Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC Super Elite
Pretty sure they don't based on my experience with flying similar flights on WestJet this year - I get some RDM, but no EQM/EQS.

Sucks.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by RichVan
Pretty sure they don't based on my experience with flying similar flights on WestJet this year - I get some RDM, but no EQM/EQS.
But that's before August 1, and WestJet is not Alaska. You're correct that R fares on AS didn't previously earn EQM/EQS. However, in the post-8/1 table, they're explicitly shown as earning EQM, which means they'll contribute to EQS as well.

Relevant text from AA's elite information website:

Earn Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) or Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) on eligible-fare tickets to qualify for Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold status when you fly:

American Airlines or American Eagle®
oneworld® member airlines
Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air)
Codeshare flights with an American Airlines flight number
Finally, to the OP, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by rjw242
But that's before August 1, and WestJet is not Alaska. You're correct that R fares on AS didn't previously earn EQM/EQS. However, in the post-8/1 table, they're explicitly shown as earning EQM, which means they'll contribute to EQS as well.

That's great to hear as I would like to fly AS more out of YVR.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Booked a flight on Alaska using my AAdvantage Platinum number, and was able to select elite seats for all passengers with the same reservation number directly on AlaskaAir.com due to my status with AA.

Very impressed!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Max M
Hi All,

I plan to be traveling for the first time on an AS flight [non AA codeshare].

I have AAdvantage Platinum Status, my wife has AAdvantage Gold status, and another family member has no status with AA.

To anyone that has elite status with AA who has traveled with another passenger on the same PNR that lacks status on AA, did the passenger without status on the same PNR share the same elite benefits on AS-- specifically, Preferred/Elite seats on AS?

Thanks!
This is an excellent illustration why FlyerTalk's guidance is to search for an existing topic prior to starting a new thread. The Wikipost includes

FAQs

Q: Will people traveling with me be eligible for these benefits as well?

A: All companions booked in the same reservation (up to 9 passengers)
with an AAdvantage elite status member will be eligible for the same
benefits, including the waived checked baggage charge.

We have merged your query into the existing thread. /Moderator
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: American
Originally Posted by rjw242

Thanks for the welcome! That's great news! I can get my last 6-8 segments for super cheap
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Am I better off booking an Alaska flight on the AS web site or on the AA site as a codeshare flight?

Price is the same.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Am I better off booking an Alaska flight on the AS web site or on the AA site as a codeshare flight?

Price is the same.
Are you crediting to AA or AS?

If to AA, I believe you earn minimum 1 EQM/mile flown on the AA flight number (codeshare) versus potentially less on the prime flight booked through AS (since everything except full fare coach earns 0.5 EQM/mile flown on the AA partner chart).

If you're crediting to AS, then look at their earning charts as well. But I believe it'd be the reverse situation, where the AS flight number credited to AS earns a minimum of 1:1, but AA credited to AS might not.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Are you crediting to AA or AS?

If to AA, I believe you earn minimum 1 EQM/mile flown on the AA flight number (codeshare) versus potentially less on the prime flight booked through AS (since everything except full fare coach earns 0.5 EQM/mile flown on the AA partner chart).

If you're crediting to AS, then look at their earning charts as well. But I believe it'd be the reverse situation, where the AS flight number credited to AS earns a minimum of 1:1, but AA credited to AS might not.
Correct on both counts. If crediting to AA, you want the AA flight number for sure for EQMs. (For RDMs, the story could be different depending on fare paid, fare class, and distance.) If crediting to AS, you want the AS flight number.

Also, AS's change fee is much lower than AA's; it's the ticketing carrier that determines the change fee.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Thanks.

I am a nobody with AS so will be crediting to AA. Will book through them.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum
I have a question I wasn't able to find the answer to in threads. I am looking at purchasing a flight from MIA --> SFO, on American's website its $568 for economy. On the same exact flight (operated by American) it is $157 for an economy seat.

I am Exec Platinum and already have qualified for Exec Plat again next year so earning the miles isn't a huge concern for me (given the price disparity).. I did however have a question.. When I go to purchase it is not letting me select a seat. As a Preferred for American, on an American Operated flight, purchased through Alaska's website, would the EP desk be able to put me in MCE seats? I understand Upgrades wouldn't be offered. I am just unclear as when I go to purchase all seats appear not to be selectable on Alaska, but inventory available over at American.

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA: Plat HH:Gold
Segments on Alaska Airlines

If I book a flight on Alaska airlines website. Do I still get a segment in my AA account?
I saw the update mileage breakout for Alaska. But did not see that the segment will still count regardless of class.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Triharder
If I book a flight on Alaska airlines website. Do I still get a segment in my AA account?
I saw the update mileage breakout for Alaska. But did not see that the segment will still count regardless of class.
You will indeed get a segment for it.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Checked through the posts, apologize ahead of time if this has been asked/answered:

Booked an AA flight via Alaska website, currently EXP - am I correct that upgrades are not possible?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by bakster21
Booked an AA flight via Alaska website, currently EXP - am I correct that upgrades are not possible?
If it has an AS flight number, no upgrades. If it has an AA flight number, upgrades possible (you'll need to get your AA record locator and request the upgrade via aa.com, though at the moment AA are having an IT issue so maybe wait a while on that).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.