Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
[B]Through / direct with same flight number on multiple segments credit as single non-stop

Through or direct flights are those that use one flight number but may not be nonstop. Takeaway: all nonstop flights are direct; direct flights might not be non-stop. When speaking to agents and you want a nonstop flight, specify nonstop.

A direct (or through) flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which includes one or more stops at an intermediate point(s).
AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link):

For any flights that earn mileage credit based on a percentage of distance flown, the distance is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, the distance of each segment will be used. On single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, the nonstop origin-destination distance will be used and credit for a single elite qualifying segment will be given.
[*]AAdvantage flight mileage credit is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, you'll receive mileage credit for each segment of your trip; on single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, you'll receive the nonstop origin-destination mileage credit and credit for a single elite qualifying segment. On American Airlines and other AAdvantage airline participants, you'll receive AAdvantage mileage credit only for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed. American Airlines is the final authority on the methodology used to calculate mileage and the amount of flight credit for a particular flight or routing. American Airlines is the final authority on qualification for mileage credit and reserves the right to deny or revoke mileage credit at any time if American Airlines determines that mileage credit was improperly given.
If one takes a through / direct flight consisting of two or more segments operated as one flight number, the miles earned are as if the flight was a nonstop. E.g. AA111 FCO-ORD (772) and AA111 ORD-LAX (738) would render miles and segment credits as if you had flown nonstop FCO-LAX, even if you had a change of aircraft, terminals and gates in ORD.

It's not uncommon to have different aircraft carry out different segments, even different "gauges" (narrow and wide bodied) and different terminals. Normally, passengers flying both segments must disembark with cabin / hand baggage at the intermediate stops.

The exception is for round trips using same flight numbers, e.g. a mileage run using AA 123 SMF-DFW-SMF would credit separately and properly.

Seat selection will normally be for seats offered on all segments (as opposed to being able to select different seats on different segments.

Upgrades must normally clear on all segments to clear.

There are other peculiarities (affecting upgrade requests, Five Star Services, etc.) discussed in this thread. Booking through / direct flights can cause challenges one doesn’t experience on connections ting flights with different flight numbers or nonstop flights.
Print Wikipost

One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
No, US always worked the same way AA does on this matter. AAA-BBB-CCC on the same flight number only earns as if AAA-CCC was flown nonstop. The way OP's flights originally posted is correct per AAdvantage (as would have also been the case for DM).

OP seems to have gotten lucky with an either misinformed or generous agent.
Thanks for clarifying that for us.

Sometimes, it actually pays to get an uninformed agent. (Now, let's see if those miles granted for the through flight stick.)
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Glb, Hilton Gold, Marriott AMB, National EE
Questions on direct / through flights

I don't fly direct, but not non-stop, flights much, so forgive me for my elementary question. I am flying AA609 tomorrow, ATL - SEA, with a stop in CLT. I only have the one boarding pass for ATL - SEA. Do I get off the plane in CLT, even though it is the same plane (at least as of now), or can I stay on? It has probably been 15 years since I ran into this problem and I vaguely remember staying on the plane, but getting in the way of the cleaning crew.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by maizeandblue96
I don't fly direct, but not non-stop, flights much, so forgive me for my elementary question. I am flying AA609 tomorrow, ATL - SEA, with a stop in CLT. I only have the one boarding pass for ATL - SEA. Do I get off the plane in CLT, even though it is the same plane (at least as of now), or can I stay on? It has probably been 15 years since I ran into this problem and I vaguely remember staying on the plane, but getting in the way of the cleaning crew.
Typically there is no cleaning crew during stopovers such as AA 609. You may be given the choice of staying on the plane or taking all your belongings, including your ATL boarding pass should you choose to deplane in CLT. You won't be able to re-board until they start boarding the CLT - SEA passengers.

Also, be aware, AA posts mileage on such flights as though you flew direct from ATL to SEA.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:17 pm

In all likelihood you'll have to get off and reboard using the same boarding pass once boarding starts for the CLT-SEA leg

But ask the crew - they may allow you to stay onboard if you want to
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
If theres a short layover they usually let you stay on the plane. I've flown ATL-PHX-LAS on the same plane/flight # before and stayed on board.

