Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

“Enhanced bin access” (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

“Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.”
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld® RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: AA PLT
I do it on the phone all the time.
Old May 8, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Can be easily done on phone or in-person, cannot be done online.

Note that other PLT benefits such as same day standby, checked bags, etc, will not be applied to the separate PNR.
Old May 12, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I'm pretty sure this is a clueless agent at work, but just to confirm...

Mom is trying to get MCE on an AA-issued award ticket. She is using AS 75K credential. For some reason the website doesn't let her assign the seat. It lets her select it but then comes back with an error saying it's not available. She tweeted AA, who replied as follows:

"award seats are not eligible for Main Cabin Extra or Preferred Seating. Sorry for any disappointment."

This contradicts my experience. I've recently gotten MCE on AA.com as either AS 75K or OWS, all on award tickets. So, is this a new policy, or did we run into a Clueless Agent (TM)?
Old May 12, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by italdesign
I'm pretty sure this is a clueless agent at work, but just to confirm...

Mom is trying to get MCE on an AA-issued award ticket. She is using AS 75K credential. For some reason the website doesn't let her assign the seat. It lets her select it but then comes back with an error saying it's not available. She tweeted AA, who replied as follows:

"award seats are not eligible for Main Cabin Extra or Preferred Seating. Sorry for any disappointment."

This contradicts my experience. I've recently gotten MCE on AA.com as either AS 75K or OWS, all on award tickets. So, is this a new policy, or did we run into a Clueless Agent (TM)?
AA.com is inconclusive. At:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp

it says:
AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, AAdvantage® Platinum members and their oneworld® equivalents, as well as customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket receive complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra seats.
No mention of AS status.

There's a single-asterisk footnote still that includes AS status:
*AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members. Alaska Airlines MVP® Gold and MVP® Gold 75K customers and up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.
But if you search that page for "*" (a single asterisk), you'll find there's no text that references that footnote!

Meanwhile, are you sure you got MCE on award flights in cases where they didn't know your OW Sapphire status, and only knew your AS status? It's clear that OWS gives you MCE, but it's less clear whether AS 75k does or not.

Last edited by sdsearch; May 12, 2015 at 6:51 pm
Old May 12, 2015, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
AA.com is inconclusive. At:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp

it says:
AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, AAdvantage® Platinum members and their oneworld® equivalents, as well as customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket receive complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra seats.
No mention of AS status.

There's a single-asterisk footnote still that includes AS status:
*AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members. Alaska Airlines MVP® Gold and MVP® Gold 75K customers and up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.
But if you search that page for "*" (a single asterisk), you'll find there's no text that references that footnote!
It's pretty easy to see where the * was intended. One assumes they simply missed it.

Meanwhile, are you sure you got MCE on award flights in cases where they didn't know your OW Sapphire status, and only knew your AS status?
Yep. I'm looking at a BP dated Mar 2 of this year. It was booked just a few days before that and has my AS# on it. It was booked via AS so the AS# is the only # it takes. And it definitely has MCE (9A on a 738).
Old May 13, 2015, 7:44 am

OK, I figured out the problem. The seat I was trying to select is designated as "for elites and full fare customers only". I guess 75K isn't in that category, while OWS is. Selected another MCE seat just fine.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:23 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
I dropped to Gold this year. I know on a Milesaver award ticket that a Gold can't choose or pay for a MCE seat. But what about at checkin if those seats are still available, does it let me choose or pay for a Milesaver then or still block me out all together for them? Thanks
Old May 22, 2015, 8:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Bigshaker
I dropped to Gold this year. I know on a Milesaver award ticket that a Gold can't choose or pay for a MCE seat. But what about at checkin if those seats are still available, does it let me choose or pay for a Milesaver then or still block me out all together for them? Thanks
Don't MCE become available to all at T-24?
Old May 22, 2015, 1:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bigshaker
Originally Posted by JDiver
That's correct, you'll be able to choose from what's left when you check in.
Old May 24, 2015, 6:55 pm

MCE sold at gate after check in closes

I've come back to AA after a seven year absence and flew AA210 JFK-MAN on 23 May with my other half.

Right up to 45 minutes before scheduled departure we were in 29HJ and would have been charged $65 each for 20HJ.

Asked a gate agent about moving to 20HJ and was told that I'd have to wait to see if anyone with PLT or EXP wanted them first, fair enough, but after check in closed, I assumed that any available seats came under gate control and could be allocated on a first come, first served basis (in the same cabin, that is) but I was told in that 45 minute window the seats still were chargeable at $65 each. I left it and kept my original seats.

As we boarded, 20HJ was still empty as the doors were about to close and two passengers already boarded were moved to 20HJ by an FA. Don't know if they had status or not, but assume they didn't pay.

What's the usual deal for allocating seats at gate after check in closes and there are no more elites to take those seats? Are they still chargeable and who has the power to move passengers already boarded?
Old May 24, 2015, 7:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
MCE sold at gate after check in closes

Seats are still chargeable. FA can move.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
MCE appears to be available to all at T-24 hours but non-elites like me appears to be chargeable right up until check in closes, and then still chargeable at gate between T-45 minutes and scheduled departure time. I've created a separate thread with questions on this.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
You were lucky you didn't get them. Yes, they are exit row but the leg room sucks and they have limited/no recline. They are the booby prizes of exit row.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by JMN57
You were lucky you didn't get them. Yes, they are exit row but the leg room sucks and they have limited/no recline. They are the booby prizes of exit row.
This is a 763? Then ditto. 20HJ are terrible seats.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:23 am

We would've been happy with 20HJ - not bothered about recline, just extra legroom for a 6'2" other half and the TV screen would've been OK for the in flight "entertainment"! I should've just selected them for $65 each.

FWIW the upgrade fee from our discount economy O tickets to business would've been $410 each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.