Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
[B]Through / direct with same flight number on multiple segments credit as single non-stop

Through or direct flights are those that use one flight number but may not be nonstop. Takeaway: all nonstop flights are direct; direct flights might not be non-stop. When speaking to agents and you want a nonstop flight, specify nonstop.

A direct (or through) flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which includes one or more stops at an intermediate point(s).
AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link):

For any flights that earn mileage credit based on a percentage of distance flown, the distance is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, the distance of each segment will be used. On single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, the nonstop origin-destination distance will be used and credit for a single elite qualifying segment will be given.
[*]AAdvantage flight mileage credit is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, you'll receive mileage credit for each segment of your trip; on single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, you'll receive the nonstop origin-destination mileage credit and credit for a single elite qualifying segment. On American Airlines and other AAdvantage airline participants, you'll receive AAdvantage mileage credit only for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed. American Airlines is the final authority on the methodology used to calculate mileage and the amount of flight credit for a particular flight or routing. American Airlines is the final authority on qualification for mileage credit and reserves the right to deny or revoke mileage credit at any time if American Airlines determines that mileage credit was improperly given.
If one takes a through / direct flight consisting of two or more segments operated as one flight number, the miles earned are as if the flight was a nonstop. E.g. AA111 FCO-ORD (772) and AA111 ORD-LAX (738) would render miles and segment credits as if you had flown nonstop FCO-LAX, even if you had a change of aircraft, terminals and gates in ORD.

It's not uncommon to have different aircraft carry out different segments, even different "gauges" (narrow and wide bodied) and different terminals. Normally, passengers flying both segments must disembark with cabin / hand baggage at the intermediate stops.

The exception is for round trips using same flight numbers, e.g. a mileage run using AA 123 SMF-DFW-SMF would credit separately and properly.

Seat selection will normally be for seats offered on all segments (as opposed to being able to select different seats on different segments.

Upgrades must normally clear on all segments to clear.

There are other peculiarities (affecting upgrade requests, Five Star Services, etc.) discussed in this thread. Booking through / direct flights can cause challenges one doesn’t experience on connections ting flights with different flight numbers or nonstop flights.
Print Wikipost

One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Paul1976NJ
I have never understood why airlines do this. What is the point? Can someone help me understand what benefit AA receives by doing this? Next week I am on AA 663 (PHL-DFW-LAS) and lose a segment and a couple hundred miles because of it, although it was by far the cheapest fare (plus my upgrade already came in for both segments at T-100) so I'm not complaining. Well, maybe just a little bit, because I fail to see the point.
Just speculation, but it could just be a marketing tactic - makes it look like more destinations from XYZ. If you look on the terminal monitors you will see all of these "direct" destinations.

I suppose that even if you have to change planes (which seems counter to the concept), it's still a little better than a non-direct connection; the "connection" will be shorter than a normal connection, and if you arrive late there's much less risk that you would miss the connection.

Never done one of these on AA so this is all speculation, but it's what I have experienced on some other airlines.
Old May 26, 2012, 5:13 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by hbtr
Just speculation, but it could just be a marketing tactic - makes it look like more destinations from XYZ. If you look on the terminal monitors you will see all of these "direct" destinations.

I suppose that even if you have to change planes (which seems counter to the concept), it's still a little better than a non-direct connection; the "connection" will be shorter than a normal connection, and if you arrive late there's much less risk that you would miss the connection.

Never done one of these on AA so this is all speculation, but it's what I have experienced on some other airlines.
Believe DL has (or had) a LHR-DTW-LAX flight with a single flight number that was an A330 for the first segment, and an A320 for the second (or some other substantial change such as that). If you paid to be in J, that's a real downgrade in aircraft.

Many stories of NW having 1-stop single flight-number flights through DTW that had change in gates (and even aircraft). Seem to remember there were some FL->CA flights that would have their mileage almost halved, by not having a "true" connection.
Old May 26, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I have never understood why airlines do this. What is the point? Can someone help me understand what benefit AA receives by doing this? Next week I am on AA 663 (PHL-DFW-LAS) and lose a segment and a couple hundred miles because of it, although it was by far the cheapest fare (plus my upgrade already came in for both segments at T-100) so I'm not complaining. Well, maybe just a little bit, because I fail to see the point.
I would say it's nothing more than marketing. SFO is a great example of this. Right on the departure board, they make it seem as if they have nonstop flights to DCA, BOS, and BZE.

However, that does not mean that it's one plane. Your direct flight can have multiple aircraft and flight crow, and it is possible you can miss your "connection" even if you were on a direct flight.

Others here have wrote about the disadvantages of direct flights (less miles). The only advantage I see is that for taxes, it is only collected as one segment, so you might save around $11.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Prem Exec, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
If you don't want it to one flight number...

