Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by flymonthly
The answer to both of your questions is to call AS and have them put your AAdvantage # in the reservation. You will then be able to choose preferred seats and your miles should be automatically credited to AA. You'll also be able to check 2 bags for free.

Hope you have a fun trip!
Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
UA + AS

I have a complicated 4 segment itinerary where the first and the last are on UA the middle segments are with AS. I am plt with both AA and UA. Currently the itinerary is ticketed with UA ticket numbers and UA MileagePlus number.

I would like to receive the benefits for AA plt on the Alaska flights. Is it possible to add AA number in the Alaska system without removing UA frequent flyer number from the Itinerary?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:14 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by flymonthly
The answer to both of your questions is to call AS and have them put your AAdvantage # in the reservation. You will then be able to choose preferred seats and your miles should be automatically credited to AA. You'll also be able to check 2 bags for free.

Hope you have a fun trip!
Is there anyway to upgrade on alaska from pdx to hnl as an american platinum? Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Is there anyway to upgrade on alaska from pdx to hnl as an american platinum? Thanks.
No, no way that isn't available to anyone flying AS.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Theoretically you can buy up at check in but it's unlikely there will be any seats available.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
Theoretically you can buy up at check in but it's unlikely there will be any seats available.
But that has nothing to do with AA elite status (which was the question asked and the topic of this thread); anyone can do that (if available), and AA elites have no advantage.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
I have a complicated 4 segment itinerary where the first and the last are on UA the middle segments are with AS. I am plt with both AA and UA. Currently the itinerary is ticketed with UA ticket numbers and UA MileagePlus number.

I would like to receive the benefits for AA plt on the Alaska flights. Is it possible to add AA number in the Alaska system without removing UA frequent flyer number from the Itinerary?
"Can I have my cake and eat it too?" Probably not. You might be able to use your AA status card for earlier boarding and security priority queue, however.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:37 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ashill
But that has nothing to do with AA elite status (which was the question asked and the topic of this thread); anyone can do that (if available), and AA elites have no advantage.
Well he was already told his status would have nothing to do with upgrades, I didn't see any reason to avoid mentioning buy ups are possible.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Elite or something, Marriott Platinum
Anyone sucessfully received elite (EXP) status due to customer service issue?

I reached EXP status again in early December based on segments. Exactly 120. I was waiting on two Alaska segments out of four from mid-November to credit and kept emailing and calling to get a status. I have yet to receive an email reply and anytime I called EXP CS, I was told it takes 30 days from receipt of email to get the credit. I'm just now being told the likely reason for no credit is because the Alaska segments were R fares, then I would not get credit leaving me at 118 for 2015. I'm still waiting for review, but I'm not feeling positive about this.

What has me not happy is that no one replied in the times I've tried to get the credit (or status of the credit). None of the reps I spoke with prior to now has given this as a potential explanation and until now, I had no idea about code R. Ignorance isn't always a reason but I would have certainly hopped a segment run (or at least weighed the option) if I had any reason to think they wouldn't be credited since I had flown 4 segments within 2 days and 2 were credited after about 3 weeks.

Should I expect to just let it go or are there instances of AA granting status?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
R fares on Alaska are not listed in the AAdvantage mile earning tables, and therefore do not earn AA miles or segments. I'm afraid you're almost certainly out of luck, short of "boosting" to EXP status for $1199:

http://aa.com/elite

If it makes you feel better, I'd never heard of R fares either, but will definitely be on the lookout for them in the future!
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
This isnt a customer service issue, this is a customer being uninformed issue.

Alaska R fares are commonly their heavy-discounted fares, eg. The ones that show up as flash sales every wednesday.

If you had a legitimate complaint? Maybe. As it is, paying up will likely be your only resolution if you want. And in the future make sure to pay attention to fare codes when cutting it so close...
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by coopgirl703
I reached EXP status again in early December based on segments. Exactly 120. I was waiting on two Alaska segments out of four from mid-November to credit and kept emailing and calling to get a status. I have yet to receive an email reply and anytime I called EXP CS, I was told it takes 30 days from receipt of email to get the credit. I'm just now being told the likely reason for no credit is because the Alaska segments were R fares, then I would not get credit leaving me at 118 for 2015. I'm still waiting for review, but I'm not feeling positive about this.

What has me not happy is that no one replied in the times I've tried to get the credit (or status of the credit). None of the reps I spoke with prior to now has given this as a potential explanation and until now, I had no idea about code R. Ignorance isn't always a reason but I would have certainly hopped a segment run (or at least weighed the option) if I had any reason to think they wouldn't be credited since I had flown 4 segments within 2 days and 2 were credited after about 3 weeks.

Should I expect to just let it go or are there instances of AA granting status?
You mention "I reached EXP status again in early December based on segments"-- is that to say that for 2015 you were EP? If so, I'd say your case is not 100% without hope based on you mentioning "I'm still waiting for review.."-- is that to say that they told you there would be such "review" on your account or indicated that is any way?

I'm a little unclear if someone used that verbiage with you in any way, there's a hope. They can and do make manual exceptions in January/Feb and, depending on a few other factors (mostly member profitability), might give you a surprise positive answer.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Wow, R fares - news to me, too.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Abidjan
Wow, R fares - news to me, too.
How the mighty have fallen. R used to be the fare class universally reserved to designate flights on the supersonic Concorde, set aside by all airlines in respect to this unique category of air travel. With the demise of Concorde, and no supersonic airplane on the horizon, it became a free for all among airlines to use it as they pleased. IIRC SQ uses R as a designator for its A380 Suites.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
I think that's a bit deceptive, or at least inconsistent, to not even have the fare class 'R' in the Alaska Air earning table. In contrast, they list all the CX deep discount fares 'K, M, L, V, Q, S, G, N' as "no mileage credit" in CX earning table.

edit: A quick search via Google and FT show that this isn't the online fare class & airline combination that aren't listed in the AA earning tables. So perhaps not that inconsistent. A bit of quick research when booking the flight would have provided sufficient education on the matter beforehand. If I was banking on the flight for EXP I would have done some research - I sure know that I triple-checked that last few QF flights would earn 500 EQM before banking on them to put me over EXP the last two weeks of December.

Last edited by corncob; Jan 24, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.