Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by saaveraward
I'm confused by this whole thing.

AA will sell me a ticket on AS, but I won't earn any AAdvantage miles?

If they're willing to sell me a ticket, then isn't it codeshare eligible and therefore AA miles can be earned?

Agent said mile estimate was 0 on his screen.
Read the Wikipost at the top of the page. Read the page it links to on aa.com (here). Only if it’s AA marketed (codeshare) will it earn AA miles.

Who you buy a ticket from may affect who you go to for changes, but it won’t affect earning miles.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by ashill

No, AA can’t check in your bags when your first segment is operated by AS. You always check in with the operating carrier (or primary marketing carrier in the case of Eagle/Connection/Express flights) of your first segment.

AS not following the baggage allowance and fees listed on your sticker receipt is against the law. You should get a refund. It’s AS who incorrectly charged you the fees, so I think the refund should be from them.

(AA IT routinely places the incorrect bag fees on tickets in cases like this — USD0.00 is incorrect — but that’s for AA and AS to work out, not you. What’s printed on the eticket receipt is legally binding for all carriers on the ticket.)
I just booked an AA marketed, but AS operated flight from SAN to SEA for later this year. Receipt shown no free checked bags, but no fee for either first, or second checked bags (Plat and Plat Pro on the reservation and this is typical to see when I book Y on AA). It will be interesting to see what happens come bag drop time at the AS desk.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen

I just booked an AA marketed, but AS operated flight from SAN to SEA for later this year. Receipt shown no free checked bags, but no fee for either first, or second checked bags (Plat and Plat Pro on the reservation and this is typical to see when I book Y on AA). It will be interesting to see what happens come bag drop time at the AS desk.
well this just got a little bit more “interesting”. I tried to chose seats on the Alaskan website (the AA O fare booked into R on AS, so allows for selection on the main cabin), but I got an error and then a message to state that my flight times had changed. I took a closer look and the departure time has been brought forward by almost 4hrs. I checked on AS and there is a flight that departs 30 mins after my original departure time, but when looking at AA, they do not show that flight as being available as a code share, with just my new flight (far too early in the day) and the last flight of the day (connecting to a cruise, so purposly avoided this one) showing as avail and 2.5x what I paid.

Can I have AA switch me to the AS flight closer to my original departure time, even though they do not offer it as a codeshare flight?

edit:- just noticed that my AA PNR no longer exists, but the AS one is still their, albeit with the new flight time

Last edited by Reetmafreen; Feb 3, 2019 at 12:03 pm Reason: Recent observation
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, HG Gold
AA can only change your flight to another codeshare flight.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by petewinca
AA can only change your flight to another codeshare flight.
Thanks. My flight is not until October, so I can wait to see if the other AS operated flights for that day become available as codeshares in the interim. I haven’t accepted any changes yet, so could theoretically still cancel at any point if something alternative came up as the schedule change is just shy of 4hrs.

AS must have loaded a fairly significant schedule change last night, along with some steepish price increases, as their “X” inventory (basic saver fare) is now more than my original AA codeshare fare, by about 30%.

I was toying with cancelling the flight for a refund and just going with Delta in F just to stick it to the Admirals Club and gain access on my travel date (Oct 31) whilst waiting for the flight, but then I noticed that AS switched from T1 to T2 at SAN at the end of Jan this year, so I would now have had access either way!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage
Nooby Question: Earn EQM's on AS

If i'm on a AS plane with AA codeshare do I earn EQM's and EQD's? Or just regular miles?...
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AALGoldFlyer
If i'm on a AS plane with AA codeshare do I earn EQM's and EQD's? Or just regular miles?...
It appears that you may earn EQMs/EQDs if I'm reading this source correctly:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/alaska-airlines.jsp

"
Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will earn AAdvantage® award miles, Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) according to the American mileage accrual chart."

Regards
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
If you are ticketed with an AA flight number, you earn AAdvantage miles as if flying AA, regardless of operating carrier. This is nearly the only remaining way to earn AA miles on AS metal. (I think a QF-marketed ticket would also earn AA miles because QF does not have an operating carrier restriction, unlike most oneworld carriers.)
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
American Airlines marketed flights, regardless of operating airline, always earn as if you were flying on an AA flight operated by AA. Always.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
How to claim uncredited miles flown on Alaska Airlines

I flew on Alaska on 6/27, choosing to credit my AAdvantage account. I confirmed I entered the right number.

Alaska says it was credited to American. However, no such credit shows on my AA account.

Is it too early to create a complaint? How should I proceed, with Alaska or with AA?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:37 pm

Unless you booked those as AA codeshare flights, you get nothing
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp
bse118 and macintoshd like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by macintoshd
I flew on Alaska on 6/27, choosing to credit my AAdvantage account. I confirmed I entered the right number.

Alaska says it was credited to American. However, no such credit shows on my AA account.
Did you fly under an AA flight number?

If you didn't, AS flights don't earn AAdvantage miles.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Good to know, I don't know why Alaska allows you to enter an AA FF# if they won't credit you.

As I understand it, it is impossible to even book an AS codeshare on AA.com anymore.

It used to work in the past, I will call Alaska and see what can be done.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
As I understand it, it is impossible to even book an AS codeshare on AA.com anymore.
It's possible. Try, for example, DFW-BLI. The SEA-BLI leg is booked as an AA flight number operated by AS/QX. You can't, however, book just SEA-BLI, only a connection in SEA to BLI.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Good to know, I don't know why Alaska allows you to enter an AA FF# if they won't credit you.
It used to work in the past, I will call Alaska and see what can be done.
The rules changed a couple of years ago (possibly more than a couple)
The AS website let's you add the AA number so you can get AA seats, etc when you book AA tickets through them.
I don't know about paid tickets, but I have used it to book awards on AA flights. To do that, I do not tell it the member using the miles is flying.
Then you book AS member with the same name and birthdate, of course, and add the AA number later to get seat assignments from AA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.