Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

Enhanced bin access (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld SapphireSM and oneworld EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Seat assignments are never guaranteed. If reseated, a refund is processed automatically at flight closeout when the system realizes you were not accommodated in the seat you paid for. There is nothing in writing the agent can give you; it's an automated process. You are not entitled to any compensation.

Originally Posted by MADPhil
On the CR9 where seat 4C is in coach it is a bulkhead seat and possibly more suitable for a wheelchair passenger.
^ Bulkhead passengers are the most likely to be bumped for disabled passengers. Not only can the airline move the original passenger, but it would be illegal not to accommodate the disabled passenger.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: free agent
I couldn't find answer or didn't search proper words. I have several upcoming AA flights (I'm EXP), but i would like to credit some of my flight toward Alaska Air (I'm MVP gold).

I was thinking that I should wait till T-24 or less to switch my AA FF # to AS so I can keep my reserved MCE seat, while credit my flights to AS. I would like to know if I'm doing right thing, and any datapoints will be much appreciated, thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: Show me the points!
AA Newbie - What to Expect in MCE (vs DL C+)

Hello All,

My girlfriend are I are taking advantage of the Etihad mistake fare and flying to Abu Dhabi with a 4 day stopover in Paris. For JFK-CDG we are on AA120 (757) and since I status matched to Air Berlin Gold (I'm a Diamond at Delta) we are in sitting in MCE. I'm just wondering, at a high level, what to expect with that product compared DL's Comfort Plus product?

Is it really just more leg room and priority boarding?

I know this is an easy question, so hopefully it's an easy and quick answer. Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: Show me the points!
<redacted>

On DL you get a snack basket, free movies/etc., etc. I already put what the web site led me to believe. Hence why I came here to verify.

<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 24, 2015 at 8:39 am Reason: Personal exchange / redacted previously deleted post content
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by nichojo
Is it really just more leg room and priority boarding?
Yes, just like it was on Delta for years. (Actually, I don't think Economy Comfort on Delta came with even priority boarding until Delta's latest rebranding, but I'm not sure since I've never sat in either Economy Comfort or MCE without status that offers higher boarding priority anyway.)

Originally Posted by nichojo
On DL you get a snack basket, free movies/etc., etc.
There are no movies of any kind in coach on an AA 757, so no need to worry about the cost. And neither AA nor DL charge for any movies on long haul flights when they do have movies. And both AA and DL offer full "meal" service to all customers on long haul flights. So I'm not sure there are actually any benefits to Economy Comfort over Economy Discomfort on Delta long haul other than the seat for a DL elite, despite what Delta's marketing tries to make you think. (But I haven't flown Delta since their rebranding.)

Last edited by ashill; Aug 22, 2015 at 12:16 pm
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Don't expect DL C+
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
MCE on AA is just extra legroom, that's all you should expect. On older AA aircraft, the extra legroom is a little bit more than what DL offers in C+. On newer and 'refurbished' aircraft, it's the same or less in some cases.

DL offers small amenity kits, complimentary alcohol including liquor, and additional recline on international aircraft. As of my most recent experience on AA in MCE, none of these existed.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, SPG Platinum, National Exec. Elite
Not true in all cases. AA 772 & 77w aircraft have one less seat per row in MCE and wider seat width than regular economy.

Originally Posted by cmd320
MCE on AA is just extra legroom, that's all you should expect. On older AA aircraft, the extra legroom is a little bit more than what DL offers in C+. On newer and 'refurbished' aircraft, it's the same or less in some cases.

DL offers small amenity kits, complimentary alcohol including liquor, and additional recline on international aircraft. As of my most recent experience on AA in MCE, none of these existed.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BeBrilliant
Not true in all cases. AA 772 & 77w aircraft have one less seat per row in MCE and wider seat width than regular economy.
Correct. The reply was originally in a thread specific to the 757 but found its way into this consolidated thread.

To be technical, MCE on the 77W and 77D is the with of a regular economy seat in a typical 777 configuration, AA just decided to make its main cabin seats even narrower than standard and cram in an extra row at 3-4-3.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jish
I am currently a gold and considering purchasing flights for the middle of next year.

If I pay for MCE seats as part of this booking can I call and get a refund if I get Platinum status before the flight date?
I have a similar question: trying to pick flights for mid year and want MCE on the LH. I am looking at doing a platinum challenge and will easily earn the 10K points in January on J seats already booked. If I pay for MCE now for my summer flights, will they refund the fee if I am Plat well before the flight? May try to upgrade on the outbound with miles if available -- still trying to figure all of this out.

I tried searching already but did not see the answer. -- Just several times where a similar question was asked. But I might have missed it.

Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:43 pm

Ok, I called AA today and asked these specific questions. For the sake of everyone else that may have this question, here are the answers I got:

If you pay for MCE when you book, and subsequently attain status before the flight (and thus are entitled to free MCE) they will NOT refund the fee.

If you pay for MCE when you book, and are wait listed for a miles+copay upgrade that finally clears, they will refund the fee.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
What is the cost of main cabin extra seats

miami to sfo. Have not flown american. This is economy plus?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
As AA and US continue operating as separate airlines through October 16, 2015, this belongs in the appropriate "pre-consolidation" forum, where there is an extensive thread we will merge this into to prevent information fragmentation and enhance search ability.

We genuinely appreciate when members take the time to read the top of page Announcement, which contains instructions about our interim fora structure, before starting a new thread on an existing subject.

We suggest searching before starting a new thread about an existing subject. This helps reduce information fragmentation and honors those generous members who have taken the time and effort to share their knowledge.

For a better understanding of how to use Search and Advanced Search, please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...ve-thread.html.

Thank you for helping keep FlyerTalk welcoming and easier to use.

/Moderator

Please read the wiki at the top of the page for further information.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 29, 2015 at 7:41 pm
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oskidunker
miami to sfo. Have not flown american. This is economy plus?
MCE is a Y+ product. The cost varies, though on a longer flight like that it will be something like $60-70 per flight per seat for a no-status customer.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:04 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this but since it's about MCE here goes.

On AA's website it says when you buy an MCE seat you get zone 1 boarding. When I checked in tonight it says zone 2 on my BP. While there's not much difference between zones 1 and 2 if I'm paying for a perk I'd like to get it especially on the leg where I'll be on a 788. Has anyone else ran into this? I'm going to ask at the counter when i drop my bag off and see if they can fix it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.