FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:31 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by geraldrice
WOW, I did not realize there was a difference, 50,000 miles should be 50,000 miles regardless of how they are earned. This is a very deceptive practice on the part of AA, US and Citi Bank. This card is worthless, I should have gotten one from United or Delta instead, I did American because I live in San Angelo so they are really my only choice. They should be ashamed.
Absolutely NOT deceptive in any way.

American Airlines clearly and consistently makes the entire thing quite clear - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-threads.html here and Elite Status on aa.com.

Though it sounds harsh to say it, IMO your failure to research status on AA and perform due diligence is no reason to blame the airline. I really wish you had stopped by here before you made an unduly hasty (and incorrect) decision. The Spanish "Dichos" "put your shoes on before you jump" comes to mind.

Your shortcut to Platinum status is to engage in the Platinum Challenge; you can earn it by flying as few as 6,667 (or as many as 20,000) miles; that's an extremely good deal. And now you'll have 50,000 AAdvantage miles - you can fly to Europe for as few as 20,000 miles one way, or fly in Business one way for 50,000 miles, on AA/US or partners such as 9W, AB, AY, IB, TN, etc. (You're not likely to find one way business travel for less than $1,800.)

You made a mistake; you can make the best of it, or be upset and blame the providers (though there's plenty of deserving blame for airlines and banks, this is not that time).