Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by oregonian
Hi,
1. Does anyone have any more information at this point? Will USAIR honor Alaska as a partner airline in the near future. Our current small airport has only Alaska Airlines (Horizon) and I can only use my AA miles for it right now. My USAIR miles are just sitting there!!

2. After the complete merger, will our combined miles be considered USAIR or AA miles?

Thank you in advance for any insights.
No changes and doubt there will be at this point. Once combined US will be retired and AA will be the new airline and program. Hopefully Doug will keep the AS partnership
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
Originally Posted by CDKing
No changes and doubt there will be at this point. Once combined US will be retired and AA will be the new airline and program. Hopefully Doug will keep the AS partnership
I hope the AAdvantage/Dividend Miles merger is accomplished quickly in 2015. We have had several Alaska flights this year that we credited to AA or AS. We have an upcoming itinerary involving Alaska and Qantas. Because we're Gold with US, it makes the most sense to credit the Qantas flights to US to help maintain status next year and for a 50% bonus. We've learned that we can't have both our Alaska and US numbers in the reservation. It makes the most sense to ignore miles on the Alaska portion and just earn US miles on the long Qantas flights. One Alaska agent thinks we should be able to mail in our AS boarding passes to when we get home and request credit for the flights.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rvolkcpa
I hope the AAdvantage/Dividend Miles merger is accomplished quickly in 2015. We have had several Alaska flights this year that we credited to AA or AS. We have an upcoming itinerary involving Alaska and Qantas. Because we're Gold with US, it makes the most sense to credit the Qantas flights to US to help maintain status next year and for a 50% bonus. We've learned that we can't have both our Alaska and US numbers in the reservation. It makes the most sense to ignore miles on the Alaska portion and just earn US miles on the long Qantas flights. One Alaska agent thinks we should be able to mail in our AS boarding passes to when we get home and request credit for the flights.
The AS agent is correct. Since you won't get credit for the AS segments to your US DM accounts, you can request those segments be credited to an AS partner - whether to AS, AA or someone else. Not sure how the retro-active credit works with AS - most US carriers allow for retro-active claims to be done online and thus, the boarding passes are not required. However, it's safe to hold on to them until you get proper credit.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
The AS agent is correct. Since you won't get credit for the AS segments to your US DM accounts, you can request those segments be credited to an AS partner - whether to AS, AA or someone else. Not sure how the retro-active credit works with AS - most US carriers allow for retro-active claims to be done online and thus, the boarding passes are not required. However, it's safe to hold on to them until you get proper credit.
AS will want copy of BP for retro credit into AS program
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:06 am

AS will want copy of BP for retro credit into AS program
Thanks Phoenixtinct and CDKing for the suggestions.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by rvolkcpa
Have you looked at the earnings on the fare you have? QANTAS has some fare codes at 50% (and even 25%) earnings with US. While I think AS gives full credit for all fare codes.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Have you looked at the earnings on the fare you have? QANTAS has some fare codes at 50% (and even 25%) earnings with US. While I think AS gives full credit for all fare codes.
Our mainline QF flights earn full credit (110% in Premium Economy), plus a 50% bonus for OneWorld Sapphire. We will get fewer US miles on some of the interior flights, but with the 50% bonus we'll still get more than if we credit to AS, plus it helps us qualify for Dividend Miles Gold status next year.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:12 pm

CDKing, I have been traveling and am tardy in thanking you for this info.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: Free Agent
This is one of the disadvantages of being a US mile-crediting member right now. When we switched to OW we gave up the United network for intra-west trips, but we can't credit the AS miles to our accounts like AA members can. For example, on the day that I need to go to ANC in December, US doesn't fly the route. AA doesn't either, so I'm left with connecting to AS and not crediting that segment for qualification purposes. I really wish the departure from *A coincided with the start of a US-AS relationship.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
This is one of the disadvantages of being a US mile-crediting member right now. When we switched to OW we gave up the United network for intra-west trips, but we can't credit the AS miles to our accounts like AA members can. For example, on the day that I need to go to ANC in December, US doesn't fly the route. AA doesn't either, so I'm left with connecting to AS and not crediting that segment for qualification purposes. I really wish the departure from *A coincided with the start of a US-AS relationship.
Yes, a lot of things make sense from a FF perspective but management has been very slow in implementing them. The US-AS relationship being one of them. Hopefully, the program integration will take place early on in 2015 and maintaining 2 accounts won't be necessary.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:25 pm

Adding some info I didn't find when searching this thread. I flew last week on an AS companion fare (ie, my ticket was the $99 fare) OAK-OGG RT. I woke up this morning (Wednesday morning, as seems to be the consensus for when we will see AS miles posted) to 100% miles and 100% points credited for the flights. I was surprised since AA policy is not to credit miles for companion fares. Especially surprised to see 100% points and not 50%. Good news all around!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Hokie01
Adding some info I didn't find when searching this thread. I flew last week on an AS companion fare (ie, my ticket was the $99 fare) OAK-OGG RT. I woke up this morning (Wednesday morning, as seems to be the consensus for when we will see AS miles posted) to 100% miles and 100% points credited for the flights. I was surprised since AA policy is not to credit miles for companion fares. Especially surprised to see 100% points and not 50%. Good news all around!
AA doesn't, but AS does give full miles credit to companion fare.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:48 pm

I just got some conflicting info, and am wondering if someone here can clear it up for me.

I booked on AA.com for an AA flight number, operated by AS. I have status on both, but I've never actually booked it this way, I have always booked directly with the operating airline. (Don't ask why I did it differently this time, I don't know...).

Anyway, I was calling AA CS to get my AS record locator to change seats, and she happened to mention that I still check in with AA, not AS. That's what I'd originally thought, but this thread has several people saying you check in with AS.

So, can someone confirm for me, if I have a reservation purchased from AA on an AS flight, do I check in with AA or AS? I want to make sure I get a BP with both my status and my Pre-Check on it.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cardboard55
So, can someone confirm for me, if I have a reservation purchased from AA on an AS flight, do I check in with AA or AS?
Assuming it's your first or only segment, you check in with AS.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kieron
Assuming it's your first or only segment, you check in with AS.
It is. But the thing that confuses me is, if I hadn't called, I wouldn't have the AS PNR to check in with. So it seems surprising to me that I'd be expected to do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.