Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

“Enhanced bin access” (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

“Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.”
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld® RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I would like to thank you guys for your patience in helping me understand this. It all makes sense now:

My AS status was too new, so AA thought I had no status. No-status members don't get comp MCE; they can buy it, but not on award tickets, which is what I booked. This means under no circumstance could I possibly get MCE, so the system simply showed them as unavailable.

Well, today my AS status came thru, and it looks a lot better:

Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:59 am

Has anyone else had issues with AA recognising their OW sapphire status (in my case Cathay Pacific gold)? I'd like to book MCE seats for our flights next summer by put it is asking for £37 each on MMB despite my details being correct. Phone calls have also been no help. My status doesn't expire until after the flight, I'm also concerned I may not get the free checked luggage.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by trvllvr123
Has anyone else had issues with AA recognising their OW sapphire status (in my case Cathay Pacific gold)? I'd like to book MCE seats for our flights next summer by put it is asking for £37 each on MMB despite my details being correct. Phone calls have also been no help. My status doesn't expire until after the flight, I'm also concerned I may not get the free checked luggage.
I have found inconsistency in carriers recognizing OneWorld status. My recent booking with JAL proved that where I was very limited in seats I could choose traveling in first class. OneWorld has to provide consistent benefits.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
"Priority Seating" is not a whole alliance oneworld elite "benefit".

Some member airlines choose to provide "Priority Seating" to *O elites - but this is not across the alliance.

There is even the caveat: (http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/oneworld-benefits)
Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating**
**In accordance with the individual policy of the oneworld airline operating the flight.

Last edited by serfty; Dec 1, 2014 at 1:59 pm
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, LH FTL, HHonors Gold
Hi,

I have the BA silver status which is recognised in the AA booking and I can select all MCE seats without extra charge.

My wife and child have a seperate booking as they do not return with me on the same day, but we have the same flights on the way from Madrid to Lima via Miami.

Is there a chance that support will be able to seat them in the MCE without extra charge as it would be possible if they were on the same booking? Experiences on this?

Thank you in advance and best regards
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT Globalist, Marriott GLD, Car National Exe
AA PLAT - MCE for international flight

Hi everyone,

I have AA Plat and when I booked the my trip this morning to Vietnam in April; somehow I was able to select MCE for domestic flights (PHL<->ORD), but I was unable to select MCE for the international flights which AA operated (ORD<->NRT) it only allowed me to selected preffered seat. Is this true that MCE for AA Plat only applied to domestic flight and not international flight? or it's only applied to Y fare? I have Q fare. Thank you very much for your help.

Q
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by quanh79
Hi everyone,

I have AA Plat and when I booked the my trip this morning to Vietnam in April; somehow I was able to select MCE for domestic flights (PHL<->ORD), but I was unable to select MCE for the international flights which AA operated (ORD<->NRT) it only allowed me to selected preffered seat. Is this true that MCE for AA Plat only applied to domestic flight and not international flight? or it's only applied to Y fare? I have Q fare. Thank you very much for your help.

Q
No, that is not true. PLT can select MCE on any flight unless it's an award ticket. In your case I believe ORD-NRT is only operated using the 3-class 772 which is not equipped with MCE.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
PLT can select MCE on any flight unless it's an award ticket.
Are you sure about this?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by quanh79
I have AA Plat and when I booked the my trip this morning to Vietnam in April; somehow I was able to select MCE for domestic flights (PHL<->ORD), but I was unable to select MCE for the international flights which AA operated (ORD<->NRT) it only allowed me to selected preffered seat.
Is your flight on a 777, or the 777-300ER code 77W? The 777s that still show a first class cabin have not been given MCE seats.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Last time I checked, the ORD-NRT 777s (and NRT-DFW) were still 777s.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GuysInCT
Are you sure about this?
As a PLT I never had an issue selecting an MCE seat on any flight (unless of course MCE is full). I'm pretty sure that MCE cannot be selected on awards, though perhaps that's just GLD.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT Globalist, Marriott GLD, Car National Exe
No, that is not true. PLT can select MCE on any flight unless it's an award ticket. In your case I believe ORD-NRT is only operated using the 3-class 772 which is not equipped with MCE.
cmd320,

Thanks for the clarification. I checked with seatguru and confirmed that it's a 3-class 772.

3Cforme, Abidjan,

Thank you both! indeed it's a 772.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
I'm pretty sure that MCE cannot be selected on awards, though perhaps that's just GLD.
Certainly not a problem for PLT, I've done it for two separate award trips in the last 2 weeks.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GuysInCT
Certainly not a problem for PLT, I've done it for two separate award trips in the last 2 weeks.
It must only be GLD then.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:07 pm

It must only be GLD then.
MCE can't be purchased on award flights. Thus this is only an issue for no status members and GLD members, as PLT and EXP get it for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.