Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
[B]Through / direct with same flight number on multiple segments credit as single non-stop

Through or direct flights are those that use one flight number but may not be nonstop. Takeaway: all nonstop flights are direct; direct flights might not be non-stop. When speaking to agents and you want a nonstop flight, specify nonstop.

A direct (or through) flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which includes one or more stops at an intermediate point(s).
AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link):

For any flights that earn mileage credit based on a percentage of distance flown, the distance is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, the distance of each segment will be used. On single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, the nonstop origin-destination distance will be used and credit for a single elite qualifying segment will be given.
[*]AAdvantage flight mileage credit is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, you'll receive mileage credit for each segment of your trip; on single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, you'll receive the nonstop origin-destination mileage credit and credit for a single elite qualifying segment. On American Airlines and other AAdvantage airline participants, you'll receive AAdvantage mileage credit only for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed. American Airlines is the final authority on the methodology used to calculate mileage and the amount of flight credit for a particular flight or routing. American Airlines is the final authority on qualification for mileage credit and reserves the right to deny or revoke mileage credit at any time if American Airlines determines that mileage credit was improperly given.
If one takes a through / direct flight consisting of two or more segments operated as one flight number, the miles earned are as if the flight was a nonstop. E.g. AA111 FCO-ORD (772) and AA111 ORD-LAX (738) would render miles and segment credits as if you had flown nonstop FCO-LAX, even if you had a change of aircraft, terminals and gates in ORD.

It's not uncommon to have different aircraft carry out different segments, even different "gauges" (narrow and wide bodied) and different terminals. Normally, passengers flying both segments must disembark with cabin / hand baggage at the intermediate stops.

The exception is for round trips using same flight numbers, e.g. a mileage run using AA 123 SMF-DFW-SMF would credit separately and properly.

Seat selection will normally be for seats offered on all segments (as opposed to being able to select different seats on different segments.

Upgrades must normally clear on all segments to clear.

There are other peculiarities (affecting upgrade requests, Five Star Services, etc.) discussed in this thread. Booking through / direct flights can cause challenges one doesn’t experience on connections ting flights with different flight numbers or nonstop flights.
Print Wikipost

One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 10:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by longtimereaderfirstimeposter
Very disappointing to hear. When I originally booked the ticket I did not realize the stopover since it was marketed as just ATL-DFW. I was hoping to at least get the additional and segment for the pain.
Typical airline shenanigans we have to become aware of. It has been so for a long time, even if you must change aircraft or terminals; if it has the same flight number, it will count as if it were nonstop.

Not that long ago AA had a flight number that was SFO-DFW-ZRH (often arriving Terminal C, departing International terminal A in those days) or DFW-ORD-LHR (the latter's first segment on an MD-80!) and they counted only as nonstop SFO-ZRH and DFW-LHR respectively.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
US has been a big user (or abuser) of this practice. As long as both segments are mainline flights, US can and does often operate one segment on one aircraft and then operate the same segment on a second aircraft - utilizing the same flight number.

Common: FLL-PHL on a A319 and PHL-FRA on a A333. A319 arrives at C19 and A333 departs out of A21. Same flight number.

Slightly less common, but seen on US: DCA-PHX on a A319 and PHX-LAX on a A321. Same flight number.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by longtimereaderfirstimeposter
Very disappointing to hear. When I originally booked the ticket I did not realize the stopover since it was marketed as just ATL-DFW. I was hoping to at least get the additional and segment for the pain.
There is an upside (though not in your situation) to having "through" flights on AA/US. For people redeeming BA Avios, BA charges extra for each separate flight flown. ATL-CLT-DFW on a single flight number would cost 7,500 Avios in Coach; ATL-CLT connecting to a differently numbered CLT-DFW flight would cost 12,000 Avios (4,500 + 7,500).
Old May 18, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The main benefit seems to me that it will not be possible to miss the connection since it seems to be the same aeroplane the whole way

If delayed out of IAH, no need to worry at PHX - would work nicely for me over an extra 486 miles earning
Unfortunately not so. One of the worst nightmaees i have had was when my inbound direct flight was late and the next segment was on time. Trying to explain to the agent that i missed my connection for my direct fligt was straight out of Abbott and Costello. I only had my one boarding pass that showed RDU - BOS, no one in DCA could understand how I got there.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Thumbs down *CHECK ACCOUNT!* Incorrect posting of mileage on US through flights

Make sure everyone checks their AAdvantage account if they have flown on US on through flights (same flight number but with layover). I flew from SAN-PHX-ORD on US metal. These had different flight numbers.

