Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantageŽ miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantageŽ miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA: Plat HH:Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
You will indeed get a segment for it.
Thank you
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I am AA Exec Plat and recently requested status match on AS (still not cleared). Next year, I have a few flights on AA, including one international. For domestic flights, if I credit my miles to AS, would I still get complimentary upgrades? For international, would I be able to use my SWUs while crediting miles to AS?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by jediwho
I am AA Exec Plat and recently requested status match on AS (still not cleared). Next year, I have a few flights on AA, including one international. For domestic flights, if I credit my miles to AS, would I still get complimentary upgrades?
No. Your AA frequent flyer number has to be in the record for you to receive status benefits like upgrades. (You can probably get some things like early boarding by flashing your EXP card, but flashing a card won't get you on the upgrade list in the computer.) You could try changing to the AS number after your upgrade clears, but you risk losing the upgrade. I won't comment either way on the morality of that.

For international, would I be able to use my SWUs while crediting miles to AS?
Yes. SWUs can be used to upgrade anyone, status or no.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ashill
No. Your AA frequent flyer number has to be in the record for you to receive status benefits like upgrades. (You can probably get some things like early boarding by flashing your EXP card, but flashing a card won't get you on the upgrade list in the computer.) You could try changing to the AS number after your upgrade clears, but you risk losing the upgrade. I won't comment either way on the morality of that.

Yes. SWUs can be used to upgrade anyone, status or no.
Thanks, this is very helpful! Good point on SWUs.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Question AS Premium Class rollout in 2017

Has anyone heard if AA elite benefits for Plat and EXP on AS flights will change with Alaska's rollout of Premium Class seating in 2017? Currently, AA Plat and EXP have access to "Preferred seating" but according to Alaska's updated website:

"On aircraft that do not have Premium Class, Preferred Plus will be offered for seats in the bulkhead and exit rows. Preferred Plus seats provide extra legroom but do not include other amenities.
Preferred Plus seats will not be available on aircraft that have been configured with the Premium Class cabin."

The FAQ says all 737-800 and E175 will have Premium class in Jan. 2017, which means no "preferred" seating available for AA elites. Their 737-900s will be reconfigured later in the year. My guess is that AA will eventually update their website to clarify the exact benefits...
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wylek
Has anyone heard if AA elite benefits for Plat and EXP on AS flights will change with Alaska's rollout of Premium Class seating in 2017? Currently, AA Plat and EXP have access to "Preferred seating" but according to Alaska's updated website:

"On aircraft that do not have Premium Class, Preferred Plus will be offered for seats in the bulkhead and exit rows. Preferred Plus seats provide extra legroom but do not include other amenities.
Preferred Plus seats will not be available on aircraft that have been configured with the Premium Class cabin."

The FAQ says all 737-800 and E175 will have Premium class in Jan. 2017, which means no "preferred" seating available for AA elites. Their 737-900s will be reconfigured later in the year. My guess is that AA will eventually update their website to clarify the exact benefits...
That is in contradiction to information found in this thread in the Alaksa Airlines forum:
In there it's been claimed that on aircraft that have Premium class, the exit rows (and exit rows only) will continue to be Preferred Plus. Of course, not everyone qualifies for sitting in an exit row (for example, children under 15), so it's not a complete substitute, and Alaska Airlines may not want to explain all the intricacies of that on that website (in that most airlines don't promote exit row seats at all).

And for historical reference, in the days before MCE (but after MRTC's death), it was exit rows that were the only extra legroom seats available for advance booking by elites on AA planes.

... On another point, Jan 2017 is just the equipment date. Those seats will not be sold as Premium until at least Feb 2017 flights. For Jan 2017 flights, things are as they were before in booking terms, you just find yourself in a nicer seat should you be in that row. That again has been discussed a lot in the linked thread.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
From the present info, the only 'preferred seating' that AA Elites will have on planes that have Premium Class will be the exit row. All rows forward of that will be Premium Class and only available to AA elites for a fee (not discount either apparently, same fee as no-status person).
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Aadvantage Mbr Booking/Flying via AS

My spouse & I want to fly MKE-SEA in a few weekends and want to take advantage (haha!) of AS's nonstop. I didn't see it as an option on aa.com (and I did select All Airlines in the search). Can I somehow book via AS's website and still get Aadvantage miles for the flight?

Last edited by gsupstate; Nov 19, 2016 at 9:48 am
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:46 am

Yes. Breaking news: American and Alaska are partners.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Yes. Breaking news: American and Alaska are partners.
I'm aware of that - What then is the process for ensuring one gets proper credit? Will the AS website allow one to enter their Aadvantage#?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:54 am

Yes...
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gsupstate
My spouse & I want to fly MKE-SEA in a few weekends and want to take advantage (haha!) of AS's nonstop. I didn't see it as an option on aa.com (and I did select All Airlines in the search). Can I somehow book via AS's website and still get Aadvantage miles for the flight?
Search is you friend, which is why it's recommended before starting a new thread . This prevents information fragmentation so people can find information more easily. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page for the information you are seeking.

/Moderator

I've never had any difficulty booking on the Alaska (or other - it matters not where you buy your ticket) website and getting AAdvantage credit - be sure to check the earnings chart linked to in the Wikipost so you book an eligible fare (not all are), insert your AA number and you earn miles; it's really that easy.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 4:14 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
be sure to check the earnings chart linked to in the Wikipost so you book an eligible fare (not all are)
Obviously right to check the earning chart, but I believe all paid AS fare buckets do now earn AA miles. Until recently, R and G earned zippo. However, when AA rolled out the new earning chart when revenue-based RDM earning started, R and G became valid fare classes (earning 0.25 and 0.50 RDMs/mile flown, respectively, and both earn 0.5 EQMs/mile flown).
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Earning EQM on an Alaska flight less than 500 miles

Hi
I booked a B fare from SJC-SNA which is less than 500 miles.

On this link it says:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ite-status.jsp
AAdvantageŽ members have a base of 500 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American, oneworldŽ airlines and Alaska Airlines. To calculate final EQMs earned, the multiplier for airline and booking code flown is applied to this base.

and on this link it says:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp
B fares get .5 EQM

I just checked my account and I only earned 250 eqm. I assumed from first link I would get a minimum of 500 eqm. Is this a mistake or the 2nd link is correct?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by frebay
Hi
I booked a B fare from SJC-SNA which is less than 500 miles.

On this link it says:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ite-status.jsp
AAdvantageŽ members have a base of 500 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American, oneworldŽ airlines and Alaska Airlines. To calculate final EQMs earned, the multiplier for airline and booking code flown is applied to this base.

and on this link it says:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp
B fares get .5 EQM

I just checked my account and I only earned 250 eqm. I assumed from first link I would get a minimum of 500 eqm. Is this a mistake or the 2nd link is correct?
You misread the first link. There's a minimum of 500 base eqms, which is then multiplied based on the fare code to get your final eqms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.