Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I've never heard of a case where you check in with the marketing airline instead of the operating airline. A codeshare is simply permission to sell seats on the operating airlines flight. The one difference here when booking as an AA flight vs. an AS flight is that if you credit to AAdvantage the AA chart will be used instead of AS. If you credit to AS, I'm not sure how that will work out.

Codeshares are usually tricky when it comes to mileage accrual and benefits. But I'm sure the AA agent was wrong. I've booked many trips on multiple carriers with multiple PNRs - most of the time the extra ones are not provided and you have to call in to get them if you really need them. Airlines usually can locate your reservation without a PNR, so it's not an imperative piece of information but it certainly helps.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Cardboard55
It is. But the thing that confuses me is, if I hadn't called, I wouldn't have the AS PNR to check in with. So it seems surprising to me that I'd be expected to do that.
You never need the PNR to check in. (At least, I never have, and I never provide it unless asked.) Your name, ID, and maybe destination is all you need.

Think about it: in many cases, when you're on a codeshare flight, it's because the marketing airline doesn't even fly to your origin or destination, so there's no way you could check in with the marketing airline. Certainly, when I fly AA*/AS or DL*/AS flights, it's often because I'm flying to tiny airports in the Northwest that are served by Alaska/Horizon but no other airline. Even when the marketing airline does operate out of your originating airport, you always follow the check in procedures dictated by the airline operating your first segment.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
A couple of questions for our upcoming AS itinerary, booked on AS with my AS FF number:

- Can I now change the FF number to my EXP number to get elite benefits? If so, would that be over the phone with AS?
- Do those benefits (chiefly preferred seating) carry over to my wife, who's on the same PNR?

Thanks......
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Explore
A couple of questions for our upcoming AS itinerary, booked on AS with my AS FF number:

- Can I now change the FF number to my EXP number to get elite benefits? If so, would that be over the phone with AS?
- Do those benefits (chiefly preferred seating) carry over to my wife, who's on the same PNR?
Yes, yes (iirc, you can also change it on-line within 24 hours of the flight) & yes.
Old May 10, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by maizenblue07
Gold does not seem to print on Alaska BPs. On one leg I traveled with a PLAT co-worker and PLAT does print on BPs.

The first Alaska flight I was on, the GA was very intent on studying my AA card on my iPhone. After that, I made sure to have it out when boarding. Some GAs have not looked at all and others have given it barely a glance.
Anyone know if it is still the case that Gold should not print on AS BPs?

I'm flying AS tomorrow as AA Gold and there's nothing on my BP that would suggest I'm eligible for priority boarding.

I assume this is no big deal, but I figured I'd check because I only hit Gold last week and I flew several AA/US flights that were booked before I hit Gold and they all had problems recognizing me as elite until agents adjusted the reservations.
Old May 10, 2015, 4:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by chrisremo
Anyone know if it is still the case that Gold should not print on AS BPs?

I'm flying AS tomorrow as AA Gold and there's nothing on my BP that would suggest I'm eligible for priority boarding.

I assume this is no big deal, but I figured I'd check because I only hit Gold last week and I flew several AA/US flights that were booked before I hit Gold and they all had problems recognizing me as elite until agents adjusted the reservations.
Do you have a mobile with the AA app you can show your status with?
Old May 10, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JDiver
Do you have a mobile with the AA app you can show your status with?
I'd be using iOS Passbook for both the boarding pass and my elite status card since I don't have a physical card, which seems kind of awkward since I'd have to swipe around to switch—so maybe I'll just be sure to have my BP printed out and have my AA card queued up on my phone.
Old May 10, 2015, 9:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Odd that AA Gold doesn't print on AS BPs when it shows on the Alaska My Reservations page. Oh well, that's why I keep the card in my wallet when I'm traveling.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Status using AA miles on AS?

Does my status with AA (using AA miles for an award) get me anything when it comes to seat selection when using that award on Alaska?
Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by pkerr
Does my status with AA (using AA miles for an award) get me anything when it comes to seat selection when using that award on Alaska?
Thanks
On revenue tickets, your AA Status grants you access to any available seat in the cabin at no extra charge. I would assume, but can't confirm that the same will apply on an award ticket.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
On revenue tickets, your AA Status grants you access to any available seat in the cabin at no extra charge. I would assume, but can't confirm that the same will apply on an award ticket.
Confirmed. Both when flying myself on an award ticket and when I'm on a paid ticket and my no-status traveling companion is on a separate award ticket. (Have to call AS in the latter case.)
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Free checked bags, early boarding as well.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 2:51 pm

Similar vain:

My Cousin is using his AA miles on AS, has no status with AA but he is an AS MVP 75K (which I think is their highest tier).

He asked AA to add his AS number but the Agent claimed as it is an award ticket he has to have his AA number attached.

He would like to pick a better seat for free which he would be entitled to if he were able to add his AS number, is the Agent right or is it a case of hang up and call again?

Thanks,
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kmersh
Similar vain:

My Cousin is using his AA miles on AS, has no status with AA but he is an AS MVP 75K (which I think is their highest tier).

He asked AA to add his AS number but the Agent claimed as it is an award ticket he has to have his AA number attached.

He would like to pick a better seat for free which he would be entitled to if he were able to add his AS number, is the Agent right or is it a case of hang up and call again?

Thanks,
You can get the AS record locator and enter the AS number in there. If that's not possible, call AS and have them do it.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:54 am

I'll be flying on AS this week on an award ticket using AA miles as a Platimum flyer. I also have a known traveler number so use pre-check.

2 quick questions - The ticket was booked with AA, and I have no relationship with AS. Will my known traveller info be taken into account whe I check in? I know I get free checked bags....will my status be reflected in the AS system even though booked as a FF ticket on AA?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.