait or eat the Price?
Anyone know how long before it processes (one you hit challenge)?

Thanks
Someone reported on FT they did get a refund.
I think at the time it was someone who made Gold, and this was before the change for Golds to not get free MCE.
What did AA say?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:08 pm

Hi all,

Just new to the site... I have a quick question regarding AA's MCE seats. So I was able to reserve MCE seats for my upcoming flights to HKG as an oneworld sapphire with airberlin. Just curious if I would lose my MCE seats if I switch my airberlin number to BA number later on just for the sake of collecting full miles (no status on BA)??
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Probably so. If you want the benefits associated with AA AAdvantage status it means accruing miles in AAdvantage. They might not search systematically and boot you but a flight number or schedule change could leave you without seats, let alone seats in MCE.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Paying For MCE with AA Giftcard

Its not letting me pay for main cabin extra seats online with a gift card for AA.... is it not possible? Or something you can do over phone?

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:38 pm
Original Member

You cannot pay for seats with GC - only credit. True for both online and phone.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
From aa.com:

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:35 pm

My AA154 flight from NRT-ORD now shows MCE seats even though it's still a 3-class 772 and previously showed these seats as Preferred. Is there actually additional leg room or is AA being cute?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by laurenceYYZ
My AA154 flight from NRT-ORD now shows MCE seats even though it's still a 3-class 772 and previously showed these seats as Preferred. Is there actually additional leg room or is AA being cute?
Depends.

More legroom than other seats in the cabin? Yes.

More legroom than they've always already had? Nope.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by laurenceYYZ
AA is being cute and trying to milk a little extra revenue out of people by marketing what were once standard exit row seats as MCE. The seats are exactly the same as they were before, AA is just apparently struggling for money at the moment and really needed to raise the prices of these seats by calling them MCE rather than Preferred.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
AA is being cute and trying to milk a little extra revenue out of people by marketing what were once standard exit row seats as MCE. The seats are exactly the same as they were before, AA is just apparently struggling for money at the moment and really needed to raise the prices of these seats by calling them MCE rather than Preferred.
Not to mention stripping the seats away from Golds, since they can't choose MCE seats for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.