Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
No status on AS means that you DON'T get preferred seating.

If you put in your AA number, then you'll get access to MCE and preferred seats.
not correct. AA Plat and Exec Plat sure do have access to preferred seats on AS
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by mikelat
Does AA EXP have any benefits for Same-Day flight changes or priority for standby? I have a flight coming up for PDX-ANC that has another flight leaving about 4 hours earlier that I'd love to get on. Any chance my status helps me do this for free at checkin T-24 or can help me on the standby priority for day of flight?
It's not a published benefit, and not one I've had any luck taking advantage of online as a DL Platinum (back when DL and AS were still buddy-buddy) or as an AA Platinum. So I doubt you'll have any luck as an EXP (for most things, the reciprocal benefits between AA and AS are the same for EXPs and Platinums), but I don't quite have specific experience.

I have not tried doing this with an agent, so I don't know if they're more lenient with partner elites than online check-in is.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
not correct. AA Plat and Exec Plat sure do have access to preferred seats on AS
Let me guess... you didn't bother reading the post I was replying to?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ashill
It's not a published benefit, and not one I've had any luck taking advantage of online as a DL Platinum (back when DL and AS were still buddy-buddy) or as an AA Platinum. So I doubt you'll have any luck as an EXP (for most things, the reciprocal benefits between AA and AS are the same for EXPs and Platinums), but I don't quite have specific experience.

I have not tried doing this with an agent, so I don't know if they're more lenient with partner elites than online check-in is.
OK, I'll post back after my trip with my results.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by chrisremo
When I used to fly this way often (2014-2015) it usually took about a week.
Thanks, just got credit and it was about 1 week.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Do AA Plats still board early with the Alaska Elites?

this page: https://blog.alaskaair.com/travel-ti...oarding-works/ seems to indicate early boarding is only for Alaska Elites.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci

this page: https://blog.alaskaair.com/travel-ti...oarding-works/ seems to indicate early boarding is only for Alaska Elites.
Yes, AS calls for partner/AA elites early in the boarding process. (I can't remember exactly when; it may be with MVPs, after MVP Golds.)

That blog post (though I find it interesting and useful in a number of ways, particularly for saying why Alaska doesn't use various approaches to boarding) is incomplete in the early boarding description. In particular, it doesn't even mention AS elites/MVPs, just saying "Alaska’s Mileage Plan members" board early, which obviously isn't true.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Yes, AS calls for partner/AA elites early in the boarding process. (I can't remember exactly when; it may be with MVPs, after MVP Golds.)
I flew AS earlier this week as an EXP. EXPs were called at the same time as MVP Golds (After first class). MVPs and Plats were the next group.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci

Originally Posted by bse118
I flew AS earlier this week as an EXP. EXPs were called at the same time as MVP Golds (After first class). MVPs and Plats were the next group.
I've also had agents call 75K+MVPG+EXP+PLTs after F. AS tinkers with their boarding process more than other airlines. In the past, it used to be MVPGs (before there was 75K), then MVPs+all partner elites, and I would just show them my AA card with my BP (but a good number of times they didn't check).

One not-so-recent constant... DL elites aren't called at all
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Interesting to note that with the Aug 1 RDM earnings (and ultimately EQD earnings) for partner carriers now announced, it seems that R fares on AS will be [albeit low] mileage earning effective 1 Aug. At least they are now listed on the chart at https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
Interesting to note that with the Aug 1 RDM earnings (and ultimately EQD earnings) for partner carriers now announced, it seems that R fares on AS will be [albeit low] mileage earning effective 1 Aug. At least they are now listed on the chart at https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp
Glad to see that. And 50% EQMs, the same as any other mileage-earning partner discount economy fare.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Do AA Elite Benefits carry to all passengers on a single PNR on AS?

Hi All,

I plan to be traveling for the first time on an AS flight [non AA codeshare].

I have AAdvantage Platinum Status, my wife has AAdvantage Gold status, and another family member has no status with AA.

To anyone that has elite status with AA who has traveled with another passenger on the same PNR that lacks status on AA, did the passenger without status on the same PNR share the same elite benefits on AS-- specifically, Preferred/Elite seats on AS?

Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Max M
Hi All,

I plan to be traveling for the first time on an AS flight [non AA codeshare].

I have AAdvantage Platinum Status, my wife has AAdvantage Gold status, and another family member has no status with AA.

To anyone that has elite status with AA who has traveled with another passenger on the same PNR that lacks status on AA, did the passenger without status on the same PNR share the same elite benefits on AS-- specifically, Preferred/Elite seats on AS?

Thanks!
Yes.

I've also had no trouble getting preferred seats with a non-elite companion on a separate reservation, though you have to call or Tweet to get the seat assigned.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Yes.

I've also had no trouble getting preferred seats with a non-elite companion on a separate reservation, though you have to call or Tweet to get the seat assigned.
Fantastic news!

Thanks ashill.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: American
Alaska Air R Class Tickets - AA Program

A few months back I few on a discount (R class) ticket on Alaska. After the trip I found out that R class tickets don't count on AA. With the upcoming AA changes, I noticed that R class tickets now get %5 miles starting August 1st. Does anyone know if this also counts for segments? I've had a lot of short trips this year so I've qualified for platinum by segments instead of miles. Based on upcoming travel, I'm going to be short by about 8 segments. I'm going to do some segments runs and noticed that I can get 6 segments on Horizon from portland to las vegas for $100-$130 but they are class R tickets. Anyone know if these count now or how i would find out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.