Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
[B]Through / direct with same flight number on multiple segments credit as single non-stop

Through or direct flights are those that use one flight number but may not be nonstop. Takeaway: all nonstop flights are direct; direct flights might not be non-stop. When speaking to agents and you want a nonstop flight, specify nonstop.

A direct (or through) flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which includes one or more stops at an intermediate point(s).
AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link):

For any flights that earn mileage credit based on a percentage of distance flown, the distance is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, the distance of each segment will be used. On single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, the nonstop origin-destination distance will be used and credit for a single elite qualifying segment will be given.
[*]AAdvantage flight mileage credit is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, you'll receive mileage credit for each segment of your trip; on single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, you'll receive the nonstop origin-destination mileage credit and credit for a single elite qualifying segment. On American Airlines and other AAdvantage airline participants, you'll receive AAdvantage mileage credit only for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed. American Airlines is the final authority on the methodology used to calculate mileage and the amount of flight credit for a particular flight or routing. American Airlines is the final authority on qualification for mileage credit and reserves the right to deny or revoke mileage credit at any time if American Airlines determines that mileage credit was improperly given.
If one takes a through / direct flight consisting of two or more segments operated as one flight number, the miles earned are as if the flight was a nonstop. E.g. AA111 FCO-ORD (772) and AA111 ORD-LAX (738) would render miles and segment credits as if you had flown nonstop FCO-LAX, even if you had a change of aircraft, terminals and gates in ORD.

It's not uncommon to have different aircraft carry out different segments, even different "gauges" (narrow and wide bodied) and different terminals. Normally, passengers flying both segments must disembark with cabin / hand baggage at the intermediate stops.

The exception is for round trips using same flight numbers, e.g. a mileage run using AA 123 SMF-DFW-SMF would credit separately and properly.

Seat selection will normally be for seats offered on all segments (as opposed to being able to select different seats on different segments.

Upgrades must normally clear on all segments to clear.

There are other peculiarities (affecting upgrade requests, Five Star Services, etc.) discussed in this thread. Booking through / direct flights can cause challenges one doesn’t experience on connections ting flights with different flight numbers or nonstop flights.
Print Wikipost

One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 310mrl
Anyone know about meal options in first for these types of situations?

For example, I'm booked SFO-DFW-DCA on AA 1432. 1:15P SFO- 6:50P DFW. Then 7:40 DFW- 11:25DCA.

All the information I can find says that there is lunch served on the first portion, but no info about the second leg. I'd assume it is a dinner flight, but then again we all know what assumption gets you...

Thoughts?
Did you try making a dummy booking on aa.com for 1432 DFW-DCA without the first leg?

Expert Flyer says it's lunch on the first leg and dinner on the second.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Did you try making a dummy booking on aa.com for 1432 DFW-DCA without the first leg?

Expert Flyer says it's lunch on the first leg and dinner on the second.
Stupid me - I just did that and now it shows up.

Question - if I do not clear the first portion of the upgrade, is there a possibility I can clear the second leg? For example, since it is one flight number, SFO-DFW-DCA, and there are plenty of openings on the DFW-DCA leg, but not the SFO-DFW, would it be possible to get an upgrade on the second leg if the first does not clear? I'm assuming I'd have to see a GA once in DFW.

Since it asks for 5 segments instead of individual 3 and 3, this is confusing.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by 310mrl
Question - if I do not clear the first portion of the upgrade, is there a possibility I can clear the second leg? For example, since it is one flight number, SFO-DFW-DCA, and there are plenty of openings on the DFW-DCA leg, but not the SFO-DFW, would it be possible to get an upgrade on the second leg if the first does not clear? I'm assuming I'd have to see a GA once in DFW.

Since it asks for 5 segments instead of individual 3 and 3, this is confusing.
If you do not clear the first portion of the upgrade you could clear the second half after you land at DFW. But not before. In advance of the gate agent clearing upgrades, either you clear both segments, or none.

If you do clear both you will have saved yourself a sticker, as the sticker mileage is based on the distance between SFO and DCA. However, since the two segments are themselves tough upgrades, the single flight number significantly decreases your chances of upgrading at all. And you will get miles based on SFO-DCA, not for the segments separately.

DL used to do this much more often than they do now, and AA almost never did. Now they seem to have reversed. It stinks.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: AA LT GLD, AS 75K, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone had any experience with immediate turns for the AALAX promo? The PIT, IND, CMH, RDU, and one of two EUG flights have the same inbound and outbound flight numbers. I'd like to think IT wouldn't be dumb enough to consider these a "direct flight" and give you zero miles on the round trip...
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This new change has been discussed expensively in another thread; it is not likely you will get miles LAX-LAX=0.