On the return, the routing on US operated flight was ORD-PHX-SAN with the same flight number (AA452).

I checked my account balance and noticed that it posted properly on the outbound but on the return it posted as a direct flight.

OUTBOUND

RETURN

On the outbound, I accrued 3880 total miles, but the important part is that on the first leg I'm also guaranteed the minimum mileage guarantee (including EQMs [if I'm wrong about this please tell me]).

On the return, I was only credited 3446 total miles, but didn't get the guaranteed mileage bonus (including EQMs). Not a huge difference on this route BUT it could affect others with through flights with much greater differences.

I contacted AA customer service and he credited those miles back to my account but didn't seem too bothered when I mentioned that this should be brought up to IT. Please check your accounts if you were on any recent US through flights.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
They posted correctly. You didn't change planes and should only get credit for ORD-SAN not ORD-PHX-SAN.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:19 am

DELETED

Last edited by AA-Flyer-SAN; Aug 18, 2015 at 10:50 am Reason: I was wrong!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by skunker
They posted correctly. You didn't change planes and should only get credit for ORD-SAN not ORD-PHX-SAN.
US does not do it this way. The plane change is irrelevant. Some carriers do it the other way. But, this is US.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by skunker
Its really about having one flight number. If you have one flight number but still change planes, as is somewhat common for some international flights, you still only get the direct mileage.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
That is incorrect (and verified by customer service who is correcting this issue now).
Since when? A same number through flight has always credited at the O&D distance, not including the intermediate point.

Originally Posted by Often1
US does not do it this way. The plane change is irrelevant. Some carriers do it the other way. But, this is US.
This is the new American.

From the T&Cs
◾AAdvantage flight mileage credit is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, you'll receive mileage credit for each segment of your trip; on single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, you'll receive the nonstop origin-destination mileage credit and credit for a single elite qualifying segment.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/termsConditions.jsp

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 18, 2015 at 10:41 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
I'm not sure this is a bug. On AA for at least as long as I can remember, a domestic flight with a continuation internationally with the same flight number would be treated as a single flight. ie MCO-MIA-BCN on AA 112 would be treated for mileage purposes at MCO-BCN.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding your post...

I'm sure there's a master-thread around somewhere...
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:32 am

This may be how it worked on US, but AAdvantage credits through flights as nonstop. What you got is what you earned (in AAdvantage miles, per AAdvantage terms and conditions).

You may not like it, but Parker and Kirby have chosen AAdvantage going forward. You lucked out in getting those miles posted, but don't expect it going forward, and it's certainly not anything IT has to "fix"; that's how the system is designed, unfortunately for some of us who have been burned over the years.

Originally Posted by Often1
Wrong; AAdvantage is the Frequent Flyer Program of American Airlines.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 18, 2015 at 11:22 am
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
This may be how it worked on US, but AAdvantage credits through flights as nonstop. What you got is what you earned (in AAdvantage miles, per AAdvantage terms and conditions).

You may not like it, but Parker and Kirby have chosen AAdvantage going forward. You lucked out in getting those miles posted, but don't expect it going forward, and it's certainly not anything IT has to "fix"; that's how the system is designed, unfortunately for some of us who have been burned over the years.
Wow that's a real kick in the dink. I even had a supervisor on the phone and she credited the EQMs back as well. I'll just take it as a win for the little guy. Not a huge difference because of the connecting location but for those with a drastic change talk about getting screwed. I will know now never to book a through flight. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
Wow that's a real kick in the dink. I even had a supervisor on the phone and she credited the EQMs back as well. I'll just take it as a win for the little guy. Not a huge difference because of the connecting location but for those with a drastic change talk about getting screwed. I will know now never to book a through flight. Thanks for everyone's input.
Many of us learned that the hard way (e.g. AA50, was it, was scheduled as SFO-DFW-ZRH. there was always at least a change of aircraft - often even terminals and gauge - but it always credited as SFO-ZRH. That's 5,840 miles for flying 6,704 miles.

It's a small PITA to be sure you're not booking through flights, but it's often worth the small extra time and hassle.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver

No, US always worked the same way AA does on this matter. AAA-BBB-CCC on the same flight number only earns as if AAA-CCC was flown nonstop. The way OP's flights originally posted is correct per AAdvantage (as would have also been the case for DM).

OP seems to have gotten lucky with an either misinformed or generous agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.