If its the same flight # you won't get a different boarding pass. If they make u get off the plane for cleaning or wahtever, the same BP will work.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
If theres a short layover they usually let you stay on the plane. I've flown ATL-PHX-LAS on the same plane/flight # before and stayed on board.

If its the same flight # you won't get a different boarding pass. If they make u get off the plane for cleaning or wahtever, the same BP will work.
Staying on the plane also depends upon whether the same or a new crew is working the continuation.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Questions on direct / through flights

And whether the same AIRCRAFT is even operating the second leg.

OP will just kind of have to go with the flow.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Yep, pretty much covered thus far... if it's the same aircraft with the same crew they will most likely allow you to stay on board, if that is your preference. Just be aware that aircraft and crew changes are quite common and if either one of these occur you will be forced to disembark and re-board with your original BP.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Be sure to check to see if its the same aircraft. I've seen lots of instances on US where a flight from, say DCA-PHX is an A319 and the same flight number which continues onto SNA is on an A320.

Bad practice (and deceptive) in my opinion, but it does happen.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Last friday, I flew DTW-PHX-LAS as a direct flight. I keep a pretty well-maintained spreadsheet of my mileage activity, and today I noticed it seemed to be off.

While there's no line item in my account on aa.com or anything that indicates weird mileage accrual (It shows 1,749 EQM, which is right for DTW-LAS directly), my accounting shows that aa.com is showing 500 more EQM than I expect and 1 extra segment.

Looks like I hit a bug of some sort? I can only assume that segment/EQM came from the PHX-LAS leg of this direct flight. I was 500-mile upgraded for both flights. I'm not sure if this matters.

EDIT: I had posted this as a question in the EQM/EQP thread, but this combined thread seemed more appropriate, so I removed the post. Hope this isn't seen as a cross-post.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA GOLD
How to count miles: Direct flight with a stop at a hub city

How to count miles: Direct flight with a stop at a hub city such as DFW. Same flight number for both legs. count like non-stop, or add the two legs?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by OvertheCascades
How to count miles: Direct flight with a stop at a hub city such as DFW. Same flight number for both legs. count like non-stop, or add the two legs?
Count it as a noin stop.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by OvertheCascades
Same as a nonstop.
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA GOLD
thanks you all!
Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Direct/Thru Flight Weirdness: One Segment Upgraded

I was flying a direct flight today (two flights with the same flight number) SAN-PHX-DEN. I was #1 on the upgrade list at the airport, and they eventually called me to the desk. The gate agents still had "US Airways" on their nametags, and three of them were standing there trying to figure out how to process my upgrade.

After about 10 minutes of typing and printing out boarding passes, ripping them up, typing again, printing more boarding passes, ripping them up, they finally handed me two boarding passes. SAN-PHX was in F (1D), PHX-DEN in Y (10F). A321. They told me I'd have to check with the desk in PHX to get them to issue me my F boarding pass for the thru segment.

I got to PHX, deplaned, and went to the gate agent, explained the situation. She typed for a few minutes and said "Well, 1D is open. I can't get it to put you there, but go ahead and take it." So I know the original issue wasn't an issue of a seat being available on the first flight but not the second. The other gate agent caught wind and said "hold on, we have to fix that." She eventually also gave up and told me to sit in 1D (F had about 9 empty seats on this flight).

The Gate Agent came onboard a few minutes after I sat down in 1D, handed me yet a third boarding pass that was for 8F, but she had crossed it out and wrote "1C" on it. She then told the FA "He won't show up on your lists, but he's Platinum" and they left it at that, and I took off in F.

The whole thing is rather strange, and I'm beginning to wonder if they even took stickers from me (SAN-PHX is ~300 miles). Anyone ever experience this? I wasn't even aware they could put you in two different seats for these, but the second boarding pass clearly had a different assignment and had "THRU" under the seat number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.