Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

“Enhanced bin access” (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

“Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.”
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld® RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by flatseatlover
I am gold and am trying to upgrade an award ticket to Main cabin extra purchased through BA. I know it is 50% off and not free anymore but the webpage didn't allow me to select those seats. The first supervisor I spoke to said that I cannot get MCE on award ticket and explained to them that elites can do this and even showed them this from aa.com but he said well you can look at it two ways.

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?
A: Elite status members may select Main Cabin Extra seats when traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets. However, Main Cabin Extra is not available for purchase by non-elite customers traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets.

The next supervisor read through this and said well since you didn't book this through aa.com so you can't get MCE either. I explained to them I used to be able to select those seats as a gold member and I always book through britishairways.com but she did not believe me.

It seems after the system changed Mar 1 it is having troubled with reservations imported in from BA.com and even excluding elites from purchasing MCE seats.

Is there something I am missing. Do aa award tickets purchased through britishairway.com get treated differently from aa milesaver tickets. It seems there are many ignorant employees over at aa and they keep trying to make up reasons.
As there's an extant thread discussing MCE eligibility, this will be merged into it.

In future, please do your fellow FlyerTalkers a favour and use a thread title that describes the thread's contents; this courtesy will be appreciated!

~Moderator
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
As the FAQ also says,

However, Main Cabin Extra is not available for purchase by non-elite customers traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets.

As of 1 March, those with Ruby status fit into those requiring seat purchase and it is not permitted

The FAQ was written before march and seems not to have been updated to properly indicate the situation for ruby status members

Can the new language be found at aa.com? As you have mentioned the "old" language still exists:

Gold Revenue ticket access:
We know the extra legroom is important to you when traveling in the Main Cabin, so we are pleased to offer AAdvantage® Gold and oneworld® Ruby members, as well as Dividend Miles Silver Preferred members^ two ways to access Main Cabin Extra seats:
Purchase Main Cabin Extra for 50% off
Enjoy complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra within 24 hours of departure (if seats are available)

Gold AAward:
A: Elite status members may select Main Cabin Extra seats when traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets. However, Main Cabin Extra is not available for purchase by non-elite customers traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I still don't quite understand the rules for an AA GLD member to get into MCE for no extra cost. Last week, I flew DFW-BOS-DFW. I booked the flight about a week and a half out in advance. When I booked it, I was able to select MCE seats. For no cost. I wound up getting upgraded to F on both legs so it turned out not to matter much. But I would have had MCE if I didn't luck out on the upgrades.

So , just now, I booked a flight DFW-PHX for next Monday. I can only select an MCE seat if I pay. I don't understand. I know I am not really supposed to get MCE as Gold. Why was I able to get it for my trip to BOS?

I suppose the best I can do is same day standby next Monday? Probably won't bother requesting an upgrade DFW-PHX. It's a really short hop.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
So , just now, I booked a flight DFW-PHX for next Monday. I can only select an MCE seat if I pay. I don't understand. I know I am not really supposed to get MCE as Gold. Why was I able to get it for my trip to BOS?
Because they delayed the implementation of the new rule beyond when they had announced it would take effect. It finally took effect last week. (Previously selected seats will still remain intact & free, as long as nothing changes).
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
You'll recover.

I am curious about why the different experiences. I have not had that problem with AA flights on my BA-issued mileage tickets this year or last year. I've booked and flown a huge number of these kind of trips myself, and I've booked and had others flown on AA even more on these kind of tickets than I've flown myself -- and they aren't getting my BA or AA elite status showing on their AA boarding passes; and I've been able to get my AA number into my AA PNR when flying on these BA-issued award tickets.
This is not true at all. I've purchased well over a dozen roundtrips on AA with Avios, and every single time I call up AA and ask them to add my EXP AAdvantage number so I can get my benefits. Every single time the AAgent makes the change in seconds.

I used to go to Finnair's website, but I've found more than half the time it doesnt work. I then went to go to RJ website, and it also doesnt work anymore.

Maybe its a case of non-EXP agent vs EXP agent?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by swag
Because they delayed the implementation of the new rule beyond when they had announced it would take effect. It finally took effect last week. (Previously selected seats will still remain intact & free, as long as nothing changes).
ahh... OK.. I had thought the benefit expired at the end of February, or maybe end of March. Didn't know it got delayed until mid-April.

