Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

“Enhanced bin access” (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

“Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.”
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld® RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Djokison
Not to mention stripping the seats away from Golds, since they can't choose MCE seats for free.
Good point, and one that I should have realized since I'm now GLD. I haven't flown AA since dropping from EXP to GLD on 3/1 so I've been forgetting a bit recently.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by italdesign
I just want to confirm one thing.

On an award ticket, which could be issued by AA, BA, or US, if I'm OW Sapphire or have AS status, do I get complementary MCE?
Do you mean Alaska status? According to the terms, MCE is NOT available to AS elites, based on status. Preferred seats are.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCab...maincabinextra

Last edited by mvoight; Mar 12, 2015 at 6:17 am
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mvoight
Do you mean AS status? According to the terms, MCE is NOT available to AS elites, based on status. Preferred seats are.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCab...maincabinextra
The question you're now answering was asked-- and extensively answered-- in November of last year.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
The question you're now answering was asked-- and extensively answered-- in November of last year.
That might be the case, but the thread was responded to recently and the answer the poster had been given when asking about MCE and BA and AS status, was wrong. Someone simply answered "yes". This is not correct for AS and is clearly documented.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Anyone seeing issues today with MCE seats showing on AA.COM available seats but not in a record (Yes AA # is only Mileage number in the record)

Had to have an agent manually pick seats ; also agent insisted that MCE seats will change on the 737 soon? This sounded like a HUCA ; but she grabbed the seats I wanted. Might be that my agency Sabre record for this ticket has two Porter segments in it which may be hosing AA's parsing of the record.

EDIT: seems to be having Porter segments in the Sabre part of the itin is wacking the web interface for premium/MCE seats. EXP agents had no issues doing the seats just something about non OW/Interline partners in the record causing grief.

Last edited by NickP 1K; Mar 13, 2015 at 3:20 pm
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat
As an AA Gold, I recently reserved a “preferred” seat on an upcoming LAX-NRT AA flight that was not configured with MCE. However, that seat now shows as MCE even though the aircraft does not appear to have been reconfigured for 2 class service.

This raises a few questions – will AA require I pay for MCE when I check in? Am I at risk of being moved from this seat since I didn’t pay for MCE when I originally selected it?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jim_F
This raises a few questions – will AA require I pay for MCE when I check in? Am I at risk of being moved from this seat since I didn’t pay for MCE when I originally selected it?
You shouldn't be required to pay if you had already selected it when it was still called 'preferred.' Whether or not you're at risk for being moved or not, it's difficult to say as this seems to be a recent change. You should be safe so long as there isn't an equipment swap or something.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
You shouldn't be required to pay if you had already selected it when it was still called 'preferred.' Whether or not you're at risk for being moved or not, it's difficult to say as this seems to be a recent change. You should be safe so long as there isn't an equipment swap or something.
I don't dare try to change seats either! I'll just have to hope nothing unsual happens...
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold & Marriott Gold
I had this happen to me in January as a Gold. Was able to keep the seats and had no additional charge. You should be good to go.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't dare try to change seats either! I'll just have to hope nothing unsual happens...
Yes, definitely don't try to change seats!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:12 pm

Question Any cost to change paid MCE seat on same flight?

If I pay for an MCE seat (either full price or 50% Gold price) several months in advance of my flight, does AA charge to change my booking to a different MCE seat on the same flight? For example, on a 77W, from 18J to 19H? Thank you.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paul_from_losangeles
If I pay for an MCE seat (either full price or 50% Gold price) several months in advance of my flight, does AA charge to change my booking to a different MCE seat on the same flight? For example, on a 77W, from 18J to 19H? Thank you.
No, once you pay for MCE you should be able to select any other seat in that cabin, assuming it's selling for the same price. I'm not sure how AA.com handles price differences (4 star/3 star seats). I've not actually tried that before.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Not liking the reduction of MCE on the 738. It is not unusual if I am booking late to have only the choice of middles or preferred non-existent legroom seats if I don't want a middle.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:41 pm

As an AA Gold, I recently reserved a “preferred” seat on an upcoming LAX-NRT AA flight that was not configured with MCE. However, that seat now shows as MCE even though the aircraft does not appear to have been reconfigured for 2 class service.

Update - I was not charged for the MCE for the flights where the Preferred seats were changed to MCE. When I went to check-in, the seats were available at no charge so I was able to change seats with no problems.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Looks like some seats that were originally free for Golds at booking have been rebadged as MCE.

These include the non-reclining exit row on the MD-80 (20) and the exit row on ERJ-140/145s (11 and 12 respectively).

This is new in the last month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.