Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

“Enhanced bin access” (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

“Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.”
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld® RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by rkh29
As a Gold on a saver award I can pick any available MCE seat at 24 hour mark.
I did not see what about the time of pick seat on the second or any subsequent flights. Can seats on those be chosen at 24 hour time of first segment or does each segment require a new 24 hour time??
I was checking in for an ORD-DFW-MIA trip two months ago at the T-24 mark and had to wait until T-24 for the connection before I was able to choose MCE for free.

(not that it mattered since I ended up misconnecting and ended up enjoying the last row of an oversold 767)
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Oneworld Sapphire for MCE but earn with AA/AS?

I can choose any MCE for $0 by entering my Oneworld Sapphire FF# into my reservation at booking, but I want to earn the miles with AA or AS. Is there still a way to have two FF#'s in our reservations for AA-operated flights? Are folks just changing their FF# after they've checked in to make sure the flights are credited to their desired program?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Just a heads up that now that US Flights are AA flights post-October, exit rows (previously free for all elites) are now Main Cabin Extra.

I'm guessing the exit rows won't be free at T24 as they used to be on US then, though they will be free as MCE to Golds at T24 at least still. I always loved snagged 10ABC on the US a321 at time of purchase as a gold, or at T24 with no status. I never really had a problem getting them even with no status at T24, but I can see why AA would want to monetize it as it is worth a small premium for the 'porch.'
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, LT GLD
Lost MCE seats DFW-HKG [but restored them]

Hi, brand new member here so be gentle. Currently AA Plat and going for EXP, thus doing my very first mileage run in October: DCA-DFW-HKG-SIN-HKG-DFW-ABQ. Can't tell you how happy I was to discover this site and find other people equally obsessed about air travel and stuff like that.

Anyhow, I booked the above itinerary about a month ago, in Y sorry to say (waitlisted for paid upgrades, but not holding my breath, I know how tough an upgrade DFW-HKG is). Got involved with reading the epic thread about the guy flying DFW-LHR who lost his F seats (Yes, I read the whole thing, no, not in one sitting).

Which prompted me to check on my own seats for the long trip. (Have about 5 trips booked between now and then, but all short hop domestic). To my horror, my 18A MCE seat had turned into 35A. Fortunately I was able to restore it back but called the Plat desk to ask ....

Their explanation was that it was a schedule change. As many of you know I'm sure, AA 137 originates in DCA as a 738 and changes to a 77W at DFW. The DCA-DFW leg is now 8 (!) minutes later. The DFW-HKG times did not change at all, but apparently this was enough for my seat reservations to be "moved". (Curiously, my seats on the DCA-DFW leg...15A, my usual) stayed the same.

Has anybody else had an experience with this? Do I need to obsessively check this reservation every couple of days to make sure it doesn't happen again? Admittedly, I'm not trying to protect F seats like many on this forum, at least not this trip (have DCA-DFW-HKG-BKK flights booked in February in U with the spouse). But still, if I lost MCE seats, this itinerary would turn into a very looong experience.

Any advice for a newbie?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: LH HON
It's a common problem if your routing originates in DCA. Unfortunately there is no "fix" for this as far as I know. The only thing you can do is setup notifications if anything happens with your flight and download the AA iOS/Android app so you can check it quickly.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:54 pm

Yeah, thanks for that advice. The app is on my home screen.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
The one fix(save) I can think of is to set an expertflyer alert for your seat, which will alert you when it becomes open. In that case, you probably either lost your seat assignment or was reassigned to another seat
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Mileage run... hmm. Be aware if you're flying AA137 DCA-DFW-HKG your miles and points credited will be as if it were nonstop DCA-HKG, regardless of your requirement of changing aircraft, etc. Just sayin' so there are no surprises.

And yes, a schedule or even temporary equipment change can result in seat assignment changes.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
OK my first reaction was the same as JDiver's... You're on a mileage run but booked a direct one-stop flight?!?! The horror! Just so you know, that's more than 1100 miles you lost out on...
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Microwave
OK my response was the same as JDiver's... You're on a mileage run but booked a direct one-stop flight?!?! The horror!
Yeah, I've been burned by that very flight. DCA-HKG and DFW-HKG are similar distances, so you're essentially losing the DCA-DFW leg
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:14 am

well, I suppose that qualifies as a rookie mistake...

OTOH, according to my mileage tracking spreadsheet, based on the trips that have already been ticketed for 2015 (including DCA-HKG at the lower rate), I will be at 112,000+ EQMs for the year (with another couple trips to be booked). So the loss of 1100 or so won't affect my EXP attainment, just delay it by one ABQ-DCA trip.

That being said, and thanks for the heads-up, I got AA reservations to rebook me on AA175 DCA-DFW on the 8th so as to preserve the full mileage amount. They appeared willing to do this because of the schedule change and slightly tighter connection, modest as the change was.

Many thanks for your help!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by dksafdca
That being said, and thanks for the heads-up, I got AA reservations to rebook me on AA175 DCA-DFW on the 8th so as to preserve the full mileage amount. They appeared willing to do this because of the schedule change and slightly tighter connection, modest as the change was.
Good looking out!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by dksafdca
well, I suppose that qualifies as a rookie mistake...

Many thanks for your help!
Any schedule change..even one minute..allows you to reopen discussions with the airline about different flights with no fees involved.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lost MCE seats DFW-HKG

Yeah, but it's definitely a bit unusual that they're waiving any fees for getting him off of the "direct" flight!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by luckypierre
Any schedule change..even one minute..allows you to reopen discussions with the airline about different flights with no fees involved.
I'm not convinced that a 1 minute schedule change would allow for re-accomodation without fees...YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.