Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Now that they are official, Golds have an uneven relation with AS's Gold-equivalent MVP status. MVPs get access to AA elite security lines and preferred seats. However, AA elites do not get these benefits when flying AS.

Last edited by Xero; Nov 3, 2011 at 3:23 pm
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Xero
Now that they are unofficial, Golds have an uneven relation with AS's Gold-equivalent MVP status. MVPs get access to AA elite security lines and preferred seats. However, AA elites do not get these benefits when flying AS.
What would you expect from AS? They have no loyalty or interest in making any other airline better. They'll take any partner and benefit as they are superior to the program they offer.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Security Express Lines at SEA

In previous thread I thought there was a suggestion Gold might be able to use Security Express Line at SEA by showing their AA Gold card even when flying AS. Anyone trying this, please report. Have a flight to SNA with 3 others on RL booked on AS. Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Alaska Air Elite Status for EXPs

We are excited to announce that, as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum® member, you can now enjoy elite status benefits when flying on Alaska Airlines. These new benefits include:
• Priority check-in and boarding
• Express security line at select airports
• Preferred seating
• Waived checked baggage charges for the first two bags
Our relationship with Alaska Airlines has been in place for more than ten years and provides you with the opportunity to utilize their extensive network to earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles. And, of course, the miles you earn for travel on Alaska also count toward your qualification for elite status in the AAdvantage program.

Learn more about your new benefits on Alaska Airlines.

Thank you for your business. We hope you will enjoy these new benefits and look forward to seeing
you onboard.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Well, now they waive checked bag charges for AAPLT's. Just 6 weeks after I had to pay $80 to bring my fish boxes back! Well, good for the next trip, I suppose.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by Xero
Now that they are unofficial, Golds have an uneven relation with AS's Gold-equivalent MVP status. MVPs get access to AA elite security lines and preferred seats. However, AA elites do not get these benefits when flying AS.
Not sure what you mean, or maybe you are speaking strictly for AA Gold level?

Dear SJCFLyerLG, AAdvantage Platinum® card

We are excited to announce that, as an AAdvantage Platinum® member, you can now enjoy elite status benefits when flying on Alaska Airlines. These new benefits include:

Priority check-in and boarding
Express security line at select airports
Preferred seating
Waived checked baggage charges for the first two bags
Does this not apply to Gold?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
Not sure what you mean, or maybe you are speaking strictly for AA Gold level?

Does this not apply to Gold?
I am talking about the Gold level. See here:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/EliteAS.jsp
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-benefits.aspx
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Just got the same email as a Plat. But, this isn't new, right? The last time I flew AS (last year) I had all that. Well, don't know about baggage as I carried-on.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
Well, now they waive checked bag charges for AAPLT's. Just 6 weeks after I had to pay $80 to bring my fish boxes back! Well, good for the next trip, I suppose.
As an EXP I had to pay a checked bag fee in June, so this is new news/good news.^

If the preferred seating actually becomes available, easily, this will also be new news/good news.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM HHonors Diamond
As an EXP flying the LAX-MFR/MFR-LAX routes, I have had boarding priority and access to exit row seats (via the EXP desk) for at least a year. I have no experience with bags, though.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If I am an AAdmirals Club member flying Alaska on an AA marketed code share (flight 6865), can I still get access to the Alaska boardroom?

Technically, the fine print says "operated and marketed by American Airlines".

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/ACExpandAccess.jsp
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
AA Mileage multiplier on AS?

Is there a mileage multiplier (AA miles) option for flying on Alaska?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by chix
You now have access to Alaska Airlines Board Room locations in Seattle, WA; Portland, OR; and Anchorage, AK when presenting a valid Admirals Club membership card along with a same day ticket/boarding pass on a flight operated and marketed by American Airlines. Additionally, two guests or immediate family members traveling with you are welcome at no additional charge.
FINALLY!!!
At PDX, the Board Room is right across from C9, the gate that AA uses. I've been waiting/hoping for this for a long time...
Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
I noticed that the AA page for these benefits on AS also says it may take up to 30 days for mileage to post. Doesn't sound like something I would want to risk closer to December. The whole "send us receipts, letter" etc can cause headaches at the end of the year if trying to requalify.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something I don't see explained either here or at the aa.com site so far:

How exactly do you access these benefits, in particular when booking on Alaska's website?

Ie, is it keyed to entering your AA number while booking on Alaska's website (and them now having a way to look up what your elite status is)? Is it instant (ie, you can pick preferred seating while confirming the reservation), or is there a delay (ie, you have to come back later to pick preferred seating)?

Or do you have to book on aa.com for these benefits to work? (I see no mention of any booking method requirement in what AA has written up.)

And is there a way to get these benefits yet end up earning AS miles in the end (perhaps by switching to an AS number at check-in or at the gate), similar to how some people do with AA vs BA? Or will that cause you to lose your Preferred Seating?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.