Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
[B]Through / direct with same flight number on multiple segments credit as single non-stop

Through or direct flights are those that use one flight number but may not be nonstop. Takeaway: all nonstop flights are direct; direct flights might not be non-stop. When speaking to agents and you want a nonstop flight, specify nonstop.

A direct (or through) flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which includes one or more stops at an intermediate point(s).
AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link):

For any flights that earn mileage credit based on a percentage of distance flown, the distance is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, the distance of each segment will be used. On single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, the nonstop origin-destination distance will be used and credit for a single elite qualifying segment will be given.
[*]AAdvantage flight mileage credit is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, you'll receive mileage credit for each segment of your trip; on single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, you'll receive the nonstop origin-destination mileage credit and credit for a single elite qualifying segment. On American Airlines and other AAdvantage airline participants, you'll receive AAdvantage mileage credit only for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed. American Airlines is the final authority on the methodology used to calculate mileage and the amount of flight credit for a particular flight or routing. American Airlines is the final authority on qualification for mileage credit and reserves the right to deny or revoke mileage credit at any time if American Airlines determines that mileage credit was improperly given.
If one takes a through / direct flight consisting of two or more segments operated as one flight number, the miles earned are as if the flight was a nonstop. E.g. AA111 FCO-ORD (772) and AA111 ORD-LAX (738) would render miles and segment credits as if you had flown nonstop FCO-LAX, even if you had a change of aircraft, terminals and gates in ORD.

It's not uncommon to have different aircraft carry out different segments, even different "gauges" (narrow and wide bodied) and different terminals. Normally, passengers flying both segments must disembark with cabin / hand baggage at the intermediate stops.

The exception is for round trips using same flight numbers, e.g. a mileage run using AA 123 SMF-DFW-SMF would credit separately and properly.

Seat selection will normally be for seats offered on all segments (as opposed to being able to select different seats on different segments.

Upgrades must normally clear on all segments to clear.

There are other peculiarities (affecting upgrade requests, Five Star Services, etc.) discussed in this thread. Booking through / direct flights can cause challenges one doesn’t experience on connections ting flights with different flight numbers or nonstop flights.
Print Wikipost

One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Microwave
If the miles are key, I can think of three realistic options...

1) Route PEK-ORD instead of PEK-DFW, as that flight gets in much earlier in the day and would allow for more onward connections. You could even do PEK-ORD-DFW-LGA if the fare's routing rules permit it (or PEK-ORD-MIA-LGA, or however else you want to get creative).
2) Route PEK-DFW-PHL and take the train home. Not even close to ideal, I know...
3) Keep the routing the same and overnight in DFW (again, assuming the fare rules allow the overnight to remain a connection).

You could also hope for a flight number change later, if your flights are a ways in the future... that's just a hope, but AA do monkey with flight numbers quite a bit these days.
thx, good ideas...none quite work, but i have another question for the experts. if i book as 4 segments instead of 2 "through" flights, will that work? ie, i put into the booking site multi city, and pick 4 separate segments.

i can see it on 'hold' right now, and it apperas to all be separate segments. i put one on hold earlier booking the normal way, and it showed 2 segments (in the section where it shows upgrades requested). this way, i can see separate segments.

thoughts on if this will work?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
If you book and fly PEK-DFW-LGA, and you get off of PEK-DFW and connect to DFW-LGA the same day, it'll credit as PEK-LGA. The only conceivable way of splitting it would be to book two tickets, one PEK-DFW then another ticket for DFW-LGA. I've never tried this in the wild, but presumably this should cause them to credit as two separate flights. Beyond that, it doesn't matter how you finagle the online booking system, they'll be read as a through flight when you fly them and they get credited.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
6,971 vs 6,827 miles; that's a deal breaker?

Regardless, this has been an AA rule for many years.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: QR Platinum, IHG Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by JDiver
6,971 vs 6,827 miles; that's a deal breaker?

Regardless, this has been an AA rule for many years.
I believe PEK-LGA is 6827 and PEK-DFW-LGA is 8359. PEK-DFW alone is 6971.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
Crap! How'd I not know about this? So my 137 (LGA/DFW/HKG) is shorting me about 2.7K EQM?

So, basically I want to swap to the earlier flight to get the extra miles?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by james84
I believe PEK-LGA is 6827 and PEK-DFW-LGA is 8359. PEK-DFW alone is 6971.
Thanks for the correction.

Originally Posted by dp4m
Crap! How'd I not know about this? So my 137 (LGA/DFW/HKG) is shorting me about 2.7K EQM?