Originally Posted by FightOnFlyer
Has anyone had any experience with immediate turns for the AALAX promo? The PIT, IND, CMH, RDU, and one of two EUG flights have the same inbound and outbound flight numbers. I'd like to think IT wouldn't be dumb enough to consider these a "direct flight" and give you zero miles on the round trip...
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT
FYI: When I did not get upgraded on the entire one way flight SFO-DFW-DCA (5 stickers) I asked for my name to be readded to the list once we got to DFW and I cleared the second half DFW-DCA easily (3 stickers).

In fact, 3 upgrades cleared and there was an empty seat in 3B from DFW-DCA.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:31 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by FightOnFlyer
You won't be able to book those flights as Direct LAX-LAX flights, even if you try:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.2.4/Diamond - Operational Info: AA 1329/01 Nov 2013]
Code:
                 Planned Flight Info
Segment          Departure  Arrival    Duration
-------          ---------  ---------  --------
LAX-RDU          08:05/Fri  16:00/Fri  04:55
RDU-LAX          16:50/Fri  19:20/Fri  05:30

Segment          Flight Note
-------          -----------------------------------------
LAX-LAX          A/ NO LOCAL TRAFFIC
LAX-RDU          MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
RDU-LAX          MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
LAX-RDU          DEPARTS TERMINAL 4
RDU-LAX          DEPARTS TERMINAL 2
LAX-RDU          ARRIVES TERMINAL 2
RDU-LAX          ARRIVES TERMINAL 4
LAX-RDU          MCT FLIGHT TRACKING D/D
LAX-LAX          MCT FLIGHT TRACKING D/D
RDU-LAX          MCT FLIGHT TRACKING D/D
LAX-RDU          ON-TIME PERF 6JUL13
RDU-LAX          ON-TIME PERF 8JUL13
                 ENTIRE FLT-   1/ MOVIE
                 ENTIRE FLT-  12/ IN-SEAT POWER SOURCE
                 ENTIRE FLT-   4/ AUDIO PROGRAMMING
                 ENTIRE FLT- SECURED FLIGHT
                 ENTIRE FLT-  ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
LAX-RDU          065/006/N/000/ JUL13
RDU-LAX          087/006/N/003/ JUL13
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by KVS
You won't be able to book those flights as Direct LAX-LAX flights, even if you try
I don't think anyone wants to book these as a local flight, I think people want to book the as mileage runs and get credit for both the outbound and return.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:16 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Microwave
I don't think anyone wants to book these as a local flight, I think people want to book the as mileage runs and get credit for both the outbound and return.
Mileage credit is based on ticketed flight coupons, so the single flight number will have no impact (unless booked as a direct flight, which is not possible).
Old Aug 24, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Question about mileage credit

With the much higher fares this year it is a struggle to maintain status. Every few hundred miles count. Hence this question:

Wife (alsoEXP) flew DTW-DFW-PDX and earned correct number of miles.

Returned PDX-DFW-DTW and only awarded 1953 miles, the direct mileage between PDX and DTW. EVEN THOUGH the flight was PDX-DFW, change of planes, then DFW-DTW. Apparently because the flight number was the same on the 2 segments. Really? And if I disagree, exactly how do I go about contacting them by email?

Thanks
Old Aug 24, 2013, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by NWAOldtimer
Returned PDX-DFW-DTW and only awarded 1953 miles, the direct mileage between PDX and DTW. EVEN THOUGH the flight was PDX-DFW, change of planes, then DFW-DTW. Apparently because the flight number was the same on the 2 segments. Really? And if I disagree, exactly how do I go about contacting them by email?
Disagree all you like, if its the same flight #, its calculated as if a non stop flight.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Funny, thought that only applied to the 500-mile minimum on a second segment if on the same number

Ah, well
Old Aug 24, 2013, 4:36 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with the "through/direct flight" thread. Thanks for your understanding. /Moderator
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Does anyone know what happens if you book two segments with different numbers, say 288 PVG-ORD and 1296 ORD-BOS, upgrade them into C/A with a SWU and then stand by from A on 1296 to A on the ORD-BOS 288 segment? Will AA's system give me credit for both 288 segments, merge them after the fact or implode and spew out gibberish?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Believe DL has (or had) a LHR-DTW-LAX flight with a single flight number that was an A330 for the first segment, and an A320 for the second (or some other substantial change such as that). If you paid to be in J, that's a real downgrade in aircraft.

Many stories of NW having 1-stop single flight-number flights through DTW that had change in gates (and even aircraft). Seem to remember there were some FL->CA flights that would have their mileage almost halved, by not having a "true" connection.
UA is notorious for scamming of mileage this way, either with transcons connecting to overseas flights with the same flight numbers (and thus point to point vs actual segment by segment mileage) as well as many of its NRT connections onward to Asian cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.