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but AA allows you to split up the flights so that you don't have to sit in the same seat and/or your upgrade has a better chance of clearing (either for free or otherwise).

AA has split the flights and reissued the ticket for me a couple times if the original booking inventory is available on both flight segments. The reissued ticket will allow you to select seats and submit upgrade requests for each segment of the flight.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

On some (and maybe all) computerized reservation systems, "direct" flights show up higher on the display than connecting flights. The thinking is that this will result in more bookings of the "direct" flight.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by traderde
I wanted to know, because Avios offers lower mileage rewards for direct flights.
An up-to-date way of finding direct flight destinations -- a slow interface, but it saves you from having to sort through a list -- is to use the Where We Fly map on AA.com. You'll be able to find all AA airports near you, plus the non-stop and direct routes from those airports, and even sort them by total distance so you'll know how many Avios you'll need.

Originally Posted by hbtr
As I remember it, GDSes display non-stop routings first, then direct routings, and finally connecting routings, so a direct routing would have a marketing advantage over usual connections.

In the codeshare era, an airline only operates 10-15% of the flights in its schedule (e.g., flights 1-999, with flights 1000-2999 on regionals and 3000-8999 on partners). An airline squeezed for flight numbers might seek to economize by assigning multiple flights the same flight number. The UACO merger has resulted in some three-segment direct flights, and plenty of "direct" regional flights between two utterly random points where there could not possibly be any marketing advantage (e.g., Del Rio to Waco, Guanajuato to Omaha, Casper to Moline). But hey, it's all in the service of a fiction that they "fly" from LHR to 40+ cities.

Last edited by paytonc; Jun 19, 2012 at 12:47 pm
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Even if you book it as two-segments via Multi-city, AA may merge it into one direct flight. The sure-fire way to break it is to book two separate tickets.
But if they are in one booking but not combined, does one then get the miles for each segment?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by paytonc
An up-to-date way of finding direct flight destinations -- a slow interface, but it saves you from having to sort through a list -- is to use the Where We Fly map on AA.com. You'll be able to find all AA airports near you, plus the non-stop and direct routes from those airports, and even sort them by total distance so you'll know how many Avios you'll need.
An important caveat about this: a "direct" flight from A-B-C may return as C-B-D, and D may be nowhere near A. When using the flight map, be sure to check destinations from both the outbound and return airports.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA MP( 1k; 1MM); Hyatt Globalist
In the latest AA schedule (Dec 7 2012), most "DIRECT/1-stop" flights are gone. All are broken into each segment. I was looking at some midwest flights whihc used to be awesome redemptions for Avios at 4500 a piece. No MORE
Are there any one world partners that would market any AA codeshares as direct fllights?
I think this ship has sailed.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by HJsimpson
In the latest AA schedule (Dec 7 2012), most "DIRECT/1-stop" flights are gone. All are broken into each segment. I was looking at some midwest flights whihc used to be awesome redemptions for Avios at 4500 a piece. No MORE
Are there any one world partners that would market any AA codeshares as direct fllights?
I doubt that you can use Avios to book flights operated by AA as a codeshare with a partner's flight number.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
this looks fun...

Aa922: Mia => vvi => vvi

(it keeps changing my post to sentence case...sorry)
Old Jan 10, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Anyone else remember back in the 90's when the printed AA schedule had that whole bank of Flight No. 2XXX and they were all just marketing flights? They were all single flight number flights that had a connection and equip. change. For example, AA27XX SFO-GLA was really AAXXX SFO-ORD and AA52 ORD-GLA. Those had to have been created for some travel agent d/b to 'virtually' increase AA's available non-stops.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
Aa922: Mia => vvi => vvi

(it keeps changing my post to sentence case...sorry)
Try again.
Just have one lower case letter and the rest should be fine.
FT does that automatically TO AVOID PEOPLE POSTING LIKE THIS.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
Anyone else remember back in the 90's when the printed AA schedule had that whole bank of Flight No. 2XXX and they were all just marketing flights? They were all single flight number flights that had a connection and equip. change. For example, AA27XX SFO-GLA was really AAXXX SFO-ORD and AA52 ORD-GLA. Those had to have been created for some travel agent d/b to 'virtually' increase AA's available non-stops.
Sure, back in the olden days, when placement on the travel agents' gds screens was key, one-stop direct flights would show up higher on the screen than connections. They definitely wanted to be on the first page and not several screens away. For a while, DFW-LHR was flight 86 but stopped at ORD as DFW was not an allowable LHR gateway under Bermuda II.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Originally Posted by HJsimpson
Yep, I just noticed this. I wonder what made them do it. Complaints from folks about getting fewer miles than flown? BA trying to zap more Avios from people?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.