Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by maizenblue07
My boarding pass for an AS flight does not list my AA status on it. How will they know I qualify for priority boarding? Should I bring my AA card?

FWIW, my AA status is listed when I pull up my reservation on the AS website.
Originally Posted by Microwave
I can't remember what the BP looked like last time, but "partner elites" will be called with AS MVPs and those in row 6 (bulkhead row of economy), which is the second real group called (after pre-boards and First/MVP Gold/75K) and your AA elite card should get you past that hurdle quite easily. As this is one of the benefits that has been around for years (before the ones mentioned above in this thread), it's one that gate agents should have no problem interpreting and granting.
Last year I had an AS BP that said "AA PLAT" on it. I'd bring my card just in case, before they started printing the status on the BP I'd show the card and they'd let me board with AS MVPs.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Thanks!

Gold does not seem to print on Alaska BPs. On one leg I traveled with a PLAT co-worker and PLAT does print on BPs.

The first Alaska flight I was on, the GA was very intent on studying my AA card on my iPhone. After that, I made sure to have it out when boarding. Some GAs have not looked at all and others have given it barely a glance.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
My AS BP had my AA EXP status printed on it, both the self-print and kiosk versions. They included Delta's various medallion levels and AA EXP with the MVP Gold 75K and MVP Gold boarding. (Sunday Night @ EWR)
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't believe AS BPs will show Gold on it, I think it's just Plat and EXP. But I'm sure showing your AA Gold card will be enough for the agents, I used to do it in 2009 and 2010 before they instituted as many reciprocal benefits.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
AS / Alaska Airlines and AAdvantage Members, Miles and Benefits

All, from my understanding, if I fly on Alaska Airlines and give my AAdvantage number, I'll get full EQM's on American, correct?

Assuming the answer to the above is yes, I'm very curious if after January 7th if I can get full PQM's on Alaska Airlines when crediting to my Dividend Miles account. Any one have any thoughts on this feasibility (even though it would just be speculation at this point)?

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 11, 2014 at 6:07 pm Reason: restore original post title
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's always best to check the partner earnings charts, to avoid fare class surprises (Cathay Pacific has some landmines) or elite status bonus surprises.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...lines/main.jsp

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...itestatusbonus
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
All, from my understanding, if I fly on Alaska Airlines and give my AAdvantage number, I'll get full EQM's on American, correct?

Assuming the answer to the above is yes, I'm very curious if after January 7th if I can get full PQM's on Alaska Airlines when crediting to my Dividend Miles account. Any one have any thoughts on this feasibility (even though it would just be speculation at this point)?
You wont be able to credit to your Dividend Miles account. The most likley scenario, if nothing is changed with the AS/AA partnership, is you will credit to your AAdvantage account (the surviving program) and at some point the EQM/RDM from both will be combined into the AAdvantage account
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by CDKing
You wont be able to credit to your Dividend Miles account. The most likley scenario, if nothing is changed with the AS/AA partnership, is you will credit to your AAdvantage account (the surviving program) and at some point the EQM/RDM from both will be combined into the AAdvantage account
^ this.

And I devoutly hope that nothing changes with the AS/AA partnership post-merger.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
I agree -- I collect miles on Alaska and what used to be USAirways. I've found using miles on USAirways to be OK for Europe trips -- their search approach works pretty well for USAirways specific routing -- for partner airlines -- not so much as in not at all.

With Alaska Airlines -- especially with their updates in the past year, searching for miles based flights to Europe and to the South Pacific has been very straightforward.

It will be interesting to see what the merger does for the programs -- I sincerely hope that the search engine available on American today is what is used -- though frankly, these days, the Alaska miles based search is actually easier to use than what American has currently.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Is there any way to get an upgrade on a AS operated flight if I book through AA?

Miles? Money? AS upgrade certs? Anything?

Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by smashr
Is there any way to get an upgrade on a AS operated flight if I book through AA?

Miles? Money? AS upgrade certs? Anything?

Thanks!
Money. If there's space available at T-24 you can buy up to F for a pretty reasonable cost.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura
Money. If there's space available at T-24 you can buy up to F for a pretty reasonable cost.
+1

One-Way by Trip Miles For Destinations Not Noted Above Price
0 - 1,250 $50
1,251 - 2,500 $100
2,501 - 3,750 $150
3,751 and above $200

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...sUpgrades#paid
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
trade an AA upgrade with an MVP Gold with Guest upgrades

(cough)
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
trade an AA upgrade with an MVP Gold with Guest upgrades

(cough)
That would work even if I book through AA? $100 each way (this is likely SEA-ANC) seems reasonable, but may be more interested in trading for the guest upgrades if that will indeed work on an AA booked ticket)
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:51 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
No aa gold benefits on as?

Just booked a SEA-LAX flight as AA gold on AS but it doesnt allow me to select any elite flyer seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.