Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
[B]Through / direct with same flight number on multiple segments credit as single non-stop

Through or direct flights are those that use one flight number but may not be nonstop. Takeaway: all nonstop flights are direct; direct flights might not be non-stop. When speaking to agents and you want a nonstop flight, specify nonstop.

A direct (or through) flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which includes one or more stops at an intermediate point(s).
AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link):

For any flights that earn mileage credit based on a percentage of distance flown, the distance is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, the distance of each segment will be used. On single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, the nonstop origin-destination distance will be used and credit for a single elite qualifying segment will be given.
[*]AAdvantage flight mileage credit is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, you'll receive mileage credit for each segment of your trip; on single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, you'll receive the nonstop origin-destination mileage credit and credit for a single elite qualifying segment. On American Airlines and other AAdvantage airline participants, you'll receive AAdvantage mileage credit only for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed. American Airlines is the final authority on the methodology used to calculate mileage and the amount of flight credit for a particular flight or routing. American Airlines is the final authority on qualification for mileage credit and reserves the right to deny or revoke mileage credit at any time if American Airlines determines that mileage credit was improperly given.
If one takes a through / direct flight consisting of two or more segments operated as one flight number, the miles earned are as if the flight was a nonstop. E.g. AA111 FCO-ORD (772) and AA111 ORD-LAX (738) would render miles and segment credits as if you had flown nonstop FCO-LAX, even if you had a change of aircraft, terminals and gates in ORD.

It's not uncommon to have different aircraft carry out different segments, even different "gauges" (narrow and wide bodied) and different terminals. Normally, passengers flying both segments must disembark with cabin / hand baggage at the intermediate stops.

The exception is for round trips using same flight numbers, e.g. a mileage run using AA 123 SMF-DFW-SMF would credit separately and properly.

Seat selection will normally be for seats offered on all segments (as opposed to being able to select different seats on different segments.

Upgrades must normally clear on all segments to clear.

There are other peculiarities (affecting upgrade requests, Five Star Services, etc.) discussed in this thread. Booking through / direct flights can cause challenges one doesn’t experience on connections ting flights with different flight numbers or nonstop flights.
Print Wikipost

One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This means savings for AA in terms of 500 mile upgrade instruments, SWUs, etc. And less aggro for pax who would get upset at AA 48 (iirc) SFO-DFW-ZRH, which normally necessitated a change of aircraft (and usually terminals) at DFW (but of course miles / points for SFO-ZRH). Similar for DFW-ORD-LHR in those days, which necessitated a change of gauge.

The right hand giveth, the left taketh away... and AA is looking at how they can be more benefit-retentive in their future.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 6, 2013 at 10:40 am Reason: typoi
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Unable to select seats, one-stop thru flight

Hi all,

A GLD here, trying to book a one-way LAX-DFW-PHL on April 2. It's a one-stop flight (so one flight number... 1776 incidentally).

I go through the motions, but it's not letting select the seats for the flights. Tried with/without upgrade request, didn't work. Other itins with 2 separate flight numbers give me the seat selection.

Any ideas?

