Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

“Enhanced bin access” (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

“Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.”
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld® RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Just a guess here - but I think the OP is confused about AAdvantage Platinum status which usually requires 50,000 flown miles, not merely "earned" miles - such as one gets from a credit card bonus.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by geraldrice
According to this link, platinum status starts at 50,000 miles. As I said, I will meet the minimum spending requirement and will therefore get 50,000 miles

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...false&from=Nav
Miles from your card are redeemable miles.

You need 50,000 Elite Qualifying ("butt in airplane seat") Miles for Platinum status. Check the thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-threads.html

AA doesn't offer Economy Plus, which on most airlines is a fourth class of service; AA offers Main Cabin Extra, which are economy seats with greater seat pitch and normal economy service.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

We’ll move this to the AA (pre-consolidation) forum, as AA and US currently operate separate fleets with many different rules.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 24, 2015 at 8:23 pm
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Citi Platinum
WOW, I did not realize there was a difference, 50,000 miles should be 50,000 miles regardless of how they are earned. This is a very deceptive practice on the part of AA, US and Citi Bank. This card is worthless, I should have gotten one from United or Delta instead, I did American because I live in San Angelo so they are really my only choice. They should be ashamed.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don't believe any of those airlines will grant you status through a credit card either. It's money spent on an airline or time in the seat, never through a minimum spend.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
WOW, I did not realize there was a difference, 50,000 miles should be 50,000 miles regardless of how they are earned. This is a very deceptive practice on the part of AA, US and Citi Bank. This card is worthless, I should have gotten one from United or Delta instead, I did American because I live in San Angelo so they are really my only choice. They should be ashamed.
Hey Gerald, while we're destroying your dreams, just as an FYI - United AND Delta all do the exact same thing. Every legacy airline differentiates between redeemable miles, and elite-status qualifying miles.

Sorry.

That being said - I have a similar question. I was demoted to Gold this year after a flat business year. I'm already at 35,000 miles this year, and will hit 50k by summer. I'm booking a trip right now for October, and I'd like MCE. If I pay for the seat now, and then get the ability to select it for free via my status before the flight, is there any refund opportunity?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In all honesty, didn't the idea that you could spend just $3000 on a credit card to earn AA Platinum status seem just a bit too easy? If that was the case, then indeed the card would be worthless b/c AA Platinum status would be worthless.

Last edited by bdemaria; Apr 26, 2015 at 7:23 am
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boogie711
That being said - I have a similar question. I was demoted to Gold this year after a flat business year. I'm already at 35,000 miles this year, and will hit 50k by summer. I'm booking a trip right now for October, and I'd like MCE. If I pay for the seat now, and then get the ability to select it for free via my status before the flight, is there any refund opportunity?
There are mixed reports on this. Since it is seemingly hit/miss (and not clearly addressed in the T&Cs - although mostly they list reasons they wouldn't refund the $$), I'd consider the following

#1) what is the route/time (e.g., daytime mid con v. TATL overnight)
#2) what is the price of the MCE
#3) how full is MCE right now
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Absolutely NOT deceptive in any way.

American Airlines clearly and consistently makes the entire thing quite clear - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-threads.html here and Elite Status on aa.com.

Though it sounds harsh to say it, IMO your failure to research status on AA and perform due diligence is no reason to blame the airline. I really wish you had stopped by here before you made an unduly hasty (and incorrect) decision. The Spanish "Dichos" "put your shoes on before you jump" comes to mind.

Your shortcut to Platinum status is to engage in the Platinum Challenge; you can earn it by flying as few as 6,667 (or as many as 20,000) miles; that's an extremely good deal. And now you'll have 50,000 AAdvantage miles - you can fly to Europe for as few as 20,000 miles one way, or fly in Business one way for 50,000 miles, on AA/US or partners such as 9W, AB, AY, IB, TN, etc. (You're not likely to find one way business travel for less than $1,800.)

You made a mistake; you can make the best of it, or be upset and blame the providers (though there's plenty of deserving blame for airlines and banks, this is not that time).
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:00 am
Suspended

its not worthless at all, just it doesnt offer what you thought it did. I assume you wont be paying the ann fee so by spending $3k (depending how you do so) you end up with 50k in miles that will get you 2 domestic r/t tkts or an off peak tkt to Europe for little or nothing, that alone is a good deal. However it wont get you E+ seat
Old May 7, 2015, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Plat With Two Separate Booking - MCE?

Hi,

I'm traveling with two kids on one RLN. We are of course in MCE. Wife is traveling on same flight but on different RLN.

Is it possible to get her into MCE as well? What's the best way? Twitter, Call, Email, Something else?

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
No idea what an "RLN" is (do you mean PNR?) but you should be able to do this by phone.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJC AA
No idea what an "RLN" is (do you mean PNR?) but you should be able to do this by phone.
RLN = Record Locator Number.

I thought that was a common term!
Old May 7, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by inpd
RLN = Record Locator Number.

I thought that was a common term!
Never seen it before, and I've been around here a while.
(plus, it's letters, not numbers)
Old May 7, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Yes as long as you are on the same flight it shouldn't be a problem. I've even been able to upgrade people with stickers who are not on the same PNR.
Old May 8, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Calling or speaking to a ticket agent at the airport are the only logical ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.