Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by sdsearch
In there it's been claimed that on aircraft that have Premium class, the exit rows (and exit rows only) will continue to be Preferred Plus. Of course, not everyone qualifies for sitting in an exit row (for example, children under 15), so it's not a complete substitute, and Alaska Airlines may not want to explain all the intricacies of that on that website (in that most airlines don't promote exit row seats at all).
Yeah, I just booked a r/t for January on an E175, and it is wanting to charge me for the Premium Class seats. I guess this means the end of complimentary row 6. Furthermore, on the E175 there will be no more complimentary extra legroom seats for AA members.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Majuki
Yeah, I just booked a r/t for January on an E175, and it is wanting to charge me for the Premium Class seats. I guess this means the end of complimentary row 6. Furthermore, on the E175 there will be no more complimentary extra legroom seats for AA members.
Do you have a status with AA?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by jediwho
Do you have a status with AA?
I am Executive Platinum, and my elite status is recognized on the AS reservation. Selecting any seat in rows 6-8 for my itinerary at the end of January results in AS charging me for each segment.

At least on the E175, there are no complimentary extra legroom seats for AA elites available. The 737s still have the exit row, but, as indicated in a previous post, not everyone qualifies for exit row seating.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
As noted in the AS forum, the DOJ has approved the AS/VX merger with conditions with a small impact on the AA/AS partnership: they'll eliminate codeshares on overlapping markets as well as LAX-AA hubs. No DOJ-mandated changes to the AA/AS frequent flyer partnership, it appears.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As of May 1, 2017, AS and Delta are severing all connections (code sharing, earning miles, Elite privileges, etc.) With Alaska's approved takeover of Virgin America (making AS the fifth largest airline and a greater presence on the West Coast), the continuing AA - AS relationship might be more valuable than ever before.

See here for Gary Leff's blog article in The Boarding Area.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
AA Gold benefits on AS

Good afternoon,

Family member who is Gold on AA is flying AS SEA-LAX. What are the benefits? Preferred seating and checked bag or more? Also with the new alaska premium economy product, is an aa elite member automatically seated in the premium product?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AAflyerORD
Good afternoon,

Family member who is Gold on AA is flying AS SEA-LAX. What are the benefits? Preferred seating and checked bag or more? Also with the new alaska premium economy product, is an aa elite member automatically seated in the premium product?
Please read the Wikipost at the top of this thread for information.

/Moderator
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I recently changed from United to AA & have what may be a silly rookie question, but I don't see it explicitly addressed here - sorry if I missed it.

Do I earn both AS and AK miles for the same flight? Doesn't seem like I should.

If not, how can I make sure I get the AA miles instead of AK (booked through our company agent - both FF numbers appear on my itinerary for the AK flights, but the flights show only on the AA website, not the AS site).

thanks
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by greenskin
I recently changed from United to AA & have what may be a silly rookie question, but I don't see it explicitly addressed here - sorry if I missed it.

Do I earn both AS and AK miles for the same flight? Doesn't seem like I should.

If not, how can I make sure I get the AA miles instead of AK (booked through our company agent - both FF numbers appear on my itinerary for the AK flights, but the flights show only on the AA website, not the AS site).

thanks
I'm rather confused by what you mean here because you use "AA", "AS", and "AK", and you seem to be using AK and AS to refer to different airlines. AA is the IATA code for American Airlines. AS is the IATA code for Alaska Airlines. AK is the US Postal Service abbreviation for the state of Alaska and the IATA airline code for one of the AirAsia operators (I think). On FlyerTalk, we don't normally use "AK" to refer to Alaska Airlines because of the potential confusion; sticking to IATA airline codes or spelling out the name of the airline is best. Also, I can't parse the part of the parenthetical after the hyphen at all; could you clarify what you mean?

Assuming you're asking if you can earn both AA and AS miles for the same flight, the answer is no, whether the flight is marketed or operated by AA, AS, or one of their partners.

I don't know how both frequent flyer numbers show up on the web site. It certainly doesn't happen for me. I have sometimes switched from one airline's frequent flyer number to another when flying AA or AS (this sometimes can only be done with the help of a Twitter, phone, or airport agent), but I've never wound up with both frequent flyer numbers in the reservation. Even if they somehow are both in the reservation, I think it is very unlikely that miles will credit to both programs; if they did, it would be a glitch, not policy.

There aren't significant differences between how mileage earning operates amongst the AA, AS, and UA programs, for the most part; all three are certainly the same in whether you can credit one flight to multiple programs. The biggest difference is that on UA, it's the operating carrier that determines how many miles you earn; on AA, it's the marketing carrier that matters (marketing carriers often have restrictions about operating carriers; in AS's case for AAdvantage earning, the operating carrier must be AS or AA). In AS's Mileage Plan, it's the operating carrier in most cases, except that with flights marketed or operated by AA, it's the marketing carrier, not the operating carrier, that matters.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: AA (EXP), SPG/Marriott (Platinum)
AA EXP: Elite benefits when booking AA with Alaska miles?

Does an AA EXP (or other elite) get its normal benefits when booking an AA flight using Alaska miles? Boarding, main cabin extra, free meal, etc? Or does the system not recognize you are EXP because your AAdvantage number is not in the reservation?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by Andrew DCA
Does an AA EXP (or other elite) get its normal benefits when booking an AA flight using Alaska miles? Boarding, main cabin extra, free meal, etc? Or does the system not recognize you are EXP because your AAdvantage number is not in the reservation?
You'll need to add Your AA number to the record. If you can't do it online,call aa
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:20 pm

Will I get AA credit if I book a flight through Alaska's website, marketed by Alaska (AS1964), but OPERATED by Virgin America?

If so, what exactly do I need to do? Simply book through Alaska and add my AA# to my profile?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by alvarez16
Will I get AA credit if I book a flight through Alaska's website, marketed by Alaska (AS1964), but OPERATED by Virgin America?
No. VX is not an AA partner, and AS-marketed flights must be operated by AS or AA to be eligible for AA mileage credit.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
No. VX is not an AA partner, and AS-marketed flights must be operated by AS or AA to be eligible for AA mileage credit.
What about elite benefits on a AS-marketed flight operated by VX?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by werDrD
What about elite benefits on a AS-marketed flight operated by VX?
No idea, personally. I doubt the VX systems would know how to recognize an AA elite. AS elites hardly get any benefits on VX metal anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.