Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Is there a list of Alaska operated AA codeshares?
rvolkcpa likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by BarryL
Does anyone know how many AA EQMs are earned on AS with AS $99 companion fare? Have a friend who's close to EXP, trying to plan EOY flying. I booked a SEA-FLL RT with my $99 AS companion pass. Last time was able to get 100% EQM credit to AA, but that was late 2016.
The $99 companion fare is a regular ticket as far as frequent flyer earning is concerned. For earning purposes, it's exactly the same as buying without a discount. It would only be 100% EQM credit if it's booked in an AS fare class that earns 100% EQMs (ie Y, S, or B), of course.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
It would only be 100% EQM credit if it's booked in an AS fare class that earns 100% EQMs (ie Y, S, or B), of course.
Correction: B earns 50% EQM according to the linked table.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:07 am

AA Flight booked with Alaska miles... Executive Platinum benefits?

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, I can't find an answer anywhere!

My wife and I are EP with AA. We are looking to book a flight using Alaska Miles on a AA flight. I have no status with Alaska.

Question is: because there is no option to add my AA number when booking online, will I still be able to access the EP benefits- upgrades, baggage, etc. If so, how do I add the Aadvantage number?

I have done been able to add my Aadvantage number to an Avios booking on an AA flight (completed through Finnair website), but I can't seem to find an answer regarding Alaska.

Thank you so much to anyone with an answer, and Happy New Year!
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Eta - Have you called AA with your PNR?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by AG.Canada
Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, I can't find an answer anywhere!

My wife and I are EP with AA. We are looking to book a flight using Alaska Miles on a AA flight. I have no status with Alaska.

Question is: because there is no option to add my AA number when booking online, will I still be able to access the EP benefits- upgrades, baggage, etc. If so, how do I add the Aadvantage number?

I have done been able to add my Aadvantage number to an Avios booking on an AA flight (completed through Finnair website), but I can't seem to find an answer regarding Alaska.

Thank you so much to anyone with an answer, and Happy New Year!

Yes, once you’ve made the reservation, you can contact AA to add the AA frequent flyer number. I’ve used Twitter when I do this. You could certainly also call.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:49 am

I am currently a AA Gold member. If I cash in miles on the AA website for an Alaska flight, do I still get the free checked bag? I'm guessing not since the elite benefits ended, but wasn't sure since I am technically "purchasing" this flight through AA.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by carjeff
I am currently a AA Gold member. If I cash in miles on the AA website for an Alaska flight, do I still get the free checked bag? I'm guessing not since the elite benefits ended, but wasn't sure since I am technically "purchasing" this flight through AA.
Almost certainly not. What matters for status-based bag fee waivers is the operating, not ticketing, carrier you check in with. Since you'll be checking in with AS, it's AS's bag fee waivers that matter.

The possible exception is that AA-issued etickets, in my experience, incorporate bag fee waivers into the ticketed bag allowance, which should be binding on all carriers on the ticket. So if your eticket receipt says the bag fee is 0.00USD, AS shouldn't charge you any bag fees.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
There aren't a ton of AA-coded AS-operated flights any more, but I did notice that a couple of our vacation destinations do still have them. All the AS flights to Montana have AA-codes and are generally the same price as the AS-codes sold on Alaskaair.com. I am really missing the 2x bags per passenger from my elite benefits, but if we put in an AS frequent flier # for at least one of the travelers with an AS credit card we at least get one free bag per passenger. The loss of elite seat selections sucks too, those DH4 aircraft have most of the plane as preferred so we are way in the back as a result. Maybe time to have my wife status match to MVP Gold and hold status there for our family vacations.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
There aren't a ton of AA-coded AS-operated flights any more, but I did notice that a couple of our vacation destinations do still have them. All the AS flights to Montana have AA-codes and are generally the same price as the AS-codes sold on Alaskaair.com. I am really missing the 2x bags per passenger from my elite benefits, but if we put in an AS frequent flier # for at least one of the travelers with an AS credit card we at least get one free bag per passenger. The loss of elite seat selections sucks too, those DH4 aircraft have most of the plane as preferred so we are way in the back as a result. Maybe time to have my wife status match to MVP Gold and hold status there for our family vacations.
Of course, the drawback of using an AS FF# to get bag fees waived on a domestic AA*/AS flight is that the AS member will earn nothing. (For sure nothing on the AA marketed and operated segments; probably nothing on the AA-marketed, AS-operated segments.)
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by ashill
Of course, the drawback of using an AS FF# to get bag fees waived on a domestic AA*/AS flight is that the AS member will earn nothing. (For sure nothing on the AA marketed and operated segments; probably nothing on the AA-marketed, AS-operated segments.)
For something like SEA-HLN (which is a whopping 480 miles), it's probably a decent trade off to get us 5 free bags, but agree for anything more substantial. We had 10 free bags when we went skiing in December under the old AA elite benefits, we used 9 of the allotment. We'll be consolidating a bit and carrying boot bags on (which they take before you board because the bins are so small) for this next trip.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA PPro
AA and Alaska booking

I need to reposition from PDX to SEA for an overseas flight. When I check to book through AA.com with $$, I get no routes, but when I try to book with miles I get lots of options. I would prefer to get the aa miles rather than alaska. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tfizzle
I need to reposition from PDX to SEA for an overseas flight. When I check to book through AA.com with $$, I get no routes, but when I try to book with miles I get lots of options. I would prefer to get the aa miles rather than alaska. Any thoughts?
I suspect there aren't any AA codeshares on PDX-SEA, so no way to earn AA miles for this flight.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Your only option would be to connect through LAX. Fares between LAX and PDX / SEA are pretty reasonable lately. So you could fly PDX to LAX and then connect to Seattle. Obviously, it's out of the way but the fare isn't crazy and you'll get AA miles if that's what's important to you.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
Flying AS/VX can't credit to AA

So I'm flying JFK-LAX in a week and half, entered my AA number on the AS website, no problem. I call to ask a question, they ask if I want to change my number since there is no agreement between VX and AA to credit. I said, I booked this flight with AS shouldn't those rules apply. Am I the only one that thinks this is stupid?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.