Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage (since 1987) PLAT. USAir Dividend, AF Flying Blue.
Hi,
About to book the direct flight LAX-MEX.
An difference booking through alaskaair.com vs aa.com ?
For AAdvantage Gold ?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by FabrizioB
Hi,
About to book the direct flight LAX-MEX.
An difference booking through alaskaair.com vs aa.com ?
For AAdvantage Gold ?
If you book through AA.com as an AA codeshare, miles will post same or next day. Booking AS-coded (through either site), miles will post in 3-8 days.

The main advantage of booking through alaskaair.com is they offer a best-price guarantee where they will refund the difference if they subsequently offer the flight for a lower fare on their site (you have to manually check and call in). There's also a price match for other sites within 24 hours of booking (which, of course, is within the mandated free cancellation window anyway).

In terms of benefits you receive, it makes no difference which site you book on or whether it is AA or AS coded.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Alaska also has lower change fees.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by beerup
Often been able to stand by, never for free. It's technically a same-day confirmed change and costs $25.
This is a very customer friendly policy. Here are the rules:
- standby is confirmed (so not really standby)
- there must be at least 1 revenue seat for sale (can not do $25 standby if there are no seats for sale but it does include any flight they are willing to sell a seat on)
- you can only standby for an earlier or later flight 6 hours ealier or later then your confirmed ticket
- you can only standby for the route you are flying. So you can say, oh I would like to go to Portland when you are ticketed to Chicago.
- virtually every ticket can do this. Award ticket, full fare or el-cheapo ticket.

You can standby via online check in or kiosk. Not sure if its possible to do via the phone.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Not able to select AS "Premium Seats"

Just tried to make a booking on the AS website. As an AA Platinum, I thought I would be able to select Premium and Exit Row seats. However, I was not able to do so. So, is this something one should be able to do at booking, or do you have to call?
Old May 12, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Wexflyer
Just tried to make a booking on the AS website. As an AA Platinum, I thought I would be able to select Premium and Exit Row seats. However, I was not able to do so. So, is this something one should be able to do at booking, or do you have to call?
I was able to select AS seats 2 weeks ago on their website. I am AA Platinum.
Is your AA number showing up in the reservation?
If you can't book online, then they will help you when you call.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
I was able to select AS seats 2 weeks ago on their website. I am AA Platinum.
Is your AA number showing up in the reservation?
If you can't book online, then they will help you when you call.
As a matter of interest - did you book directly on AS, and select at time of booking?
I entered my AA no. as part of the booking process, but does not seem to recognise that I am Platinum.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I also got to choose premium seats as an AA platinum making an AS reservation and inputting my AA #; my ticket was purchased from the AS website.
Old May 12, 2014, 4:51 pm

Tried a different browser - no difference. So, I went ahead and bought ticket without seat assignment. AFTER - but only after - I bought the ticket, this message appeared:
"Your AAdvantage Elite status has been confirmed.
There may be new seats available to you, click Change Seats to view the updated seat maps."

Last edited by Wexflyer; May 12, 2014 at 4:58 pm
Old May 12, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Tried a different browser - no difference. So, I went ahead and bought ticket without seat assignment. AFTER - but only after - I bought the ticket, this message appeared:
There may be new seats available to you, click Change Seats to view the updated seat maps."
Your AA status would have also been recognized if you had put the ticket on hold before purchasing it.
Old May 12, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by grrizzli
Your AA status would have also been recognized if you had put the ticket on hold before purchasing it.
I'm pretty sure that AS does not allow you to hold a ticket. They have 24 hour free cancelation and free cancelations 60+ days prior to the first flight.

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by grrizzli
AS doesn't have a Hold option. Just a 24 hour refund.

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Yes, this is my experience with AS (and plenty of it being SEA based). You have to complete the purchase and then go back and select seats in order to get your AA seat selection benefits.
Old May 12, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
What mikelat said. Buy the ticket on AS. After the confirmation page, you'll have the opportunity to change seats - assuming you entered in your AA number and it's recognized.
Old May 12, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flymonthly
I'm pretty sure that AS does not allow you to hold a ticket. They have 24 hour free cancelation and free cancelations 60+ days prior to the first flight.
I always book AS flights using my EasyBiz account. That one has the hold option. It looks like that the standard alaskaair website indeed doesn't have the hold option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.