I'm probably going to book anyway and hope Web Services or "Gold Desk" can help.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The LAX-DFW just had a flight number change from 2400 to 1776. It wasn't a direct flight a few weeks ago.
I have 2 trips booked on that flight and they rebooked it for me when it changed. I have had a difficult time regarding upgrade requests.
I have gotten conflicting info from AA. I would try try web services first. They can contact CS while they have you on the phone.
Try holding it first and then they can finalize it for you.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:25 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
That probably means that there isn't a single seat that's available all the way through. I believe you have to assign yourself the same seat LAX-PHL on a through flight like this if doing it online; you can't choose one seat LAX-DFW and a different one DFW-PHL (possibly even if there's an equipment change?). One of the many pains in the a** of 'direct' flights like this.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ashill
That probably means that there isn't a single seat that's available all the way through. I believe you have to assign yourself the same seat LAX-PHL on a through flight like this if doing it online; you can't choose one seat LAX-DFW and a different one DFW-PHL (possibly even if there's an equipment change?). One of the many pains in the a** of 'direct' flights like this.
Just check the seat maps, and there's plenty of overlap on both segments (in fact, the flights are wide open).
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by LAXative
Just check the seat maps, and there's plenty of overlap on both segments (in fact, the flights are wide open).
Did you report this to Web Services?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JY1024
Merged with recent thread on the same topic. /Moderator
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
way back, i could get the flights split in order to use stickers.....call & ask....
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mvoight
Did you report this to Web Services?
I'm definitely going to send in a comment. I ended up booking the itin anyway because I needed those flights. After completing the transaction, I went back to try to select my seats. It THEN allowed me to pick a seat, but it was effective for both flights (i.e., can't pick different seats for each leg). Slightly annoying for me, b/c I'm an aisle guy except when sleeping, when I want the window (1776 is a red-eye LAX-DFW, then early AM DFW-PHL).

And of course, sticker upgrades are only 5 instead of 6, with the LAX-DFW red-eye looking like the more restrictive inventory... if it doesn't go though, I'll just have a GA split my itin to request the upgrade on the DFW-PHL segment, which is wide open in front. Rolling the dice, but oh well.... MCE makes it a better bet.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Splitting direct flights

I was told from CS that they are not supposed to do this. That it is also difficult to do. I was not given a reason.
Old May 11, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by clacko
way back, i could get the flights split in order to use stickers.....call & ask....
Originally Posted by LAXative
... if it doesn't go though, I'll just have a GA split my itin to request the upgrade on the DFW-PHL segment, which is wide open in front.
Originally Posted by Plato1
I was told from CS that they are not supposed to do this. That it is also difficult to do. I was not given a reason.
My situation is a SFO-LAX-AUS next week, one flight number (2246), EXP upgrade window opens later today, SFO-LAX is already sold out in F, LAX-AUS has plenty of open F seats. But since the short segment has no availability the upgrade on the long segment is impossible. Called today to see if they can somehow split the segments. Ultimate answer back was yes, but only by putting me on an earlier SFO-LAX (different flight number) and giving me a nearly 4 hour layover in LAX (ugh). So...

Is it actually possible to arrange the reservation/ticket in such a way that a direct flight is treated as two separate segments? Should I call back and try another agent?

Could the agent rebook me the earlier SFO-LAX as described above, then turn around and put me back on the original SFO-LAX and sort of trick the system into what I want?

Can a GA in SFO do the split on the day of the flight (assuming all the LAX-AUS upgrades haven't been taken by then)?

FWIW this was originally booked as two separate flight numbers but a schedule change created the direct flight.
Old May 11, 2013, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Plato1
I have seen it done by TAs too (whether or not they can get a debit memo is another thing for doing this...)
Old May 11, 2013, 9:12 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A525 Safari/8536.25)

Due to the US/AA merger this is going to be more of an issue since there is a limited number of flight number ranges available to support the combined operation. There are going to be a lot more thru numbers.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AC 100K
Having a vested interest in this as lately I've been doing a lot of AUSPITAUS. On every one of the through flights, I've had to either hold and have them separate the flights in advance (to get seats assigned) which costs on average $10 or so in extra fare, or fly the whole itinerary, then call AA and have AACS split them after the fact (I'll only do it after the fact if I've gotten an MCE seat since they won't let you change seats on the same plane if a through flight). My 100th segment is coming up for the year, so I'm not going to be doing this as much, but I too have been given the "I'll get in trouble with my supervisor for this" from the rep.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Anyone know about meal options in first for these types of situations?

For example, I'm booked SFO-DFW-DCA on AA 1432. 1:15P SFO- 6:50P DFW. Then 7:40 DFW- 11:25DCA.

All the information I can find says that there is lunch served on the first portion, but no info about the second leg. I'd assume it is a dinner flight, but then again we all know what assumption gets you...

Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.