FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)
Old May 11, 2013, 7:30 am
Stripe

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by clacko
way back, i could get the flights split in order to use stickers.....call & ask....
Originally Posted by LAXative
... if it doesn't go though, I'll just have a GA split my itin to request the upgrade on the DFW-PHL segment, which is wide open in front.
Originally Posted by Plato1
I was told from CS that they are not supposed to do this. That it is also difficult to do. I was not given a reason.
My situation is a SFO-LAX-AUS next week, one flight number (2246), EXP upgrade window opens later today, SFO-LAX is already sold out in F, LAX-AUS has plenty of open F seats. But since the short segment has no availability the upgrade on the long segment is impossible. Called today to see if they can somehow split the segments. Ultimate answer back was yes, but only by putting me on an earlier SFO-LAX (different flight number) and giving me a nearly 4 hour layover in LAX (ugh). So...

Is it actually possible to arrange the reservation/ticket in such a way that a direct flight is treated as two separate segments? Should I call back and try another agent?

Could the agent rebook me the earlier SFO-LAX as described above, then turn around and put me back on the original SFO-LAX and sort of trick the system into what I want?

Can a GA in SFO do the split on the day of the flight (assuming all the LAX-AUS upgrades haven't been taken by then)?

FWIW this was originally booked as two separate flight numbers but a schedule change created the direct flight.