Thanks.
Old May 20, 2014, 6:05 pm

Management is free to do whatever they want, but I find the inability to even pay cash for the MCE upgrade as a Gold on a milesaaver to be extremely annoying and disrespectful of the loyalty shown to earn Gold (lifetime or annual, BIS or bonus mile-based). In my case, my legs don't really fit into a 31' pitch seat and I don't want to wait around T-24 to find out if I can get MCE. I either need to book MCE, F, a second seat or something, with some reasonable assurance that it will hold up, or I'd rather not go at all. I know UA is generally awful, but if they let their Golds into E+ on awards, they might be worth a second look.
Old May 20, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by dhacker
Management is free to do whatever they want, but I find the inability to even pay cash for the MCE upgrade as a Gold on a milesaaver to be extremely annoying and disrespectful of the loyalty shown to earn Gold (lifetime or annual, BIS or bonus mile-based).
I don't think they view Golds as having shown any (significant) loyalty, thus they don't find it disrespectful. I'm not saying you haven't been loyal, but if I'm correct one can obtain Gold without really showing any loyalty at all (maybe even without flying but using credit card?). And they've recently proved (by taking away so many past Gold level perks) that they don't much value Golds in general, on the average, don't you agree?

It seems this treatment of Golds you reference has become pretty consistent with recent other treatment
Old May 20, 2014, 8:54 pm

The disrespect is only amplified by their indifference. For me, this issue matters a lot and I'll take some business elsewhere or stay home. All so they can deny me the opportunity to BUY more legroom on planes already configured with such seats??? Makes no sense unless its a technical problem or selling the seat on an otherwise free ticket triggers a huge tax or something.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
This is not true at all. I've purchased well over a dozen roundtrips on AA with Avios, and every single time I call up AA and ask them to add my EXP AAdvantage number so I can get my benefits. Every single time the AAgent makes the change in seconds.

I used to go to Finnair's website, but I've found more than half the time it doesnt work. I then went to go to RJ website, and it also doesnt work anymore.

Maybe its a case of non-EXP agent vs EXP agent?
I'm AA Platinum, and I booked 2 sets of trips a week apart, both using Avios for milesaaver tickets, and had 2 completely different experiences. The first one, I'm flying my family out to ORD from LGA, and when I booked, I wasn't able to choose MCE seats so I called AA and the representative immediately fixed this issue in a matter of 2 minutes.

I just booked my second leg back to LGA just for myself ran into the same problem. So I called AA again, and this time the representative told me that even with status, award tickets booked on milesaaver were not eligible for MCE seat selection. When I told him that I was able to do this a week ago and gave him the record locator for that trip, he kept me on hold for 10 minutes, spoke to 2 different supervisors, neither of whom had any idea of how to do this. After a while, they just assigned me a seat in MCE and then I was able to select a different seat.

I told the representative that the website still states that status members can choose MCE on milesaaver awards, but he was just as dumbfounded as the 2 other AA supervisors. To his credit, he did apologize for keeping me on hold for so long
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by dhacker
Management is free to do whatever they want, but I find the inability to even pay cash for the MCE upgrade as a Gold on a milesaaver to be extremely annoying and disrespectful of the loyalty shown to earn Gold (lifetime or annual, BIS or bonus mile-based). In my case, my legs don't really fit into a 31' pitch seat and I don't want to wait around T-24 to find out if I can get MCE. I either need to book MCE, F, a second seat or something, with some reasonable assurance that it will hold up, or I'd rather not go at all. I know UA is generally awful, but if they let their Golds into E+ on awards, they might be worth a second look.
UA and DL both allow anyone (elite or not) to make a cash purchase of their E+ and Economy Comfort products on saver-type award redemptions.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
How does changing FF program affect MCE?

As an AA PLT I can select MCE seats.

If at check-in I request a change to my CX OW Ruby account, what happens, if anything?

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
As an AA PLT I can select MCE seats.

If at check-in I request a change to my CX OW Ruby account, what happens, if anything?

Happy wandering

Fred
In airport control - all seats are available to all parties.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by reeg2
In airport control - all seats are available to all parties.
No, non-elites still have to pay unless assigned to MCE by airport staff.

This is not applicable in this case, as a OW Ruby has free access to MCE within 24 hours of departure. It's also not applicable as I assume the seats are already selected.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by canyonleo
I don't think they view Golds as having shown any (significant) loyalty, thus they don't find it disrespectful. I'm not saying you haven't been loyal, but if I'm correct one can obtain Gold without really showing any loyalty at all (maybe even without flying but using credit card?). And they've recently proved (by taking away so many past Gold level perks) that they don't much value Golds in general, on the average, don't you agree?

It seems this treatment of Golds you reference has become pretty consistent with recent other treatment
You certainly cannot get Gold status on AA with a credit card. You can get only 10K elite qualifying miles a year with one.

Gold includes plenty of people who fly AA every few weeks (albeit on relatively short trips) even on high fares, easily spending $10K a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.