Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by JHIN
Just booked a SEA-LAX flight as AA gold on AS but it doesnt allow me to select any elite flyer seats?
Not sure what an elite flyer seat is, but you need to be EXP or PLT to receive preferred seats on AS:

AAdvantage Executive Platinum and AAdvantage Platinum members have access to the following additional benefits when traveling on Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air:

Preferred seating
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:01 pm

can i earn eqp's with an alaska airlines purchased ticket?

I am taking a flight from EWR to Seattle on Sunday. I bought this ticket through the Alaska website with an Alaska companion code (so my girlfriend can fly with for $99). It is therefore in a deep discounted fare category. When I purchased the ticket, I used my Alaska Mileage Plan number.

I recently signed up for the American Airlines Passport Challenge on Facebook, and if I get 1200 EQP's before the contest ends in May, I will receive an extra 2500 miles. I was thinking I would switch my frequent flyer number on this flight from my Alaska number to my American Airlines number, so I could score the required EQP's and get the extra 2500 miles.

Does anyone know if this would work or not?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: None
The first thing to do is make sure that your flight is codeshared with AA. If it's not you're unlikely to get any AA miles/points for it.

Next is AS' requirements for the companion fare - if it's only good on AS flights the last thing you want to do is use your AA FF number and lose your companion ticket.

If both of those are positive, then check to see if AA gives EQP's for travel on AS codeshare flights.

Jim
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I earned EQP's for an Alaska operated and marketed flight (purchased from Alaska) two weeks ago. That isn't to say they will count for your promotion, of course. Sometimes promotions require the points to be earned on actual AA flights. Do you have the terms and conditions from the promotion?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
The first thing to do is make sure that your flight is codeshared with AA. If it's not you're unlikely to get any AA miles/points for it.
That is simply not true whatsoever. All Alaska Airlines published fares earn EQP, EQM, and RDM on AA as if it were an AA flight, end of story. AA does not need to codeshare on the route.

The relationship AA and AS have is very unique among AA's partners when it comes to mileage earning.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
That is simply not true whatsoever. All Alaska Airlines published fares earn EQP, EQM, and RDM on AA as if it were an AA flight, end of story. AA does not need to codeshare on the route.

The relationship AA and AS have is very unique among AA's partners when it comes to mileage earning.
i concur
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:40 am

ok, thanks for all the helpful answers. it sounds to me like this will probably work (promotion rules are here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/aadvanta...challengeterms

Worst case scenario, I get American miles instead of Alaska miles with no bonus, which isn't' a big deal to me.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Does anyone have an update on trying to stand by (for free) for an earlier AS flight as an AA elite? Of course, it's not a published benefit (other than on specified shuttle flights), but I wonder if there's any difference in practice. I am thinking to book a decent connection at PDX to the short PDX-EUG flight, and if the timing works, try to hop on an earlier flight to Eugene, which often has a light load.

Does anyone know whether practice might be a bit more flexible than what's on the web site?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I wouldn't count on being able to do this, but it can't hurt to ask.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Go Bears!
IME I have not been able to standby for free on AS @SEA but I was able to do it at BRW, a very small station.

Last edited by jlin011; Apr 23, 2014 at 1:15 pm Reason: edited locations... forgot about BRW
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by Hayden
Does anyone have an update on trying to stand by (for free) for an earlier AS flight as an AA elite? Of course, it's not a published benefit (other than on specified shuttle flights), but I wonder if there's any difference in practice. I am thinking to book a decent connection at PDX to the short PDX-EUG flight, and if the timing works, try to hop on an earlier flight to Eugene, which often has a light load.

Does anyone know whether practice might be a bit more flexible than what's on the web site?
Often been able to stand by, never for free. It's technically a same-day confirmed change and costs $25.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by beerup
Often been able to stand by, never for free. It's technically a same-day confirmed change and costs $25.
I love that about Alaska. At $25, it's so affordable that no one that wants to switch to another flight should have a problem paying it. And this is for a confirmed seat on another flight - even if the ticket is issued by another airline, I. e. AA or BA.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
I love that about Alaska. At $25, it's so affordable that no one that wants to switch to another flight should have a problem paying it. And this is for a confirmed seat on another flight - even if the ticket is issued by another airline, I. e. AA or BA.
Yup. It used to also include co-terminals. It does not any more but it's still pretty good.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (since 1987) PLAT. USAir Dividend, AF Flying Blue.
Originally Posted by beerup
This sounds such a friendly airline to customers !
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hayden

Can you just book the tight connection? Shouldn't be a problem if you end up missing it, assuming light loads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.