Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sdsearch
What is AA R class used for? Is it a normal fare found on the Alaska website, or something else?
R is an Alaska revenue fare class (R class on AA is the sticker upgrade inventory on 3 class flights). Normally, AS flights earn EQM/RDMs, but AS flights booked in R class do not appear to.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
AA Elites No Longer to Pay AS for Changing Same Day Flight

I am flight AS 303 (SFO to SEA). At check in, Agent mentioned that AA elites will not be charged for confirmed stand by changes (I changed from a later flight in the afternoon to morning flight) She said that an announcement will be made soon. Good news for AA elites on AS.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:13 pm

If you are a MVP, what check in counter can you use when flying AA? Can you use the priority security and priority AAccess line? Can you credit the miles to AA, but still receive the AS elite benefits?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:42 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by naswi
I am flight AS 303 (SFO to SEA). At check in, Agent mentioned that AA elites will not be charged for confirmed stand by changes (I changed from a later flight in the afternoon to morning flight) She said that an announcement will be made soon. Good news for AA elites on AS.
Wow, that's awesome!!!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by cosmith
If you are a MVP, what check in counter can you use when flying AA? Can you use the priority security and priority AAccess line? Can you credit the miles to AA, but still receive the AS elite benefits?
J/priority counter (or F if no J). Yes, yes, yes, and yes. All of this is listed on Alaska's web site.

Also note that it's been reported in the AS forum that AS MVPG 75k flyers now get the EXP 3-bag allowance on AA.

As the AS/DL relationship continues to fall apart, AA and AS continue to edge closer.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Booked a family vacation to Anchorage for June 2016 today - four RT from BNA for 100k miles! Multi-city itinerary - into ANC and return from FAI. That's a great value on miles, especially during June when MilesAAver awards are few and far between. One connection on each leg.

Tweeted AA to get the AS record locator, responded in about 30 minutes.

Reserved Elite seats thru alaskaair.com - went with bulkhead, as I understand they still have a tray table.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
R is an Alaska revenue fare class (R class on AA is the sticker upgrade inventory on 3 class flights). Normally, AS flights earn EQM/RDMs, but AS flights booked in R class do not appear to.
Worth noting that if you somehow end up ticketed in R on AS flight number on AS stock, it's probably worth calling in to AS and asking to "upfare" to a mileage earning class.

I was just able to change from AS R to T on a flight later this week, for a very small fare difference. No change fee was charged.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Reserved Elite seats thru alaskaair.com - went with bulkhead, as I understand they still have a tray table.
Row 6 on AS has tray tables in the armrests and thus immovable armrests (at least on 737-900s). The row in front of row 6 is F seats, so there can't be seatback tray tables that are properly aligned for coach. There is underseat storage underneath the last row of F, so row 6 seats don't have to put their personal item in the overhead (at least not on the AS aircraft I've been on of late).
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
When I check in, I usually ask if there any paid upgrades available and pay the fee accordingly. Yesterday, I was on AS flight from SFO to SEA. I asked if there were any available paid upgrades, the agent said yes. He asked me if I had any status with American. I told him that I am an ExPlat. He mentioned that "they are working on the American agreement" and didn't charge me the standard $50 fee. I found this very interesting. Just wanted to share my experience.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Nice bennies

All Alaska Airlines terminal personnel were quite familiar with my AA Platinum benefits, including up to two free checked bags. Just needed the one for my dive fins and extra clothes for 8 days.

TSA was not familiar with the close relationship and eyed me askance when I presented my AA Platinum elite card and an Alaska Airlines boarding pass. He asked where it shows my status on the boarding pass, so I pointed it out to him in the bottom right, and he explained he was reletively new and not fully familiar with everything yet. A reasonable TSA officer.

Economy award to Hawaii on short notice, which is why I was on Alaska Air going there, but a nice touch they have is a free Mai Tai for everyone flying to Hawaii, including economy.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I'm and AA Plat and have a couple of questions about flying on AS:
Do the miles flown on AS count towards the 12.5k miles for the 500 mile AA upgrades?
Also, am I understanding the 2016 changes correctly in that if a discounted economy ticket is booked as an AS flight # I will earn .5 EQM, but if I book the same AS flight as an AA codeshare I will earn 1 EQM fora discounted economy ticket?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 1:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AAway
Do the miles flown on AS count towards the 12.5k miles for the 500 mile AA upgrades?
Also, am I understanding the 2016 changes correctly in that if a discounted economy ticket is booked as an AS flight # I will earn .5 EQM, but if I book the same AS flight as an AA codeshare I will earn 1 EQM fora discounted economy ticket?
I can't answer your second question but yes, they do count towards miles for upgrades. They also count towards Million Miler status.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 3:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by naswi
When I check in, I usually ask if there any paid upgrades available and pay the fee accordingly. Yesterday, I was on AS flight from SFO to SEA. I asked if there were any available paid upgrades, the agent said yes. He asked me if I had any status with American. I told him that I am an ExPlat. He mentioned that "they are working on the American agreement" and didn't charge me the standard $50 fee. I found this very interesting. Just wanted to share my experience.
That is indeed interesting! (Though given the process and scarcity of upgrades on AA, I'm not sure this would be a huge bonus for AS flyers flying on AA.)

Originally Posted by AAway
Yes and yes. See here for AA miles earning both now and under the 1/1/2016 earnings schemes.

Any time you book an American Airlines marketed (AA codeshare) flight it earns the same as if you were flying AA.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 5:12 pm

Hi all, some questions for an AA Plat flying to Hawaii on AS.

1) I booked my flight via AS, can I still get benefits (better seats) somehow? If so, how?
2) I would like to get the miles of my trip credited to my AA account. How can I do this?

Thanks!
Old Dec 25, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by MikailSJ
Hi all, some questions for an AA Plat flying to Hawaii on AS.

1) I booked my flight via AS, can I still get benefits (better seats) somehow? If so, how?
2) I would like to get the miles of my trip credited to my AA account. How can I do this?

Thanks!
The answer to both of your questions is to call AS and have them put your AAdvantage # in the reservation. You will then be able to choose preferred seats and your miles should be automatically credited to AA. You'll also be able to check 2 bags for free.

Hope you have a fun trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.