So, basically I want to swap to the earlier flight to get the extra miles?
You need to have discrete flight numbers, so you'd most likely need a change.

I've got the same issue: my FCO-CLT-SMF was changed to FCO-ORD-LAX on AA 111, connecting to SMF. I'd need discrete flight numbers for those two AA 111 sectors to earn full miles and segment credit.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:05 pm

AA 137 LGA-DFW-HKG mileage

hi all, just wondering if someone can shed light on how i will earn mileage on AA 137 from LGA-HKG. On my AA itinerary its listed as a direct LGA-HKG flight, but I know its two segments with a flight change at DFW. Will I earn LGA-DFW (1389 miles) and DFW-HKG (8100ish) or will I only earn LGA-HKG (8000ish) thanks
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
You will get mileage as if you flew non-stop LGA-HKG. That's impossible to do of course, but that's how they credit direct flights. Ever since they started numbering one of the early morning LGA-DFW flights as 137 I make sure to wind up on a different LGA-DFW (usually 263) to avoid the mileage loss.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Direct, which is no change of flight number, usually are measured point to point, so LGA HKG.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
IIRC, you'll only earn the LGA-HKG direct mileage as long as your LGA-DFW flight is AA137.

To avoid this, you could do a same-day standby or confirmed flight change to another LGA-DFW flight with a different flight number within 24 hours of departure (assuming you have status or you're willing to pay). Also, you can monitor to see if the flight time changes and ask them to switch you to a different flight for free.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by babypuwet
hi all, just wondering if someone can shed light on how i will earn mileage on AA 137 from LGA-HKG. On my AA itinerary its listed as a direct LGA-HKG flight, but I know its two segments with a flight change at DFW. Will I earn LGA-DFW (1389 miles) and DFW-HKG (8100ish) or will I only earn LGA-HKG (8000ish) thanks
We've merged your question into the existing thread. /Moderator

You will earn miles as if flying LGA-HKG nonstop and one segment credit.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Multi-leg flight #521 being treated as one segment

Something strange happened recently, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. The TL;DR is watch out when flying multiple connecting segments that use the same AA521 flight identifier. Has anyone had trouble collecting miles on multi-city itineraries that reuse the same flight number?

I recently took AA521 from DEN->PHX->SEA. I thought it was a bit odd that the same flight number was used for multiple segments (there are actually a few more segments you can take with AA521!) Twas a mostly enjoyable flight in F, although we did have one of our bags offloaded in PHX, which was a bit annoying.

A few days later I went to review my account history and was surprised to see miles posting for DEN->SEA, with about 33% less miles than expected from the longer 2-leg itinerary. To complicate matters, I'm crediting the miles to my BA account, in hopes of achieving BA Silver.

Getting the missing miles, and tier points, has proven to be a challenge. Initially I called BA customer service, but that turned into a ping-pong match of being referred to AA, who then referred me to call over to BA.

I gave up on the phone route and am now waiting on a reply to a packet I mailed in containing the original flight itinerary. Fingers crossed that someone sees reason and reinstates the missing mileage credit.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Unfortunately there's no missing mileage to claim. Multiple legs under the same flight number only count as one "segment" with the direct mileage from origin to destination, so it was correct for AA to credit you with the DEN-SEA mileage. The only exception is when outbound and return flights between two cities are assigned the same number.

Edit: full discussion here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:22 pm

Technically you took a direct flight from DEN-SEA and the mileage is calculated without regard to layovers.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by CasaDeTony
Something strange happened recently, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. The TL;DR is watch out when flying multiple connecting segments that use the same AA521 flight identifier. Has anyone had trouble collecting miles on multi-city itineraries that reuse the same flight number?

I recently took AA521 from DEN->PHX->SEA. I thought it was a bit odd that the same flight number was used for multiple segments (there are actually a few more segments you can take with AA521!) Twas a mostly enjoyable flight in F, although we did have one of our bags offloaded in PHX, which was a bit annoying.

A few days later I went to review my account history and was surprised to see miles posting for DEN->SEA, with about 33% less miles than expected from the longer 2-leg itinerary. To complicate matters, I'm crediting the miles to my BA account, in hopes of achieving BA Silver.

Getting the missing miles, and tier points, has proven to be a challenge. Initially I called BA customer service, but that turned into a ping-pong match of being referred to AA, who then referred me to call over to BA.

I gave up on the phone route and am now waiting on a reply to a packet I mailed in containing the original flight itinerary. Fingers crossed that someone sees reason and reinstates the missing mileage credit.
It's not strange; it's SOP, and it has been so for many years.

We've merged your query into the existing thread. /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.