Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantageŽ miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantageŽ miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Xero
informally, AA elites have been able to use AS elite security lines by showing their elite card. So far Golds, it's possible there might be loss in benefits in this area.
At least in SEA, AA elites should always be able to use the A/S concourse security area and get through with their AA elite cards. A/S isn't open the same hours as the other checkpoints, but it's always an option if the C or D/N checkpoints are swamped and the decision is taken not to risk it.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by Microwave
At least in SEA, AA elites should always be able to use the A/S concourse security area and get through with their AA elite cards. A/S isn't open the same hours as the other checkpoints, but it's always an option if the C or D/N checkpoints are swamped and the decision is taken not to risk it.
All of the security checkpoints in SEA list AA elites on the placards at their entryways!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
redacted deleted post content

Be nice if they would let us standby for an earlier flight w/o fee.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 3, 2011 at 6:00 pm Reason: redacted deleted post content
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Nice! With priority seat selection and 2 free checked luggage, all that's missing is reciprocal BR access for AC members. ^
That's a joke, right? ...or are you looking for BR access as an AC member traveling on AS (rather than AA)?
http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/ACExpandAccess.jsp
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
I've almost booked SEA-(AS)-SFO-(AA)-LAX before so I can take advantage of BR access in SEA and AC access in SFO. Then I realized that was crazy. I just want a SEA AC again

I am seriously considering trying to get AS MVPG as well as EXP.
Would that access be through your AAdmiral's Club membership? or is it some other perk I'm not aware of?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Nice! With priority seat selection and 2 free checked luggage, all that's missing is reciprocal BR access for AC members. ^
Aside from the limited agreement in which you have to take an AA flight, I doubt AS will give BR access to AC members when traveling on an AS flight. I'm sure AS would like the AA members to join the BR, no?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Xero
Aside from the limited agreement in which you have to take an AA flight, I doubt AS will give BR access to AC members when traveling on an AS flight. I'm sure AS would like the AA members to join the BR, no?
Why not?

AS MP and DL SkyClub members have a full reciprocal lounge agreement, can't see why the same can't be done between AS MP and AA AC members.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by mikelat
Would that access be through your AAdmiral's Club membership? or is it some other perk I'm not aware of?
Yup, through my AC membership. The craziness would be flying SEA-(AS)-SFO-(AA)-LAX to have a same-day AA boarding pass to get BR access in SEA (and regular AC access in SFO). Really not worth it for a 2ish hour flight, especially because I tend to get to SEA at T-40 if mobile boarding pass or online check-in printed boarding passes are an option.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
One oddity regarding AS lounge access is that the recently added Priority Pass benefit to US-based AmEx Platinum cardholders allows access to AS lounges. With ACs going to free WiFi for everyone, it looks like AmEx Platinums are going to end up doing better than AC members on the domestic lounge access front. Of course there's still the mythical "AC members are better accommodated in case of irregular operations" argument; irrespective of whether this is true, I just call the EXP line if I run into problems anyway. I really feel like the AmEx is a better value, especially for those along the west coast that find themselves on both AS and AA.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by Microwave
Of course there's still the mythical "AC members are better accommodated in case of irregular operations" argument; irrespective of whether this is true, I just call the EXP line if I run into problems anyway.
I'm glad you brought this up...in 3 years of heavy flying on AA as EXP (with a paid AC membership) and multiple IRROPS, I have never once had either the EXP desk nor the AC proactively "solve" issues for me. They are both very accommodating in a reactive way, but never proactive.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
AS posted a summary of elite benefits for AS elite flyers on AA here:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx

One thing I notice is that their Gold-equivilent MVP tier gets access to the AA elite security lines, something that AS does not give to its low tier elites for their security lines.

But sadly, Golds will not get access to AS's elite security lines, like MVPs.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
If I could get an AMEX Plat instead of an AC membership I would. Frankly unless you're someone who often flies into a city overnight/on a redeye and uses the AC on arrival for showers etc. before work the AC membership makes no sense over Amex Plat, if it's an option.
Hmm. I only have Amex Plt, no AC membership. I've done an early shower at the AC after SEA-DFW flight when I had a 3 hr wait for my departingn flight. Is that benefit supposed to only be for member?

I do think that with the Amex benefit of Priority Pass Select that there isn't any point in me purchasing either a BR or AC membership. The Amex Plat benefits seem to exceed either program individually.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by mikelat
Hmm. I only have Amex Plt, no AC membership. I've done an early shower at the AC after SEA-DFW flight when I had a 3 hr wait for my departingn flight. Is that benefit supposed to only be for member?

I do think that with the Amex benefit of Priority Pass Select that there isn't any point in me purchasing either a BR or AC membership. The Amex Plat benefits seem to exceed either program individually.
No, my point was simply that AC membership grants access on arrival at your final destination, while AMEX PLT requires an onward flight on AA. I've used my AC membership on arrival on 268 a couple of times before dealing with getting into Manhattan.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Traveling with 3 family members

I am AA Gold traveling with 3 family members SEA to SNA on same record locator. How many free bags can we check? Are all able to have priority boarding? Can we use the elite TSA line at SEA?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:21 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
New Elite Status Benefits on Alaska Airlines Oct 26, 2011

Nothing new here that hasn't been discussed/speculated, but it's nice to see some artwork with the announcement and having the enclosed FAQ will surely come in handy.

Now AAdvantageŽ elite status members can enjoy new benefits, including priority check-in and boarding, express security lanes, preferred seating and waived checked baggage fees, when flying on Alaska Airlines. See the chart below for details...
Link to aa.com.

(I'll let the Mods decide the best thread this should be merged into, perhaps this one?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.